Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
OUD foods..I miss them!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:25 pm
As a teen, I used to eat OUD foods and thought nothing about it. Then I met my husband, and his family is strictly Cholov Yisroel only. So I stopped cold turkey, but I hated it Sad I miss Entenmanns baked products! Dunkin’ Donuts croissants! M&M’s! Hershey chocolate!
My question is- Are OUD products strictly not kosher or are they allowed?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:32 pm
o gosh this is gonna start a whole back and forth! lol

course theyr kosher! just diff standards. iv heard that in the US people are much more ok with this compared toUK.

we strictly dont eat these things, but I have sneaked here and there. TMI

I davka didnt eat any OUD my whole pregnancy.

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:34 pm
I eat OUD. Id give it up if I want addicted to coffee creamer!

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:45 pm
It’s called chalav Stam not OUD 😂 and of course it’s kosher!! So sad that the basic Halacha vs chumra vs kulah is not clearly understood in this and many other things. Did you think you were eating treif as a teen? Because if people think they’re eating treif
If they eat chalav Stam, it’s a hop skip and a jump to a cheese burger as far as understanding goes. . Do some research on Chalav Stam and you will understand your question better. To help you along- Milk must be chalav yisrael except In the USA as per R Moshe Feinstein, since there are laws about milk being mixed with any other kind of milk other than from a cow (ie milk from a cow is always kosher) And there are enough disincentives for farmers never to do this- thus as a kulah we can rely on non chalav yisroel milk ONLY in the USA. Chalav yisrael is not a chumrah- it’s a Halacha everywhere. Those who (myself included) rely on r moshe’s psak are relying on a kulah. Hope this helps! As an aside, if you accepted chalav yisrael upon yourself (at the time of your marriage) you may need to do Hataras nedarim to switch back. Also chalav yisrael means that the milk is watched from the time of milking- chalav Stam means that we are relying on the farmer to ensure that he has not mixed in any other kinds of treif milk which in the USA is ok to do

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 19 2020, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:46 pm
Thanks for the replies!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:02 pm
Should I buy Entenmanns donuts??

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:05 pm
OP, I’m very curious as to your question. Do you really think that the OU would give a hechsher on something that is actually not kosher?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As a teen, I used to eat OUD foods and thought nothing about it. Then I met my husband, and his family is strictly Cholov Yisroel only. So I stopped cold turkey, but I hated it Sad I miss Entenmanns baked products! Dunkin’ Donuts croissants! M&M’s! Hershey chocolate!
My question is- Are OUD products strictly not kosher or are they allowed?

How could it be “strictly not kosher” if it has a hechsher?!

Of course it’s kosher!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should I buy Entenmanns donuts??

Well, are you ok with eating OUD?

No one can answer that for you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:15 pm
giselle wrote:
OP, I’m very curious as to your question. Do you really think that the OU would give a hechsher on something that is actually not kosher?

Exactly! Why do certain people not allow OUD then?

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly! Why do certain people not allow OUD then?

Because it’s a chumra that a lot of people follow. I mean you can ask that question about so many things. Some people only eat heimishe hechsherim too...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:18 pm
My Rav, who is in Kashrus, explained to me items like entenmanns made with milk powder are not chalav stam. Powdered milk is of a different halachic status.

The issue of yoshon is a more significant concern than cholov yisrael in the US.

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:20 pm
Why do people wear tights in the summer? Why do people end shabbos 72 minutes after shkia? Why do people only eat yashan? The list goes on and on...

rmbg

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:24 pm
Comparing wearing tights and cholov yisroel is simply an uneducated (and ignorant) comparison. as mentioned above, cholov yisroel is basic halacha. Those who eat cholov Stam are relying on a major heter from r’ Moshe which is questionable if it even applies today. Do your research.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:24 pm
giselle wrote:

Yes I think.

We follow a very open minded outspoken rav and he explained to us why OUD is not ok and how Reb Moshe's words were taken out of context.

So yes there is something not okay with OUD even OU gives a hechsher on it.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:25 pm
rmbg wrote:
Comparing wearing tights and cholov yisroel is simply an uneducated (and ignorant) comparison. as mentioned above, cholov yisroel is basic halacha. Those who eat cholov Stam are relying on a major heter from r’ Moshe which is questionable if it even applies today. Do your research.

And if you know history you know it was not a heter for what OUD is.

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:26 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Yes I think.

We follow a very open minded outspoken 1rav and he explained to us why OUD is not ok and how Reb Moshe's words were taken out of context.

So yes there is something not okay with OUD even OU gives a hechsher on it.

Interesting bec the rav I follow also says that his words were taken out of context, and that R’ Moshe really held that it is even lechatchila and that the only reason it became bedieved is because of politics.

Last edited by giselle on Tue, May 19 2020, 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:27 pm
R’ Moshe Feinstein gave a kulah in the US to eat OUD for places where it is hard to get cholov yisroel.
This is why it becomes a debate, because even though nowadays there is cholov yisroel very easily available, people still rely on this kulah.

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:29 pm
rmbg wrote:

I’ve actually done a lot of research. I guess our research each turned up different results. But then again there were those who were arguing on another thread that wearing tights is halacha too, so I guess everyone can twist everything to fit their own agenda.

Btw I think it is completely uneducated and ignorant to call someone uneducated and ignorant when in fact I am quite the opposite of both in this and many areas.

Last edited by giselle on Tue, May 19 2020, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:31 pm
OP do you have a rav you trust and feel comfortable with? Maybe bring up the conversation With him and explain how difficult it is to keep cholov yisroel. It’s not the same but my rav said between meat and milk that I can keep my parents minhag
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics