Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Attic Costs

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:45 am
Have any of you turned a crawl space attic into a livable attic? Now It has crawl space and a pull down ladder to access. I want a master bedroom and bathroom up there, and staircase. I can’t afford much practically right now so I don’t want to waste a contractors time getting an estimate, but if any one here has done it I’d love to hear cost ranges. Thanks so much.

Mollie

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:30 am
100k..

wtvr

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:29 am
Check zoning laws in your city.
Attics cannot be finished in many places. You would need to file a variance with the state, and put in a sprinkler system to start with.

And ours is not even a crawl space. It already has full steps, and high ceilings in the center.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:05 am
This is an expensive project.

Not only do you have to finish the space but you have to essentially add a new roof since all you have is a crawl space and exterior walls would have to be lengthened to add height in some way and then the new roof would be completely different than what you have existing.

It would be cheaper to purchase a home that has the space requirements that you need rather than attempt to do this kind of extremely expensive remodel. It's much different than "finishing" a basement or attic where you add flooring; drywall and a bathroom.

Also a bathroom is one of the more expensive rooms especially a master bath where people generally want something a bit nicer. A standard bottom of the line bathroom costs at least $15,000 to $20,000 when you factor in everything that is needed - plumbing; electrical' fixtures - I just finished a full remodel of my home including bathrooms and it was mind boggling in terms of all of the expenses just for the bathroom in terms of what is necessary. And because it requires "water" and "electricity", all of the work needs to be done with skilled labor because otherwise you risk major water damage and electrical danger. Every little thing - toilet paper holder; hooks and bars for towels; knobs and pulls for cabinets; mirrors, sconces, fan etc.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
This is an expensive project.

Not only do you have to finish the space but you have to essentially add a new roof since all you have is a crawl space and exterior walls would have to be lengthened to add height in some way and then the new roof would be completely different than what you have existing.

It would be cheaper to purchase a home that has the space requirements that you need rather than attempt to do this kind of extremely expensive remodel. It's much different than "finishing" a basement or attic where you add flooring; drywall and a bathroom.

Also a bathroom is one of the more expensive rooms especially a master bath where people generally want something a bit nicer. A standard bottom of the line bathroom costs at least $15,000 to $20,000 when you factor in everything that is needed - plumbing; electrical' fixtures - I just finished a full remodel of my home including bathrooms and it was mind boggling in terms of all of the expenses just for the bathroom in terms of what is necessary. And because it requires "water" and "electricity", all of the work needs to be done with skilled labor because otherwise you risk major water damage and electrical danger. Every little thing - toilet paper holder; hooks and bars for towels; knobs and pulls for cabinets; mirrors, sconces, fan etc.

Right.
And don't forget you'll need to put in regular windows as well.
Your best bet is to ask a contractor for an estimate, this is an extremely expensive project. $100k the least and probably more. Adding a staircase can be complicated and expensive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:52 pm
Oh wow. Has anyone done this recently in Flatbush that knows about the zoning requirements?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh wow. Has anyone done this recently in Flatbush that knows about the zoning requirements?

The people I know who’ve done this in Flatbush did it without permits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics