Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Open NYC now!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

CiCi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO RETURN TO WORK WILL LOSE THEIR UNEMPLOYMENT.

I can't stress that enough. You don't get a choice. If you are a cleaning person at Target, and you're called back, you go, or you lose both your salary and your unemployment. While the executives work from home, or from a large and isolated office. They're not the ones at risk.

The waiter is removing dishes that you ate from, and bringing your food close. The clerk at the store is touching items you touched. Forget the hairdresser and the manicurist, who are practically on top of you. As is the dentist. Do you want to be the person washing dishes and wiping down tables at a restaurant?

Social distancing is effectively impossible for lower income people who rely on public transit to get to their jobs. They're stuck on the seats others have used, or touching poles others have touched. And even apart from that, how do you avoid everyone? They walk towards you. They step beside you at lights.

Its not as simple as you pretend.

We need to do this slowly, in phases, gauging safety. Not like China, which is now back in shutdown.

It's still their choice even if they lose their unemployment. Nobody is forcing them to go back to work.

Why is it worse that people feel "forced" to go back to work than those have no choice and must see their businesses ruined? And do you think the government can pay unemployment indefinitely? No, they cannot and at some point when all the political clowns won't have any $ to squander they'll open up businesses but Covid-19 will still be a threat because it will never leave us so how will it help in the long run if we don't open businesses now?

And why don't you feel bad for Walmart and Tablbot workers who were "forced" have to go back to work already?

Social distancing is effectively impossible for low income families already. Many of them live in crowded living conditions and that's why they had a high rate of Covid-19 deaths compared to the rest of the population even during quarantine.

Last edited by CiCi on Thu, May 21 2020, 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:53 pm
genius wrote:
For those claiming that the economy should not be opened what do you suggest? The situation cannot continue the way it is now

You're setting up a false dichotomy. You seem to think that if we don't open the economy today, we will never do so. We won't be able to visit granny for the next 30 years.

No one is advocating that. We're advocating a staged and careful opening of businesses, monitoring cases to ensure that the curve is still flattened and protecting vulnerable people.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:57 pm
CiCi wrote:
It's still their choice even if they lose their unemployment. Nobody is forcing them to go back to work.

Why is it worse that people feel "forced" to go back to work than those have no choice and must see their businesses ruined? And do you think the government can pay unemployment indefinitely? No, they cannot and at some point when all the political clowns won't have any $ to squander they'll open up businesses but Covid-19 will still be a threat because it will never leave us so how will it help in the long run if we don't open businesses now?

And why don't you feel bad for Walmart and Tablbot workers who were "forced" have to go back to work already?

Social distancing is effectively impossible for low income families already. Many of them live in crowded living conditions and that's why they had a high rate of Covid-19 deaths compared to the rest of the population even during quarantine.

Well, everyone keeps saying that we need to open up because of those poor workers who cannot last another day without their salaries. They will starve to death if we don't open the economy. Today.

Looks like you don't really care. Take a risk with your life, or starve. I need to buy a new pair of shoes!

And who says I don't feel sorry for essential workers and others who have had to take their lives in their hands to work. I do.

csa123

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:08 pm
Well, everyone keeps saying that we need to open up because of those poor workers who cannot last another day without their salaries. They will starve to death if we don't open the economy. Today.

Looks like you don't really care. Take a risk with your life, or starve. I need to buy a new pair of shoes!

And who says I don't feel sorry for essential workers and others who have had to take their lives in their hands to work. I do.

Where is all this money coming in from where we’re supporting small businesses and people who don’t want to go to work for extending periods of time? If you destroy the taxpayer base, there’s no money for those kinds of social programs

CiCi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:09 pm

Its funny that you are saying this to me because I almost never shop in stores anymore. Except for groceries, I buy almost everything online.

I just feel bad for those who are not being able to go back to work. As I keep on saying and being ignored, coronavirus is here to stay. People are allowed to go on with their lives even if you don't want to. You have the choice to stay home and let others live.

CiCi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:10 pm
csa123 wrote:
Where is all this money coming in from where we’re supporting small businesses and people who don’t want to go to work for extending periods of time? If you destroy the taxpayer base, there’s no money for those kinds of social programs

Exactly. They can't think long-term.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:31 pm
CiCi wrote:
Its funny that you are saying this to me because I almost never shop in stores anymore. Except for groceries, I buy almost everything online.

I just feel bad for those who are not being able to go back to work. As I keep on saying and being ignored, coronavirus is here to stay. People are allowed to go on with their lives even if you don't want to. You have the choice to stay home and let others live.

What work are you going back to?

What about your husband?

Will you be in a high risk service environment?

aliavi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:35 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Please don't speak for all New Yorkers.

Surely there are far greater things to take offense at. You’re thrilled to be trapped at home and so is your entire family and are observing the strictest SD? I think not.

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:37 pm
My issue is in NJ, it stinks like cronyism and cozying up to the Big Bucks.
Target, Walmart, Home Depot can all be open, ostensibly limiting how many people are inside. But my local small business shoe stores, clothing stores, electronics have to only do curbside pickup.
I need to buy a suit for my son. I can't order it for pickup because I need to try it on. So I'll go to Target and try on several suits and buy one there.
And another small business bites the dust and is forced to close forever because they can't survive.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:38 pm
CiCi wrote:
Exactly. They can't think long-term.

No. The people who cannot think long term are those who want everything. Today. And create a parade of horribles if we don't have it now.

The opening of the economy is moving forward. In NY, most of the state is in Phase 1. Construction; Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting; Retail - (Limited to curbside or in-store pickup or drop off); Manufacturing; Wholesale Trade. They will probably be moving to Phase 2 in a couple of weeks, and the state is starting to issue guidance. That's Professional Services, Retail, Administrative Support, Real Estate / Rental & Leasing

A month for most of the state. Maybe 2 for NYC.

And I"m the one who cannot see long term.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:07 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't know what the answer is, but New Yorkers are tired of staying home.

Enough to risk dying?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:09 pm
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?

How,disgusting to show chassidim in a derogatory way

octopus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Enough to risk dying?

I don't live on a Jewish block. I live in a heavily Italian and Irish neighborhood. And from what I see going on people are done. I see baseball games at the park, soccer, you name it. People are getting together picnicking, although they will sit farther away. I can't speak for everyone, but it looks like the people in my neighborhood are ready to cautiously get back to life.

gold21

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:35 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't live on a Jewish block. I live in a heavily Italian and Irish neighborhood. And from what I see going on people are done. I see baseball games at the park, soccer, you name it. People are getting together picnicking, although they will sit farther away. I can't speak for everyone, but it looks like the people in my neighborhood are ready to cautiously get back to life.

True- this isn't a Jewish thing at all

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:57 pm
It’s amazing how this virus doesn’t spread at Walmart, Target or Costco but we had to close down small businesses so they wouldn’t become a Covid hot zone. It’s quite miraculous that Covid wasn’t a threat inside gas stations, grocery stores, liquor stores, planned parenthood or McDonalds but was a threat at gyms and churches. If a mask works why did any business have to close? If a mask doesn’t work why are people being forced to wear them? Quite the riddle isn’t it? A lot is common sense to those who can think for themselves. It’s only the delusional brainwashed sheep who can’t see what’s obvious regarding this plandemic.

4g01o

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:09 pm
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?

My Dentist isn't open! I was meant to have an appointment last week for a crown. I'm in between treatments, now what?? Forget salons. Dentists should be open Sad I'm so scared what's going to happen to my son's teeth. He was on antibiotics just before all of this for his tooth that needed to come out! Now it's staying put unless he's in pain, which he's not bh. Maybe I should lie?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:11 pm
Cici said it best.

The facts all point toward a safe slow reopening, I would think we could all agree on that.
If someone does not feel comfortable going out or still wants to quarantine or whatever that is a personal choice! And thank G-d for that! That we still have freedom in this country and options.

There is no other option or reason at this point given the facts objective facts on the ground to continue some kind of lockdown.

Opening with protocols evaluations monitoring....like what is going on in the entire world today B"H.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:14 pm
Ok, I am going to give this another shot.

I guess that I see everything from the perspective of an older person. If I go to a restaurant, I don't buy much because older people can't eat as much as younger people (to debate this comment spin off another thread). My feeling is that child portions should be sold to the elderly as well. So as someone said, Georgia's restaurants are making a profit on smaller crowds because the tables are being given to those who will buy full meals and alcohol. The restaurant would lose money using an available table for someone like me.
Now there have been numerous threads here on shopping at frum stores and many posters had a variety of reasons why they steered away from frum owned mom and pop shops. Now these stores need the frum community.
There are organizations now trying to get everyone on board with having smaller chassunahs and in general that should be a fine choice but at the present, that won't do as much to help the economy but months ago, before the pandemic, many posters on here supported that move.
Sit down service in restaurants has been closed but I wonder how many people were treating the family to carry-out service in order to keep the businesses afloat until they could re-open.
If we want our own economy to survive, we have to give up relying on Walmart and Amazon and maybe help our brethren put their wares online so that it's easier to compete when people are reluctant to or prohibited from going to stores.
As far as the comment that the virus is here to stay, the answer is; maybe not. Other pandemics eventually died out.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
It’s amazing how this virus doesn’t spread at Walmart, Target or Costco but we had to close down small businesses so they wouldn’t become a Covid hot zone. It’s quite miraculous that Covid wasn’t a threat inside gas stations, grocery stores, liquor stores, planned parenthood or McDonalds but was a threat at gyms and churches. If a mask works why did any business have to close? If a mask doesn’t work why are people being forced to wear them? Quite the riddle isn’t it? A lot is common sense to those who can think for themselves. It’s only the delusional brainwashed sheep who can’t see what’s obvious regarding this plandemic.

All those big stores you mentioned had customer limits. And they are much larger, so you could have 100 people there shopping and safely spread out.
Liquor stores, fast food places, etc were open for drive thru or curbside pickup.
Gas stations, most people don't go inside the actual store.
Very different from your average boutique crowded frum store.
I'm sure planned parenthood was by appointment, too.

giselle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
All those big stores you mentioned had customer limits. And they are much larger, so you could have 100 people there shopping and safely spread out.
Liquor stores, fast food places, etc were open for drive thru or curbside pickup.
Gas stations, most people don't go inside the actual store.
Very different from your average boutique crowded frum store.
I'm sure planned parenthood was by appointment, too.

Have not seen any limits at either of those stores.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics