Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Surgery -Sleeve- everything I shld know
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:33 am
I am in my mid 20s, just had my first, and passed the 250 mark. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and have had a hard tome sticking to any diet (binge eating disorder?). I am now considering the gastric sleeve and want to know everything. Where do I start? How do I choose a dr (NY)? Is it worth the struggle? Should I rather try yet another diet plan?

Please help!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 4:51 am
Mazel Tov on your baby!

I’m scheduled to go to Mexico this summer to have it done.

I did a lot of research.
Do it!!
You’re young - no reason you need to struggle with this for the rest of your life!
We overweight people know the shame, struggle, bad feelings, struggle, should I say it again Smile of being overweight.
Whoever I spoke to is thrilled they did it and only wish they would have done it sooner.
It’s a laparoscopic surgery, there is some recuperation time with eating solids while the stomach heals. Once that’s over whoever I spoke to is thrilled.
I’m going to Mexico (with my doctors approval) because it’s the same price I would be paying for my deductible here and in ny insurance mandates tons of pre op dr appts, sleep apnea tests... ppl say all these tests can take about a year.
So basically for the same price I’m doing it there with much less requirements. ( my dr said it’s an insurance thing making ppl go for all of these appointments and really not necessary to do All of these test requirements here. (In mexico they only do the ones that are important and needed before surgery like the ekg.
But don’t get discouraged tons of people do it here too.
They do all the appointments (however long it takes) and are thrilled.
Depends on your insurance, and how much time you can spare.

Dr fielding in NYU very popular.
Hatzlocha
Fyi People who aren’t heavy don’t understand our struggle.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 4:59 am
Everyone I know who has done it has regretted it. It is irreversible, you will never be able to eat a normal meal, and many people gain the weight back anyway.

lamplighter

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:04 am
I looked into it and ended up not going for it but I do remember being told that you will still need to watch what you eat -forever.
It can jumpstart weightloss in a way that dieting on its own never could but it will not replace "dieting" in your life.

DVOM

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:26 am
I was about 300 lbs, almost 30 years old when I hit my rock bottom and decided to make the changes I needed to get healthy. I've been on OA for seven years, maintaining a 130ish lb wait loss. The program is simple: no sugar, no flour, no snacking between meals, and learning and following a 12 step program to help you cope with the life challenges that caused you to overeat in the first place. I met lots of people at OA meetings who'd done weight loss surgery, gained it all back, and still could not eat a normal sized meal. The reasons you binge will still be there after your surgery. OA was the best gift I ever gave myself!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:30 am
Most people start regaining weight after 5 years and then are back to their heavy weight by 6-7 years. At that point some people get a band or give up. Talk to people who have their sleeve over 7-8 years ago, not people who had it done 3-4 years.
I had the band done 12 years ago when sleeves were not so popular and think it’s an amazing tool. Unlike the sleeve the band can be easily loosened or tightened when needed. Loosened in pregnancy, for pesach or prior to going on vacation, tightened for an upcoming wedding or the summer!
The drs are pushing the sleeve because they get paid more and insurance doesn’t want to pay for adjustments, but you should discuss the band. I know people who recently did it in Mexico but that means that the dr who did the surgery cannot monitor you for any complications. And which dr wants to oversee another drs surgery. It’s not so simple getting follow up care and yearly monitoring.
Would like to hear opinion from anybody that had the sleeve (or band) done over 7 years ago.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:36 am
Go for it!! I've done OA for years, every diet program and spent my life working really hard to lose and maintain my weight. I did surgery 11 years ago and my 16 year old said it 2 years ago. This was the best decision ever made for both of us. I'm not hungry. I lost 100 lbs and got my life back. my daughter lost 75 lbs, gained confidence and friends.
its work. but it's a TOOL to assist you .
GO FOR IT!!
even if theres a chance you will gain the weight, your feeling good about yourself for first 5 years will motivate you to be careful and not gain.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:57 am
It’s not a quick fix, you have to work a little in order to lose and maintain, but only a fraction of the work it takes to lose weight without the sleeve. Go for it! It really helps!

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:01 am
I had a friend that did it and I don't think she lost almost any weight. She was extremely restricted in what she could eat but she didn't follow the plan.she may have eaten less food but everything she ate had tons of calories like chips and cookies so it's not a guarantee if you're not going change you're eating habits.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:06 am
Hi, I live in NJ and did the sleeve exactly six months ago. So far I am very happy!
I lost approximately 50 points - slowly but steadily. I had 100 to lose altogether so I’m halfway there.
My chronic migraines have disappeared and I look and feel much better.
There are hard parts to it, and nothing is perfect.
No, it hasn’t been long since my surgery, so I worry about regaining weight, and yes - I have to work very hard - it’s not a magic fix.
With that being said, I struggled and struggled for years and have never been able to lose weight.
I don’t feel like I can’t eat a normal meal at all - it’s fine.
I can’t imagine doing the surgery in Mexico- particularly if it anyway costs the same as my deductible. Just to save some doctors appointments? They were NOT a big deal. It took three months of appointments from start to finish - 15 appointments in all, including all the surgeon appointment.
I had my first surgeon appointment the end of last July, decided to do the surgery, and even less than 3 months later was ready for the surgery.
So it was like 1-2 appointments a week. And the psychological and nutritionist appointments were able to be done through telehealth.
I want to remain anonymous on here but U can pm me if u want.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:03 am
We lost a member of our community due to complications from the surgery years after it was done. It was someone with young children and it was devastating.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:17 am
I did the gastric bypass a year ago. (Had my reasons for doing the more invasive surgery as opposed to the sleeve but did tons of research on both) I can honestly say I have a new life. I lost 100 lbs the first year and have 30 more to go to my final goal. It’s NOT a quick fix and it IS work. But it has been the best decision I’ve ever made. You can PM me for more info if you want.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:40 am
First check with your insurance
If they cover the surgery, then start the process.
The appointments are important. What happens if you have, copd, or ms, or diabetes or anything else?
Mexico might be less expensive, but what happens if you need follow up or other medical attention.
United healthcare changed the requirements from 6 months to 3 months.

My dd had an appointment before pesach, which of course was cancelled. She was quite upset. For now they tentatively set it for after shavuos.

It is not a magic pill, you still have to work on learning how to eat correctly, and your emotional and mental health. But it is a way to help and many say it changes their life.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
We lost a member of our community due to complications from the surgery years after it was done. It was someone with young children and it was devastating.

So sorry this happened. Hugs to you.

Any surgery can have complications.
That is why the appointments and tests are important.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:10 am
I did the band surgery 14 years ago was about 300 lb lost over 120 lb. I bh never gained back my weight... my son wants to do it now but im rather pushing him to do the sleeve.. the difference of these two choices the band you have to give up certain food for life.. the sleeve you stay with your food but you eat 1/4 size portion.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:19 am
I did it 2 years ago...

I am 58, I needed a hip replacement..

The surgeon wouldnt operate if didnt lose over 100 lbs in 3 months..

If I didnt have it done, I wouldnt be able to walk today...
Im still not sure I did the right thing

If it isnt life and death....DONT DO IT

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:33 am

Please say which surgery, in which country this happened and what the complication was.
Ty

I have 5 siblings and siblings in law that did the sleeve and 11 that did the lap band.

The ones that did the lap band are keeping their weight off for years and the ones on the sleeve had their weight off for a year or two.

I also have 1 sibling that did the stapling 20 years ago. He is still keeping it off.

I wonder what the difference between a stapling and a sleeve is.

For myself I will do the band when I go for it. I want to be able to do it at my pace and the band is the only tool that gives you the option.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:48 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I did it 2 years ago...

I am 58, I needed a hip replacement..

The surgeon wouldnt operate if didnt lose over 100 lbs in 3 months..

If I didnt have it done, I wouldnt be able to walk today...
Im still not sure I did the right thing

If it isnt life and death....DONT DO IT

Can you please elaborate on why you feel this way? Only if you are comfortable doing so.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:52 pm

My husband almost died after his sleeve. He started leaking gastric acid into his abdomen and went septic the next week. We’ve had years of health issues to deal with stemming from this one surgery.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My husband almost died after his sleeve. He started leaking gastric acid into his abdomen and went septic the next week. We’ve had years of health issues to deal with stemming from this one surgery.

I didnt have it as bad as your husband but I did develop gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. I also lost hair and my teeth are breaking as well. I am also gaining the weight back and have loose skin on a noticable part of my body which is embarrassing. I am not sure if I would have done this had I known the side effects. That said, I believe that the sleeve is just one part of the surgery and there is supposed to be another part but not sure why the doctors dont do the second part. If anyone knows of any doctors in NY that do the second part of the surgery then please let me know.
Oh, and I am 7 years out if anyone wants to know.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise