Home

Bariatric Surgery -Sleeve- everything I shld know
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Ruby
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My husband almost died after his sleeve. He started leaking gastric acid into his abdomen and went septic the next week. We’ve had years of health issues to deal with stemming from this one surgery.


Another reason to do the lapband rather.
I don't know why the doctors push the sleeve. It has so much more health risks.

From losing too much weight too fast to leaking acid to actually cutting a peice off. It's scary.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Please say which surgery, in which country this happened and what the complication was.
Ty


I have 5 siblings and siblings in law that did the sleeve and 11 that did the lap band.

The ones that did the lap band are keeping their weight off for years and the ones on the sleeve had their weight off for a year or two.

I also have 1 sibling that did the stapling 20 years ago. He is still keeping it off.

I wonder what the difference between a stapling and a sleeve is.


For myself I will do the band when I go for it. I want to be able to do it at my pace and the band is the only tool that gives you the option.


Thanks for that. That was very informative for me. I want to do the band but many people were telling me to to the sleeve. I do not want to cut away part of my stomach. I know a few people who got the band over a decade ago and they they are successfully maintaining their weight loss.

When I went to the bariatric surgeon he did pressure me a bit to do the sleeve. When I asked what are the advantages of the sleeve he said that there's no vomiting with it and no adjustments to make, but he then encouraged me to stick with the lapband since it was what I wanted to go with originally. I also originally thought he suggested the sleeve because of the money involved, but I found out that the sleeve and the lapband surgeries cost pretty much the same. Whatever the reason they push the sleeve, I'm not cutting away part of my stomach...
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 3:34 pm
If it will be work anyway to keep the weight off than why not do.OA?
I have been in a form of OA for almost 17 years. I lost over 90 pounds and the binging and cravings are gone! it took alot of hard work to create new habits but the healthy body and peace from constant thinking of food are amazing. I appreciate the peace of mind as much as I appreciate fitting into normal clothes and looking thin. Put in the work and you WILL get the rewards. it will become easy. trust the process. Hashem gave you a perfect body, why let a surgeon alter hashems perfection ? you can do.it
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 3:56 pm
Ask yourself how you’re going to stay on plan when you can’t control yourself now. That was why I never did it and the bariatric team agreed. You’re welcome to search my posts to see how not doing it worked out for me. I wish I’d known when I was your age what would work for me. Bh after 45 years of eating disorder I worked it out.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:58 pm
I did the sleeve 9 years ago.
Was also mid 20s, 250 lbs.

Its given me a new lease on life.

I've given birth to three children since, and I am maintaining a 100 lb + loss. Yes, it takes discipline.

Bu without it, I would have been a hopeless mess, and there's no way in the world I could've done it otherwise.

I don't have time to elaborate more now, but if the thread is still around next week, feel free to ask me anything.

Whatever you do I wish you success
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 11:51 pm
I got my band 7 years ago. I lost 100 lbs and waver around 15 lbs up or down. I only got the band because I was self-pay even though I was morbidly obese, I didn’t meet my insurance criteria. It cost about $15,000 total and all my follow up visits have been covered by insurance. I went to Dr. Marc Bessler at Columbia and I’d have to say his team is one of the best. Weight loss surgery is not a miracle and if you are a binge eater, this doesn’t solve that issue. I will tell you that if you do binge with the band, food will get stuck and you will vomit. It is incredibly uncomfortable and if it happens enough the band can slip. You have to change your mindset about food and be honest with yourself if you are doing this for life or just a temporary fix. It’s really just a tool and no matter what surgery you get, there can be complications. You need to invest time in therapy and explore your eating and where it’s coming from. Fortunately, I am no longer obsessed with food. I never binge but I also don’t diet. Food has become nourishment but that is because of weight loss surgery because I don’t have the crazy bottomless pit appetite that I used to! Explore your options and make sure your surgeon has a solid team with good bedside manner. Hatzlacha on your journey
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most people start regaining weight after 5 years and then are back to their heavy weight by 6-7 years. At that point some people get a band or give up. Talk to people who have their sleeve over 7-8 years ago, not people who had it done 3-4 years.
I had the band done 12 years ago when sleeves were not so popular and think it’s an amazing tool. Unlike the sleeve the band can be easily loosened or tightened when needed. Loosened in pregnancy, for pesach or prior to going on vacation, tightened for an upcoming wedding or the summer!
The drs are pushing the sleeve because they get paid more and insurance doesn’t want to pay for adjustments, but you should discuss the band. I know people who recently did it in Mexico but that means that the dr who did the surgery cannot monitor you for any complications. And which dr wants to oversee another drs surgery. It’s not so simple getting follow up care and yearly monitoring.
Would like to hear opinion from anybody that had the sleeve (or band) done over 7 years ago.

I don’t think doctors get paid more for the sleeve. And it’s not so simple with the band. Mine slipped pretty soon after my surgery and pretty soon after I had it fixed. I gained it all back plus. I had to loosen it all the way but still throw up randomly at times. Now I want to have the sleeve but first need my band out.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:17 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I did the sleeve 9 years ago.
Was also mid 20s, 250 lbs.

Its given me a new lease on life.

I've given birth to three children since, and I am maintaining a 100 lb + loss. Yes, it takes discipline.

Bu without it, I would have been a hopeless mess, and there's no way in the world I could've done it otherwise.

I don't have time to elaborate more now, but if the thread is still around next week, feel free to ask me anything.

Whatever you do I wish you success


I would love to know more.
I have been dieting all my years, not being able to keep to anything long term and gaining back soon after losing. I feel like doing to sleeve would be admitting to ultimate failure. I also don’t know many young women who did it, most people I know who did it are men or older women.
I dream of the day I am no longer identified by my weight but cannot fathom how that will happen. I need a strong push to go ahead with this, or I’m onto my next diet.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 8:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would love to know more.
I have been dieting all my years, not being able to keep to anything long term and gaining back soon after losing. I feel like doing to sleeve would be admitting to ultimate failure. I also don’t know many young women who did it, most people I know who did it are men or older women.
I dream of the day I am no longer identified by my weight but cannot fathom how that will happen. I need a strong push to go ahead with this, or I’m onto my next diet.

Any weight loss surgery is a tool to curb your hunger. You’ll still have to make good food choices.
And I posted about my failure with the band. I don’t think it’s by definition a bad surgery. I kept off 80lbs off easily for years. I can’t say I regret it. But I think it’s slipped again and I need another tool. I want to do OA simultaneously to get over my food issues. Now I’m about 50lbs more than when I had surgery.

In terms of the differences in surgery—the band goes around your stomach and is tightened to limit how much you can eat. It takes frequent care. It’s not so simple to open and close for yuntif or vacation. Also, if you have it for a reason why would you want to give up the tool to gain weight? If you swallow too big a piece or eat too much you will throw up.
The sleeve removes part of the stomach so it’s not reversible. It creates a smaller stomach. In Theory you shouldn’t be throwing up because nothing is stopping the food from going down. However, I do hear from others that they throw up sometimes. I don’t know how it compares to the band. There were times I’d go for days not being able to swallow my own saliva. I don’t think that happens with the sleeve.
Bypass removes part of your stomach and part of intestines so you can’t eat as much and you also don’t absorb all that you eat. It’s more drastic. With cutting the stomach you increase risk and you also increase risk with cutting intestines.
Gallstones are a risk with any rapid weight loss with or without surgery. Loose skin depends a lot on genetics and how long you were overweight for. Some get it just from pregnancy. Others bounce right back. Surgery can’t be blamed. Weight loss can.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:11 pm
If you are considering surgery, you also should know that there is pretty drastic pre-op preparations. If you are a binge eater, this may be difficult for you. When you are overweight there is a chance your liver is enlarged so in order to decrease the risk of the surgeon possibly cutting your liver, you have to do a pre-op diet to shrink it. In my case I had two straight weeks of protein shakes and raw or steamed vegetables. No dressing, sauce... nothing. So you are basically starving for two weeks but the thing is, you cannot cheat this time because if the surgeon goes in and see an enlarged liver, he can’t operate. This step is your first commitment to making the surgery work for you. Just thought I’d put that out there!
Back to top

amother




Pewter
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most people start regaining weight after 5 years and then are back to their heavy weight by 6-7 years. At that point some people get a band or give up. Talk to people who have their sleeve over 7-8 years ago, not people who had it done 3-4 years.
I had the band done 12 years ago when sleeves were not so popular and think it’s an amazing tool. Unlike the sleeve the band can be easily loosened or tightened when needed. Loosened in pregnancy, for pesach or prior to going on vacation, tightened for an upcoming wedding or the summer!
The drs are pushing the sleeve because they get paid more and insurance doesn’t want to pay for adjustments, but you should discuss the band. I know people who recently did it in Mexico but that means that the dr who did the surgery cannot monitor you for any complications. And which dr wants to oversee another drs surgery. It’s not so simple getting follow up care and yearly monitoring.
Would like to hear opinion from anybody that had the sleeve (or band) done over 7 years ago.


Most people I know who did the band gained all the weight back and much more. It’s just too easY to loosen the band and then start eating as much as before, the point of all these surgeries is, you still have to have the discipline to eat much less and much more healthy after the surgery...so if you have that discipline, why can’t you just apply it beforehand, do a diet and not surgery.

Also every woman I know who had the surgery still has very, very heavy calves (Sometimes arms too, but always calves) which never get thinner and it’s a telltale sign they had surgery
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO 3/4 sleeve crewneck dresses, past knee, fit n flare
by amother
9 Sun, May 24 2020, 3:14 pm View last post
by egam
Everything is a battle
by solo
1 Mon, May 04 2020, 5:37 am View last post
Binah Magazine - Everything Artisan Rolls
by amother
0 Thu, Apr 30 2020, 1:02 pm View last post
Shirtstop amazing sale everything for $3
by amother
8 Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:38 pm View last post
Everything you need to know about masks. 0 Tue, Apr 21 2020, 9:44 pm View last post

Jump to: