Home

Open NYC now!
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 11:48 am
https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/.....-now/
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:07 pm
The Broadway theaters were just as worried about keeping actors safe as they were in keeping patrons safe. Is a bar or jazz joint fun for people who are social distancing? Can restaurants still survive at 25% capacity? Apparently Georgia is successful at keeping the virus at bay because people are social distancing voluntarily but how are businesses making it with smaller crowds?
I heard on the radio that the big excitement around here is that Garden State Plaza in Paramus is now open for curbside pickup. So basically, I am supposed to enjoy that shopping experience? People who may have enjoyed browsing through Macy's and Nieman Marcus can now make an order and wait in the parking lot. Whoopee! Fun fun fun.
Basically many industries rely on crowds and many people are not willing to be sacrificial lambs for the economy.
Back to top

octopus




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:25 pm
I don't know what the answer is, but New Yorkers are tired of staying home.
Back to top

csa123




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:26 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The Broadway theaters were just as worried about keeping actors safe as they were in keeping patrons safe. Is a bar or jazz joint fun for people who are social distancing? Can restaurants still survive at 25% capacity? Apparently Georgia is successful at keeping the virus at bay because people are social distancing voluntarily but how are businesses making it with smaller crowds?
I heard on the radio that the big excitement around here is that Garden State Plaza in Paramus is now open for curbside pickup. So basically, I am supposed to enjoy that shopping experience? People who may have enjoyed browsing through Macy's and Nieman Marcus can now make an order and wait in the parking lot. Whoopee! Fun fun fun.
Basically many industries rely on crowds and many people are not willing to be sacrificial lambs for the economy.



[nasty personal attack removed] If you don't want to be a "sacrificial lamb", don't. Me and my family are more than happy to go out and sacrifice ourselves to help small businesses recover and people put food on the table.
Everyone was predicting Georgia would see a massive spike once they opened. But they haven't. Because people are generally responsible. Apparently Whitmer, Cuomo and Murphy don't have the same faith in their people that Kemp and DeSantis have in theirs. People will generally do the right thing. So Georgia is not experiencing an uptick in cases and at least they're having some form of recovery whereas here we're stuck in the dark ages.
I was never particularly interested in politics, but I have no idea how anyone could ever vote Democrat again. Cuomo and Murphy were slow to lockdown, refused to protect nursing homes while DeSantis basically did everything right even though he has a much more elderly population. And the numbers show it.

We're going to have to open it up in a much bigger way eventually. I guess its just a matter of how many people Cuomo wants to starve prior to that.
Back to top

fleetwood




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:39 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't know what the answer is, but New Yorkers are tired of staying home.


Please don't speak for all New Yorkers.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:42 pm
csa123 wrote:
[nasty personal attack removed] If you don't want to be a "sacrificial lamb", don't. Me and my family are more than happy to go out and sacrifice ourselves to help small businesses recover and people put food on the table.
Everyone was predicting Georgia would see a massive spike once they opened. But they haven't. Because people are generally responsible. Apparently Whitmer, Cuomo and Murphy don't have the same faith in their people that Kemp and DeSantis have in theirs. People will generally do the right thing. So Georgia is not experiencing an uptick in cases and at least they're having some form of recovery whereas here we're stuck in the dark ages.
I was never particularly interested in politics, but I have no idea how anyone could ever vote Democrat again. Cuomo and Murphy were slow to lockdown, refused to protect nursing homes while DeSantis basically did everything right even though he has a much more elderly population. And the numbers show it.

We're going to have to open it up in a much bigger way eventually. I guess its just a matter of how many people Cuomo wants to starve prior to that.


[edited]
Some of us would probably not survive if we took it upon ourselves to revive the economy but some posters thrive on being judgemental.
Back to top

CiCi




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:50 pm
Wow, we are really in a bad spot when a liberal media outlet speaks bad about liberal elected officials...

This is about power, not about saving lives anymore. How will it be different in June? All the experts are saying it will not dissapear at that point, so until when should New Yorkers have their businesses closed?
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 12:54 pm
CiCi wrote:
Wow, we are really in a bad spot when a liberal media outlet speaks bad about liberal elected officials...

This is about power, not about saving lives anymore. How will it be different in June? All the experts are saying it will not dissapear at that point, so until when should New Yorkers have their businesses closed?


NY Post aint liberal.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:01 pm
I’m not from NY, but the way I see it whether it’s NY or NJ or anywhere else that’s still closed, is not so much about people being tired of staying home as much as that the economy must reopen! The fact that places like Walmart and Target are open and small businesses aren’t allowed to even take private appointments is utterly ridiculous and destroying our economy. I’m not a small business owner and I’ll manage without getting a massage or buying a new skirt, but this isn’t about me, it’s about our economy. Yes there was a point where perhaps the only solution was to shut everything down. But right now if the economy doesn’t open up yesterday, we are really not going to be headed in a good direction. I’m no expert on economics, but I can’t fathom how this is still going on. Let small businesses open with social distancing! They can be on top of it a lot better than Petri dishes like Target and Walmart. Im taking my son to get a haircut at someone’s house because he’s not allowed to open his shop. He’s doing it outside and disinfecting in between each customer. Yet it’s probably illegal. (And btw I’ve been a very big proponent of social distancing throughout this whole thing. I’m still not having guests and only allowing my children to play with friends outside.) What is it going to take to open back up? There’s going to be a revolution if things continue like this.
Back to top

Genius




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:03 pm
giselle wrote:
I’m not from NY, but the way I see it whether it’s NY or NJ or anywhere else that’s still closed, is not so much about people being tired of staying home as much as that the economy must reopen! The fact that places like Walmart and Target are open and small businesses aren’t allowed to even take private appointments is utterly ridiculous and destroying our economy. I’m not a small business owner and I’ll manage without getting a massage or buying a new skirt, but this isn’t about me, it’s about our economy. Yes there was a point where perhaps the only solution was to shut everything down. But right now if the economy doesn’t open up yesterday, we are really not going to be headed in a good direction. I’m no expert on economics, but I can’t fathom how this is still going on. Let small businesses open with social distancing! They can be on top of it a lot better than Petri dishes like Target and Walmart. Im taking my son to get a haircut at someone’s house because he’s not allowed to open his shop. He’s doing it outside and disinfecting in between each customer. Yet it’s probably illegal. (And btw I’ve been a very big proponent of social distancing throughout this whole thing. I’m still not having guests and only allowing my children to play with friends outside.) What is it going to take to open back up? There’s going to be a revolution if things continue like this.

A revolution is precisely what is needed at this point
Back to top

CiCi




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
NY Post aint liberal.


What are they, conservative?
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:10 pm
CiCi wrote:
What are they, conservative?

Since Murdoch bought it in 1976.
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:10 pm
Reportedly in Georgia the restaurants are doing well because while they are at half capacity people are celebrating and ordering more like liquor appetizer main dessert etc- people are going all out- and certainly an improvement B”H
Back to top

amother




Pewter
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:12 pm
csa123 wrote:
[edited]If you don't want to be a "sacrificial lamb", don't. Me and my family are more than happy to go out and sacrifice ourselves to help small businesses recover and people put food on the table.
Everyone was predicting Georgia would see a massive spike once they opened. But they haven't. Because people are generally responsible. Apparently Whitmer, Cuomo and Murphy don't have the same faith in their people that Kemp and DeSantis have in theirs. People will generally do the right thing. So Georgia is not experiencing an uptick in cases and at least they're having some form of recovery whereas here we're stuck in the dark ages.
I was never particularly interested in politics, but I have no idea how anyone could ever vote Democrat again. Cuomo and Murphy were slow to lockdown, refused to protect nursing homes while DeSantis basically did everything right even though he has a much more elderly population. And the numbers show it.

We're going to have to open it up in a much bigger way eventually. I guess its just a matter of how many people Cuomo wants to starve prior to that.


Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?

Back to top

giselle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?


Not the poster you quoted of course, but why can’t the nail salon and shoe store open with social distancing/private appointments/disinfecting often, etc. Yes of course there will be those that don’t follow the law, but those people are already not following the law.
Back to top

giselle




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:15 pm
genius wrote:
A revolution is precisely what is needed at this point

But there is so much collateral damage in a revolution Sad
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?



This narrative is absolutely ridiculous, harmful, and IMO worse than any non-social distancer. No I'm not willing to die. The chance that I die is less than 99.8%. Its extremely extremely small. The chance that my children die is less than the chance that they die from the flu. Its absolutely ridiculous and just untrue to suggest that if you open nail salons, everyone is going to drop dead. It's just not true. I don't know how to say that any other way. You can open nail salons and shoe stores with appointments, glass shields, and disinfecting. In a responsible way. Stop acting like every time someone walks into the store, they're going to die. It only undermines your point and makes people less willing to listen to you.
Back to top

gold21




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:18 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?



In terms of YOU contacting the disease, as long as YOU wear a mask and YOU socially distance, what others do or don't do won't affect you. You can't contract covid because someone else isn't being careful. I can't take responsibility for the whole NY, no. But then again, there are risks in prolonged lockdown, also. Nothing is without it's risks. There's no perfect solution here, but it's not the way you're painting it either. It's a very gray area.


Last edited by gold21 on Thu, May 21 2020, 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
NY Post aint liberal.


It’s owned by Rupert Murdoch and is essentially a Fox News printed outlet.

If this is a definition of liberal media, I have no idea from what kind of prism that poster views the world. LOL


Last edited by Amarante on Thu, May 21 2020, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Pewter
 

Post  Thu, May 21 2020, 1:31 pm
gold21 wrote:
In terms of YOU contacting the disease, as long as YOU wear a mask and socially distance, what others do or don't do won't affect anything. You can't contract covid because someone else isn't being careful.


That's 100% wrong, and demonstrates a wholesale and fundamental lack of understanding of the situation.

Wearing a mask doesn't protect ME. It protects YOU from my spreading my germs to you. That's why refusing to wear a mask is so egregious. I honestly don't care if you want to risk your own life. Enjoy. But by not wearing a mask, you risk MINE, and are telling me that my life is not worth anything to you. And no, I cannot always socially distance from you. When you're standing at the gate of the park, or on a bench on a path. Or in the store when I'm grabbing a box of rice while you're talking on the phone, describing each type of rice to your spouse in detail while deciding which one to buy.

FTR, I had covid and recovered. I wear a mask because I haven't been able to retest, so cannot be positive that I no longer am infectious. And also because you have no way of knowing that I'm over it, and I wear it so you have no concerns.

Opening up the retail economy puts workers at risk, as the canaries in the coal mine. You can sit at your table in an inner tube, but someone is serving you, and their mask isn't protecting them, its only protecting you. The shoe salesman is touching boxes and surfaces that you touched, and maybe even touching your foot. The retail clerk is doing the same with clothing and other items. If they refuse to work, and to put themselves at risk, they lose their unemployment benefits. Nice.

We need to be ready to open, and do so slowly. Right now, there still is not enough hospital capacity to open to elective and non-emergency patients, for example.

But why are you pretending that there is nothing we can do between opening and allowing people to starve. NYC is providing meals, for example. We need to provide more support to small businesses, and to poorer people.
Back to top
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Changes to the NYC free kosher DOE meals 14 Yesterday at 5:51 pm View last post
Looking for good tailor in Brioklyn open Chol Hamied
by amother
2 Sun, Sep 27 2020, 11:18 am View last post
Kids dentist open today in brooklyn
by amother
0 Sun, Sep 27 2020, 10:21 am View last post
NYC COVID testing nightmare
by amother
49 Sun, Sep 27 2020, 7:20 am View last post
by nchr
Open letter
by amother
14 Sat, Sep 26 2020, 3:18 pm View last post