Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cheese Board

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:20 pm
What should I put on
What type of cheeses
It’s just DH and I do not too much
Not too exotic since we live OOT and we don’t get everything
No Fruit
I want something fancy/ special for Shavuot
Do olives go with it?
What else

Also we don’t mix fish with dairy

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:22 pm
Olives
Crackers
Hot peppers
Syrian cheese
Gouda cheese
Haolam cheese slices
Pretzels

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:35 pm
Whipped feta is trendy and delicious. If you can get labneh, it’s great served with olive oil and za’atar.

sweet

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:41 pm
Are there any stores in lakewood that sell fresh cut cheese?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Whipped feta is trendy and delicious. If you can get labneh, it’s great served with olive oil and za’atar.

What is whipped feta

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is whipped feta

You take feta and whip it in a food processor until fluffy and spreadable. It takes longer than you expect, but be patient and it’s delicious.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com.....88100

Amarante

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:40 pm
Baked Brie is delicious and easy. Essentially you bake the Brie with a nice jam or you can get a bit fancier.

Here are some suggestions.

baked brie recipes

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:13 am
Amarante wrote:
Baked Brie is delicious and easy. Essentially you bake the Brie with a nice jam or you can get a bit fancier.

Here are some suggestions.

baked brie recipes

Does this need to be freshly baked
I’m not getting up that early.
As soon as DH finishes davening we make kiddush and have lighting dairy
It’s for the “breakfast” kiddush
So I prefer to serve cold

Can sliced eggs go in a cheese board

So far I have
A small roll of goat cheese rolled in herb
Different slices of cheese from the multipack
Syrian String/Braided cheese
Black olives
Green olives
Roasted red pepper from a jar sliced
Sliced cucumber
Sliced tomato
Sliced eggs
Flax seed crackers
Hemp seed bread sliced - cococktail size

Does it need anything else?

I m planning to set it up Thursday afternoon for Friday morning cover with Saran Wrap

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does this need to be freshly baked
I’m not getting up that early.
As soon as DH finishes davening we make kiddush and have lighting dairy
It’s for the “breakfast” kiddush
So I prefer to serve cold

Can sliced eggs go in a cheese board

So far I have
A small roll of goat cheese rolled in herb
Different slices of cheese from the multipack
Syrian String/Braided cheese
Black olives
Green olives
Roasted red pepper from a jar sliced
Sliced cucumber
Sliced Tomato
Sliced eggs
Flax seed crackers
Hemp seed bread sliced - cococktail size

Does it need anything else?

I m planning to set it up Thursday afternoon for Friday morning cover with Saran Wrap

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:54 am
If you just top the brie with jam and nuts or honey, it "bakes" very quickly because you are essentially just warming it for about 7 to 10 minutes so the brie and the topping gets "melty" and delicious.

Take a look at this page which is a template for the brie topped with your choice of jam and nuts. It really makes a delicious very easy way to elevate brie.

https://www.themediterraneandi.....cipe/

There are other versions of baked brie which use phyllo or puff pastry to wrap the brie and the filling. You can pre these the day before but they do take longer to actually cook because you need to "bake" the wrapping.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:08 am
Amarante wrote:
If you just top the brie with jam and nuts or honey, it "bakes" very quickly because you are essentially just warming it for about 7 to 10 minutes so the brie and the topping gets "melty" and delicious.

Take a look at this page which is a template for the brie topped with your choice of jam and nuts. It really makes a delicious very easy way to elevate brie.

There are other versions of baked brie which use phyllo or puff pastry to wrap the brie and the filling. You can pre these the day before but they do take longer to actually cook because you need to "bake" the wrapping.

Oooh yum
This could work and it’s something we never had
What’s the flavor of brie
Never had it

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:15 am
Can I re- heat the Brie-
What do I do with left over

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I re- heat the Brie-
What do I do with left over

Brie is a fairly mild "creamy" cheese. It has a distinctive taste but isn't sharp. It's a pretty standard "party" cheese. If you have never had it, try it. It's even very good without the "frills" - just plain - but the combination of the sweet and the cheese is delicious and so easy - no one would suspect how easy it is because it seems so "gourmet".

Brie is typically eaten "cold" so you wouldn't need reheat it any leftovers although I guess you could. It's a soft cheese even when not heated so it's typically served on a cracker or piece of hard type of bread. You don't spread it like a cream cheese but kind of "smoosh" it as it has a soft creamy texture.

Cheese is not best eaten "cold" out of the refrigerator as it needs to sit for a short period to soften a bit. Letting it sit for a bit after taking it out lets the flavors bloom. It's really a big difference in flavor and texture when you let it sit - it's why the cheese at a party tastes better after an hour or so if you haven't let it sit before serving.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, May 21 2020, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:09 am
Amarante wrote:
Brie is a fairly mild "creamy" cheese. It has a distinctive taste but isn't sharp. It's a pretty standard "party" cheese.

Brie is typically eaten "cold" so you wouldn't reheat it any leftovers although I guess you could. It's a soft cheese even when not heated so it's typically served on a cracker or piece of hard type of bread.

Cheese is not best eaten "cold" out of the refrigerator as it needs to sit for a short period to soften a bit. Letting it sit for a bit after taking it out lets the flavors bloom. It's really a big difference in flavor and texture when you let it sit - it's why the cheese at a party tastes better after an hour or so if you haven't let it sit before serving.

I’m excited to try this
I’m guessing I can top it before hand and put it in the oven a few minutes before serving

Can it go in the oven straight from the fridge

If I present it on a cheese board, should I put it in the center or to one side
What looks nicer.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m excited to try this
I’m guessing I can top it before hand and put it in the oven a few minutes before serving

Sure but it's easy enough to make the topping the day before and then spread it on when you are ready to bake since that way you don't have to take out the cheese and try to rewrap it with the sticky topping. SO I personally would wait until the morning to actually smear the topping on but make the topping the day before.

ETA - Yes take cheese out of refrigerator and spread on topping and bake. By baking it, you don't have to let it sit to get soft and mellow since the baking does that for you.

You can use as a centerpiece depending on what else you have or you can arrange a pretty cheese board and then have this to the side. There really is no wrong or right way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:15 am
Amarante wrote:
Sure but it's easy enough to make the topping the day before and then spread it on when you are ready to bake since that way you don't have to take out the cheese and try to rewrap it with the sticky topping. SO I personally would wait until the morning to actually smear the topping on but make the topping the day before.

ETA - Yes take cheese out of refrigerator and spread on topping and bake. By baking it, you don't have to let it sit to get soft and mellow since the baking does that for you.

How many minutes

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How many minutes

Take a look at the link as it gives very good tips on how to prepare it. Generally 7 to 10 minutes but you don't want to cook it too long or it dries out.

Leftovers don't have to be reheated because then you would just leave out for a bit to soften the cheese and topping and then serve as a nosh with some crackers or even toast.

Here is link which has great tips and pictures

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:22 am
As I was sitting here thinking about party cheeses, I remembered pimento cheese. This is a wonderful way to dress up cheese and can even be used as a delicious sandwich - grilled cheese sandwich or just with crackers.

It's a classic recipe so there are as many variants as there are Southern Bubbes - my joke since it's a traditional food of the American South so each family would have its own recipe just as each Jewish family would use their Bubbe's recipe for kreplach, matzoh balls etc.

Pimento Cheese

Pimento cheese is a tangy and creamy cheese spread that’s often referred to as the pâté of the South. It’s wonderful on crackers, crudités, sandwiches, or even burgers.

Servings: About 3-1/2 cups
Total Time: 15 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann's or Duke's
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (8-oz) block sharp Cheddar cheese (a good supermarket brand like Tillamook or Cabot is fine)
1 (4-oz) jar diced pimentos, drained
INSTRUCTIONS

Food processor instructions: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth and evenly combined.

Remove the blade, scraping any of the mixture back into the bowl. Switch to the grating blade. Cut the Cheddar cheese into pieces that will fit into the feed tube. With the machine running, add the cheese through the feed tube until it is all grated in. Transfer the contents of the food processor to a large mixing bowl. Add the diced pimentos and stir everything together to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. (I usually add about 1/4 teaspoon more salt, but it depends on the saltiness of the cheese.)

Mixer instructions: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or beaters, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Beat until smooth and evenly combined. Coarsely grate the Cheddar cheese and mix in along with the diced pimentos. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. (It's a good idea to taste the pimento cheese on the crackers you plan to serve it with, as the saltiness can vary.)

Transfer the spread to a serving bowl and serve with crackers and/or crudités. If serving later, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days; bring to room temperature
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen