Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Chicken hearts

Rappel

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:17 am
I bought them on a craving whim, but now I see I need to slice them, salt them, and grill them? Has anyone done this before? Will the knife be treif afterward? Do you marinate them or anything? All tips welcome.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:53 am
http://halachayomit.co.il/en/d.....=4474

Sephardi minhag and doesn't mention anything about the knife.
You can really feel comfortable asking a rav about this. He'll probably enjoy getting such an arcane shaila.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:45 am
I hope so! For now, I put them away again, and I'll ask him on Sunday. I'm not taking the time to grill erev Shabbat LOL

Has anyone here prepared these before?

cholentfan1

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:03 pm
Can't say it's anything I've tried but wouldn't it be similar to liver?

Rappel

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:26 pm
So I called the Rav today!

He said Ashkies don't eat them, and many Sephardim are machmir not to eat them, but if I want to, then here's how I prep them:

Take a razor or sharp knife and cut Xs into each one. I don't need to fully divide the heart, but the blood needs to be able to drip out.

Roast it like liver.

If I do it over a grill, then the fire of the grill will kasher it, and I can keep it afterward/do multiple batches of skewers.

Regarding my meat knife and cutting board, which is how I found out that there is still blood in hearts: he said both are fine, just scrub down the cutting board well.
(The hearts and blood were still frozen, and no blood that I can see spilled on the board, and the board itself smooth with no cuts. It could be his teshuva would have been different if any of those factors were different. I think I'll buy a new cutting board anyway though - it just feels weird, and it's not a high-quality piece.)

Now I just need to decide if it's worth all the work. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics