Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
100 k +
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:31 am
Computer science. Starting salaries around 80K and can reasonably expect over 100K with 3 years on the job. Ivy League not necessary at all, but I think a real degree is - not one of these courses. I went to a regular local college.

Violet123

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:14 pm
Frumme wrote:
I'm
Luckily, there are many master's programs now available online and or reasonably priced. Western Governor's University has been gaining popularity because they offer bachelor's, master's, and certifications all online for a reasonable price (I haven't tried them, so try at your own risk).

Do you know about western governors University?
How would a degree from there compare to other local colleges?
Is the degree considered good?
Can you get a bachelor's quickly?
Do you know anyone who did online college?
Thank you

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:01 pm
Project managers. I work in government consulting so it's a little lower but with my Maalot degree, in my 20s, I make 86k with very flexible hours. When I finish my PMP certification I will be eligible to make $105k.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:37 pm
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you

I looked into Western Governor's University (WGU) at one point so I do know a little bit about it.

It's geared towards adults who want to get a degree quickly (similar to TTI's program) but the difference here is that there are no letter grades to courses, just pass and fail. So if you can take a test and/or hand in the assignments quickly and pass, you got the credits and can move on to the next course. When I looked into it it was about $3000 for six months (you pay for the time rather than for the amount of courses) so if you can finish quickly it's relatively inexpensive. I have heard that people have done the whole thing from start to finish in about six months to a year.

It's regionally accredited so it's a legitimate college, but it is an online college without a GPA, so there's that...

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:38 pm
You don't necessarily need an Ivy League education to get a good software engineering job. I am a software engineer and I've been involved in recruiting at my company. I/Managers mostly paid attention to work experience and technologies. Interviews focused on your skill set. A colleague I worked with was exceptionally talented and self taught.
I myself graduated from a non Ivy League college with a Masters with only $25k in student loans.

After 10 years I make $120k. I prioritize my life as a mom/wife and have a really good work/life balance which is more important to me then making more money. Although I do feel this is pretty respectable paycheck.

malki2

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:41 pm
anuta wrote:
BS in engineering can get you that, if not immediately then after a few years. MS in engineering or math even better.

AFAIK, MS only makes a salary difference for civil engineers. For other engineers, the salary difference is negligible. But the other engineers get a starting salary higher than a civil engineer, even one with an MS.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:43 pm
Can anyone comment on nursing home administration? What are starting salaries and expected hours?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:58 pm
My husband is an accountant and makes 110k + bonus after 3 years. Very nice benefit and Vaca package too.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:02 am
Some therapy related fields can make that much as well. Bcbas most definitely can.

amother
Black

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:43 am
MY husband has an online business and makes over $350k.
Making a salary of $100 k would totally be impossible to live on in NY.
I can’t believe after that much schooling and hard work and debt that’s all you get sometimes.

Violet123

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:31 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
MY husband has an online business and makes over $350k.
Making a salary of $100 k would totally be impossible to live on in NY.
I can’t believe after that much schooling and hard work and debt that’s all you get sometimes.

I'm sure your husband is working extremely hard but you do realize that's a really nice amount....and great Mazel

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:11 am
My husband started out in real estate and did very well but then when the market turned around 2008 He suddenly was not doing so well. He started a number of online businesses which was a roller coaster ride. He is still in business for himself doing different online marketing things. The problem is is sometimes he does great and sometimes he does really bad so If you're in business for yourself you really have to put aside money for the years that are not as plentiful.

Frumme

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:17 am
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you

I haven't done it myself, although I've looked into it briefly to get a Master's or certifications (I have a bachelor's from another university). If you are very self-motivated and have the time, it's a fast and inexpensive option to gain a degree.

They have a lot of scholarships and seem to be student-focused. I've heard of people going and liking it, but only from acquaintances... Maybe make a new thread here on Imamother and see if anyone has done it and can tell you their experience.

Like someone stated above, it's regionally accredited, which is a good thing. It's held in higher regard than national accreditation. And when it comes down to it really, a bachelor's is still a bachelor's. I know someone mentioned you don't get a GPA there but honestly, my two cents on that:

When you apply for jobs, employers 95% of the time don't care about your GPA, especially if you're mid-20s+ and not straight out of college. I've never seen a job description asking me what my GPA was, or if I was a straight A or B student, etc. Really. GPA might matter to you if you decide to do a PhD, but even then I don't think it has nearly the same level of importance it may have had in the past.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Can anyone comment on nursing home administration? What are starting salaries and expected hours?

In NY and NJ it's a year or 2 of training in addition to college courses and either no pay or very little. Then if you get a job in a decent size home, starting salary is 120k. It's not a 9-5. It's you're in charge and do whatever you need to do to get the job done.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:36 am
Re WGU:

Instantcert.com would be a place to get more information.

Here is one recent thread that was started regarding WGU:

https://www.degreeforum.net/my.....ssues

Also, here is a link of schools that accepted WGU degree for their graduate or doctorate programs:

https://www.wgu.edu/alumni/car......html

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
In NY and NJ it's a year or 2 of training in addition to college courses and either no pay or very little. Then if you get a job in a decent size home, starting salary is 120k. It's not a 9-5. It's you're in charge and do whatever you need to do to get the job done.

I’m not sure if you’re looking for yourself or your husband, but just want to add that it is a very difficult job for a frum mother because of the work demands and schedule.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
If I worked full time I could make over 100k - I’m a therapist.

My husband was making about 150k in a real estate related business (until covid...).

These aren’t starting salaries though..

A social worker or another kind of therapy?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
My daughter is getting a double bachelors in math ( major in combinatorics and optimization) and business ( major in sustainability in business.) she expects to work as a programmer which she is learning on the side. two separate degrees and expects to find employment at six figures on graduation ( or at least thought so before the pandemic. Now? Who knows?

From the sound of it I am totally not worried for her iyh:) sounds like she’s on the smart and hardworking side with a math brain. There will still be lots of opportunities!

r1

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:47 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Project managers. I work in government consulting so it's a little lower but with my Maalot degree, in my 20s, I make 86k with very flexible hours. When I finish my PMP certification I will be eligible to make $105k.

What is a project manager? Where would one start out? Sounds fascinating!

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:57 am
With everything that's going on, I don't think this is a good time to get into the nursing home industry.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics