Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What is Jewish music anyway????
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:10 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Bsiyata dshomays wherever I go

Amen!

zohar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:19 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Bsiyata dshomays wherever I go

Wow! While I don't regularly listen to non Jewish music, I always loved Eye of the Tiger and it was the into at many weddings including mine, but everyone knew it was the intro to The of the Tiger. Somehow I never put the two together until now.

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:24 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
???

Which side are you on? I think you just illustrated what some of us have been trying to say?

I don't like it so much when music mainly relies on drums that make a lot of noise (in my ears)... So I prefer music that is not based on a drumset, synthesizer, elektric guitar.

I prefer it, wenn the "beat" is given by other instruments than drums, e.g. by a double bass, Cello, or by a zimbal or acoustic guitar...

All this music that overly relies on the drumset as the basis is not nice in my ears.
I like classical music, specialy classical classical music (e.g. Mozart, etc.).
I also like real folk music that relies on acocustic instruments.

The classic combo for "yiddish" music (ashekanasy, eastern european music) used to be a violin, a clarinet, a double bass and sometimes a tzimbal or an accordeon to fill the middle... Or it could also be more wind instruments.

I do not understand why people who insist on listening only to "yiddishe" music would accept that the standard combo at simches would be drumset, synthesizer (singer) rather than the classical violin, clarinat, double bass, accordeon.

The drumset and the synthesized sound completely changes the character of the music.

So why would they make Takanot that people should not listen to "non-jewish" music, but forget all about their musical heritage as far as instruments are concerned?

And I thank all those who showed examples of parodies. Same question here: Why would it be allowed to steal some non-jewish song from the hitparade (without paying copyright), but not to liesten to the original??

According to what I hear at simches, the hareidische olem has quite a "proste" taste in music...
Because the baaley simcha have to pay for those musicians. if they didn't like it, they could take other musicians... It's a matter of offer and demand...

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:48 am
Ok. I'll bite. What is proste. Why do I have to keep googling words?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:51 am
avrahamama wrote:

Coarse, unrefined, common.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:52 am
avrahamama wrote:

At least in my understanding, “proste” means unrefined, coarse, often in a s-xual way. Music that throbs, tight clothing, etc.

No idea if the word is related to “pr0stitute”.

giselle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:52 am
avrahamama wrote:

Curious if that showed up on google Very Happy

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:56 am
giselle wrote:
Curious if that showed up on google Very Happy

I got that it's a German drinking salutation. Cheers in German ... Fits with my beer hall theory LOL

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:02 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I got that it's a German drinking salutation. Cheers in German ... Fits with my beer hall theory LOL

https://jel.jewish-languages.org/words/1542

It made its way into Yiddish - but I don't think from German. Probably Polish.

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:40 pm
From online dictionary: mid 16th century (as a verb): from Latin prostitut- ‘exposed publicly, offered for sale’, from the verb prostituere, from pro- ‘before’ + statuere ‘set up, place’.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:48 pm
You know what? I don't care what kind of music. As long as - whenever we're back to whatever normal will be - they don't BLAST the music to ear-piercing levels at a simcha!!!!!

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:22 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
At least in my understanding, “proste” means unrefined, coarse, often in a s-xual way. Music that throbs, tight clothing, etc.

No idea if the word is related to “pr0stitute”.

Prost means simple and could also mean coarse, unrefined, as was said.
It does not have to be derogatory.

No, there is not connection to pro-stitute...
How could anyone have this idea? those worlds are completely unrelated origins, even they would not split up the same way?
pro-stitute comes from latin: pro: in front, before, stiute: from standing.
Standing in front.
While "prost" is a word in slavic for "simple", and the whole word belongs together. you could not cut after "pro"

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:28 pm
avrahamama wrote:

That's true,but that's not what's meant...
It's actually a problem...
The German "prost" comes from latin "prosit" "it should be good, for the best" (frome the verb "prodessere"

Prost means simple in slavic languages.
In Bulgarian it even means "stupid".

so it might well happen that a bulgarian might be insulted if a German wishes him "prost" with the best of intentions...

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:33 pm
imasinger wrote:

My working definition of Jewish music is "music that has meaning for Jews as Jews."

I like!

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:34 pm
My brother is in the music industry, I was speaking to him today and he knew most of these.
Rebbe Nachman and Mishe Nichnas Adar were very famous ones, and according to my brother Piamenta is known for doing this.

If you know Israeli music Itzik Orlev has many many of his songs taken from nonjewish ones. I can't find the matches as I don't know the genre of music he takes it from so well but one of my friends told me she recognizes most of his songs.

If anyone can find the originals of those I'd be fascinated.

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:47 pm
I can't think of a single genre in which everything doesn't eventually start to sound the same. it's not just jewish music, whatever jewish music is.

not only that, but within a given genre, performers start to all sound the same because a certain type of voice or style of singing becomes popular. singers from the 50s, say, sound nothing like singers from the 70s, even if the latter are singing songs from the 50s.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:57 pm
Thanks to those who posted the originals and then the jewish songs that took the tunes. Those were all great. I used to love piamentas Smile
I was so shocked the first time I heard the original. Smile But now I love them both Smile

Laiya

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:26 pm
avrahamama wrote:
It's a slave song of the south. Pick a bale of cotton...

Yikes.

Reminds me of One Little 2 little 3 little Indians to the tune of, the Jewish months, the makkos, and probably more.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:32 pm
Laiya wrote:
Yikes.

Reminds me of One Little 2 little 3 little Indians to the tune of, the Jewish months, the makkos, and probably more.

Also the names of the shevatim

CiCi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:47 pm
Jews should not copy/steal any song from non-Jews. Jewish songs should come from a Jewish hartz. The music doesn't have to be influenced by 19th century military marches as many older Jewish Ashkenazi music is influenced by, or 17th century piyutim niggunim that many Sephardim sing.
It could have a modern, updated style and not be contradictory to a song from a Yiddishe neshame. I've heard many songs created by Jews that don't sound outdated and are beautiful.

Songs by Miriam Israeli, for example, are beautiful while being modern in style.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts