Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Which is a better hospital to deliver at?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:04 pm
Monmouth North or Jersey Shore? And why? I’m looking for a new OB. This is my first pregnancy since I moved from Boro Park, so I don’t know anything about the hospitals here. Feel free to chime in with a better suggestion if you have one.

Sparkler

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:06 pm
Monmouth hospital seems to be the more popular one here in Lakewood.
I had a wonderful experience there- the nurses on the L & D ward were practically like doulas!

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:08 pm
Dinadee20 wrote:
Monmouth hospital seems to be the more popular one here in Lakewood.
I had a wonderful experience there- the nurses on the L & D ward were practically like doulas!

This! The nurse I had let me squeeze her hand and she said all the right things to help calm me down during the epidural and pushing

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:11 pm
I only have experience with Monmouth, not jersey shore and had very pleasant experiences there. Most Lakewood doctors deliver there
The last pregnancy I had I switched to ocean gyn and they deliver in Toms River- community medical center and I was super happy with the practice and the hospital.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:25 pm
Both are basically better than any Brooklyn hospital but neither are major natural minded. Community in Toms River is better.

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Both are basically better than any Brooklyn hospital but neither are major natural minded. Community in Toms River is better.

Natural minded like what?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:29 pm

Really? I never would have expected that. It seems like a dinky kind of hospital.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:29 pm
I also recently moved and am pregnant. I use RWJ-OBGYN and they deliver in RWJ hospital. It's a little further but I tend to have long labors anyway and I'm extremely happy with the practice.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:30 pm

I heard they don't have a NICU.

Sparkler

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Monmouth North or Jersey Shore? And why? I’m looking for a new OB. This is my first pregnancy since I moved from Boro Park, so I don’t know anything about the hospitals here. Feel free to chime in with a better suggestion if you have one.

Just wanted to point out (since you're from Brooklyn) that in Monmouth hospital (and possibly other NJ hospitals- I'm not familiar) all the rooms on the maternity floors are private. I took this for granted, but my Brooklyn friends taught me that I should be grateful for this.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I also recently moved and am pregnant. I use RWJ-OBGYN and they deliver in RWJ hospital. It's a little further but I tend to have long labors anyway and I'm extremely happy with the practice.

I used them also. The practice was great and the hospital staff was amazing. They do tend to be more cautious than other practices. Some think they are too cautious, but I was very happy.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I used them also. The practice was great and the hospital staff was amazing. They do tend to be more cautious than other practices. Some think they are too cautious, but I was very happy.

After my sister nearly passed away from a complicated delivery (she's fine now b"h), I don't mind cautious. It's one of the reasons I chose the practice along with the hospital.
I also found that different doctors within the practice have varying levels of caution and I'm learning who to ask what.

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:36 pm
I gave birth in both. In my experience, Monmouth nurses are very warm, while Jersey Shore OB nurses are more medically knowledgeable. Comfort vs. security in case ch"v there's an issue.

Nobody I know except my cleaning lady gave birth in Community.

ETA that I heard excellent things about RWJ from many friends over the years, particularly positive things about the way they dealt with emergencies.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:38 pm
I’ve had some complicated pregnancies, so I need a knowledgeable doctor to go along with the good hospital. I’m sure all the hospitals in the area know how to handle an 8th pregnancy. RWJ is probably further than I’m comfortable with. Some of my labors have been quick.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:40 pm
Community is a lower level hospital but will allow you and your practitioner more individual choice. Often hospital regulations restrict what a practitioner can do ie when to induce, when to C-section,what position to push in, what tests are required etc. so even if a doctor or midwife would be fine with something, they'll have to do what the hospital requires unless they want to fight the hospital especially if their group becomes part of the hospital.

Community is more chilled.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve had some complicated pregnancies, so I need a knowledgeable doctor to go along with the good hospital. I’m sure all the hospitals in the area know how to handle an 8th pregnancy. RWJ is probably further than I’m comfortable with. Some of my labors have been quick.

Although I was extremely happy with community, if you may have a complicated pregnancy you should not go there.
Also they don’t have a nicu.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Although I was extremely happy with community, if you may have a complicated pregnancy you should not go there.
Also they don’t have a nicu.

I’ve had at least two subchorionic hematomas. One resolved. One baby was born early and needed special care due to breathing issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries