Home

Dr Rubin says no prism. Should I still try Dr Alexander??
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Ivory
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:12 am
Also, as the visual system improved, his brain fog went away.
This was the easier route for us to take before special ed/ neuropsych Evals, bc it was one Eval, but had they not discovered a major issue we would have looked into that after.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I’m not sure how to post it here, not sure she’ll appreciate it.


Does her number end in 36?
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:38 pm
What about Dr Press in Lakewood? He’s supposed to be really good.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 10:42 pm
Why are you assuming the issue is vision-based? Did any doctor tell you your son has convergence insufficiency?

I am an SLP that has evaluated over 1000 children - many of them have auditory-processing based dyslexia’s and/or attention deficits, but were misdiagnosed by ‘reading specialists’.

Sometimes the issue is vision-based, but very often (in fact, most often) its not. The fact that he has trouble remembering phone numbers is VERY telling.

Do yourself and your child a favor and get a full neuropsych evaluation.

Dr. Mandelman (Brooklyn, Manhattan) is great, but there are other excellent neuropsychologists as well.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Why are you assuming the issue is vision-based? Did any doctor tell you your son has convergence insufficiency?

I am an SLP that has evaluated over 1000 children - many of them have auditory-processing based dyslexia’s and/or attention deficits, but were misdiagnosed by ‘reading specialists’.

Sometimes the issue is vision-based, but very often (in fact, most often) its not. The fact that he has trouble remembering phone numbers is VERY telling.

Do yourself and your child a favor and get a full neuropsych evaluation.

Dr. Mandelman (Brooklyn, Manhattan) is great, but there are other excellent neuropsychologists as well.


Whats his contact info? Is he top of the line?

Also, can the auditory processing dyslexia be 'cured' with therapy? How is it treated?
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 10:45 pm
Dr. Mandelman (646) 907-9480

He is absolutely tops!

If it’s auditory processing based (phonemic awareness) then phonemic awareness training using the LIPS (Lindamood Bell) program is often highly successful.

But first get him tested to figure out what’s going on....
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Dr. Mandelman (646) 907-9480

He is absolutely tops!

If it’s auditory processing based (phonemic awareness) then phonemic awareness training using the LIPS (Lindamood Bell) program is often highly successful.

But first get him tested to figure out what’s going on....


Thank you!

We've been to many many "kriah specialists" and so far no results whatsoever. Maybe that was a big mistake Sad
I'm not sure why I never considered a licensed specialist
Back to top

anonymrs




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 10:50 am
OP you can pm me for more info. Dr Sewoff in New Jersey trained under Dr. Alexander in London. You might want to try him first before you take the trip to England. And it's always worth getting a second opinion!
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 2:01 pm
Dr. Sewoff is excellent. But first she needs to know that it’s an eye problem, not a learning problem.
And as far as I can tell, she has not ruled that out, so until she knows that, going to another eye doctor is a waste of time.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 4:53 pm
anonymrs wrote:
OP you can pm me for more info. Dr Sewoff in New Jersey trained under Dr. Alexander in London. You might want to try him first before you take the trip to England. And it's always worth getting a second opinion!


We've been to Siwoff. He said my son does need prism. However, the glasses have not helped him much. He did focus a little better but thats about it. I find that Dr Siwoff is way to quick with fitting a proper lens. Meaning it doesn't seem like he puts too much thought into it. Whatever, I wasn't impressed with him.

Did he actually train under Dr Alexander?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 5:19 pm
Also, I'm wondering whether Siwoff is honest. Like would he tell you that your child does NOT need prism, or does he dispense prism glasses to whoever walks through his door??
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We've been to Siwoff. He said my son does need prism. However, the glasses have not helped him much. He did focus a little better but thats about it. I find that Dr Siwoff is way to quick with fitting a proper lens. Meaning it doesn't seem like he puts too much thought into it. Whatever, I wasn't impressed with him.

Did he actually train under Dr Alexander?


Is it possible your son had a different issue - not eye related- and that’s why the prism glasses didn’t help?
I find parent after parent running to get ‘prism glasses’ without evaluating for the (much more common) underlying causes of a reading disorder....
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 6:50 pm
There’s an Eye dr office In williamsburg that has drs that train under dr Alexander- dr Alexander himself was actually here a couple of months ago in that office. Mayb try them first.. 718-782-3976. I believe u can have a zoom session now with dr Alexander through them , Since no one is traveling now- it’ll cost you less & might be worth it..
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
There’s an Eye dr office In williamsburg that has drs that train under dr Alexander- dr Alexander himself was actually here a couple of months ago in that office. Mayb try them first.. 718-782-3976. I believe u can have a zoom session now with dr Alexander through them , Since no one is traveling now- it’ll cost you less & might be worth it..


Thank you! I will try them. I really hope I could get a virtual appointment with Dr Alexander.

Has anyone done that?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 11:38 pm
bump
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 12:46 am
The secratary in their office has told me that whoever did it was very happy with the zoom visit...
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 3:40 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
The secratary in their office has told me that whoever did it was very happy with the zoom visit...


For an initial visit as well, or for a follow up? Or both?

My son hasn't seen Dr Alexander in person yet.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 5:11 pm
Call the office they can tell you.- they def will charge you less than when he’s there in person.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
PSA vegan is still treif
by Hillery
135 Wed, May 27 2020, 6:03 am View last post
Are Non Jews in NY Still Social Distancing?
by amother
15 Tue, May 26 2020, 10:40 am View last post
Daughter still didnt begin menstruating
by amother
44 Mon, May 25 2020, 6:24 pm View last post
Yes, we must investigate Trump and Try to impeach AGAIN!
by Cheiny
0 Fri, May 22 2020, 3:48 pm View last post
ISO Mrs Gradmans # to schedule appt w/ Dr Alexander inLondon
by amother
0 Thu, May 21 2020, 11:39 pm View last post

Jump to: