Home

Why has New York the highest Covid19 death rate per capita?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Mustard
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:22 pm
The hospital situation was terribly neglectful. I think NY had the highest hospital death rate.
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:27 pm
It is said that the state of NJ has the densest population of all the states.
That is a huge contribute.
The NY/NJ international airports are a huge job industry locally. Porters, cleaning, TSA, shuttles, check-in, the eateries and stores in the airports
One businessman coming home from China or Italy doesn't just spread it to the people on his flight, but everyone he comes in contact with in the airport.
These lower paying workers often live in denser (poorer) neighborhoods and then spread the virus all over.
This was in February and early March before anyone in USA was really aware.
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:14 pm
NYC was a perfect storm:

1. Mayor refused to close schools early enough.

2. Mayor refused to close the transit system, which is a huge spreader of disease.

3. NYC hospital patients are neglected in the best of times if they don't have an advocate present at all times. Since extra people in the hospital was made illegal combined with the doctors and nurses fear of contracting covid, neglect went through the roof.

4. Population density. A lot of very poor people squeezed into tiny apartments
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:59 pm
Ora, it is okay to start a discussion.

And it was my decision to read this thread.

I do not know why I want to make people aware but New Yorkers are in trauma and in deep pain.

I would love to hear about other communities for a change.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:12 pm
Nursing homes should have been the easiest to lock down. The elderly were all in one place. They could have been protected. Instead nursing homes were forced to accept covid patients. Unconscionable.
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Nursing homes should have been the easiest to lock down. The elderly were all in one place. They could have been protected. Instead nursing homes were forced to accept covid patients. Unconscionable.


Nursing homes require a lot of staff, there is no way to continue functioning without staff going in and out. In many places, there are severe staff shortages due to outbreaks. In Quebec, 1000 members of the military were brought in to help in the seniors' residences.
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Nursing homes require a lot of staff, there is no way to continue functioning without staff going in and out. In many places, there are severe staff shortages due to outbreaks. In Quebec, 1000 members of the military were brought in to help in the seniors' residences.


After disaster struck, unfortunately.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:41 pm
flowerpower wrote:
For starters, a lot of patients were neglected in hospitals and died because of that. We all know that well.

Second of all- in a very dense city the virus spreads faster

Third of all- they started taking it serious a week or two too late


An earlier order would have saved lives.

Cuomo declared a state of emergency on March 7, when there were 76 cases and no deaths in NY. Three days later, Trump assured us, And we're prepared, and we're doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away,"

By March 12, Cuomo started limiting the numbers of people at events. Trump, on the same day, said, "I mean, think of it: The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point. Other countries that are smaller countries have many, many deaths. Thirty-two is a lot. Thirty-two is too many. But when you look at the kind of numbers that you're seeing coming out of other countries, it's pretty amazing when you think of it. So, that's it."


By March 15, the day after NY"s first death, schools were closing, and Cuomo, in an open letter, urged Trump to implement an aggressive, national strategy against COVID-19, including deployment of the Army Corps of Engineers, expanding testing capacity and a uniform federal standard for city and state shutdowns. Trump, meanwhile, was telling us that things would be more or less normal by Easter, just two weeks later. More than a week later, Trump assured us, "We begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel"

Yet somehow, its the federal government that took this seriously, while Cuomo dragged his heels.

On February 26, when Trump promised, "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done," he should have been ramping up production of PPE and moving toward social distancing. On February 27, when Trump was assuring us "It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," we should have been testing and limiting contact.

We needed leadership and decisive action from our president. We didn't get it.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 7:48 pm
Im a nurse in a NY nursing home, and we lost sooooo many of our residents its heartbreaking. Here's my take on it:

All the way in the beginning, right around purim time, instead of being given PPE, we had to start hoarding it. I heard recently that the governor of florida, which has so many elderly and came out so much better than NY, actually sent tons and tons of masks and ppe straight to the nursing homes as priority in the beginning. He specifically made the ppe a priority for nursing homes. In NY we had the opposite. We were told we dont have enough masks, and no one can wear one without clearing it as necessary with the nursing supervisor. This was to make sure we didnt run out. We were told masks weren't necessary unless someone was actively ill...it was only a few weeks later that we were told everyone must wear a mask, and got N95s. Too little too late. By then we already had so many deaths. But in the beginning....we kept tallies of how many gloves we used, how many masks, how many gowns we had left in our storage rooms....supervisors would admonish nurses for wearing masks for no reason because we were so scared of running out...

So a few staff members with asymptomatic covid likely brought it in, and it spread like wildfire due to lack of ppe.

My home didnt get any positive covid patients from the hospital so thats not why we lost so many residents....it was lack of ppe, lack of masks...we just spread it and spread it and spread it.
Back to top

ora_43




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 3:14 pm
Ora in town wrote:
New York state has 1485 Covid19-deahts per 1 million inhabitants (per 21.5.2020)
That means: over 0.1% of total population died just because of Covid 19
Then comes new Jersey with 1222
Then Connecticut with 1005...
In Europe, there are many countries of comparable population, yet none comes even near 0,1% Covid-death rate in the overall population....

How come that New York and New jersey were affected so badly?

But if you look specifically at the hardest-hit parts of the European countries that were most affected, you get a rate of 0.1% or even higher. Eg in the Lombardy region of Italy, the percent of covid19 deaths compared to population was 0.15%.

It makes more sense to compare regions to regions, or countries to countries.

I think it's too early to really figure out what happened, where, and why. Data so far seems to show that New York state is comparable to other areas in terms of the ratio of deaths to infections, median age of victims, and racial disparities in the death rate. Meaning it's probably mostly down to the virus having spread through a larger percent of the population. ETA: and, possibly, to the more ethnically diverse population - black and latino populations have much higher mortality rates than others in America and Europe, and New York State has a much larger black and latino population than, say, the Netherlands. (Or Israel, since that comparison has been made on other threads).

But the above could still change with more research. And either way, figuring out where exactly it spread, how, and why, which hospitals had better and worse death rates, which exactly populations were vulnerable, etc, will take time.
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 6:11 pm
ora_43 wrote:
But if you look specifically at the hardest-hit parts of the European countries that were most affected, you get a rate of 0.1% or even higher. Eg in the Lombardy region of Italy, the percent of covid19 deaths compared to population was 0.15%.

It makes more sense to compare regions to regions, or countries to countries.

I think it's too early to really figure out what happened, where, and why. Data so far seems to show that New York state is comparable to other areas in terms of the ratio of deaths to infections, median age of victims, and racial disparities in the death rate. Meaning it's probably mostly down to the virus having spread through a larger percent of the population. ETA: and, possibly, to the more ethnically diverse population - black and latino populations have much higher mortality rates than others in America and Europe, and New York State has a much larger black and latino population than, say, the Netherlands. (Or Israel, since that comparison has been made on other threads).

But the above could still change with more research. And either way, figuring out where exactly it spread, how, and why, which hospitals had better and worse death rates, which exactly populations were vulnerable, etc, will take time.


You are right.
In Lombardy the fatality rate per capita is a bit higher than in new York state, around 0,15%
And in Bergamo it would even reach over 0,27%

But it's still higher than London (around 0,07%) or haut-rhin (0,1%), which are the hardest hit regions in UK and France...
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 9:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Nursing homes should have been the easiest to lock down. The elderly were all in one place. They could have been protected. Instead nursing homes were forced to accept covid patients. Unconscionable.


I know everyones angry that the homes were forced to accept covid patients, but it wasnt the only reason for the high rate of deaths.
In my nursing home we did not accept even one positive patient. We were totally closed for all admissions. And we still lost so many...

Like I said in my previous post, it was sparse PPE that did it. We, the staff, infected our patients (it mustve been staff because we locked all outsiders and families out since before purim) and the spread was uncontrollable.

I thonk we lost at least a 25% of our residents Crying
Back to top

amother




Jade
 

Post  Sat, May 23 2020, 11:49 pm
One reason is because for the last few months no one in NY has died of heart disease or cancer or stroke or lung or kidney or alzheimers, only covid19. There is your politics at work.

I read 4500 is the average monthly death rate in NYC in a regular time. I am not sure how accurate that is or how it compares.
Back to top

amother




Dodgerblue
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Im a nurse in a NY nursing home, and we lost sooooo many of our residents its heartbreaking. Here's my take on it:

All the way in the beginning, right around purim time, instead of being given PPE, we had to start hoarding it. I heard recently that the governor of florida, which has so many elderly and came out so much better than NY, actually sent tons and tons of masks and ppe straight to the nursing homes as priority in the beginning. He specifically made the ppe a priority for nursing homes. In NY we had the opposite. We were told we dont have enough masks, and no one can wear one without clearing it as necessary with the nursing supervisor. This was to make sure we didnt run out. We were told masks weren't necessary unless someone was actively ill...it was only a few weeks later that we were told everyone must wear a mask, and got N95s. Too little too late. By then we already had so many deaths. But in the beginning....we kept tallies of how many gloves we used, how many masks, how many gowns we had left in our storage rooms....supervisors would admonish nurses for wearing masks for no reason because we were so scared of running out...

So a few staff members with asymptomatic covid likely brought it in, and it spread like wildfire due to lack of ppe.

My home didnt get any positive covid patients from the hospital so thats not why we lost so many residents....it was lack of ppe, lack of masks...we just spread it and spread it and spread it.

Sorry. Don't know how to get in touch with you. I am thinking of returning to work in a group home . I took off because I was worried about personal medical reasons (diabetes). What kind of Ppe do you recommend?
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Sorry. Don't know how to get in touch with you. I am thinking of returning to work in a group home . I took off because I was worried about personal medical reasons (diabetes). What kind of Ppe do you recommend?


They should at minimum provide you with a properly fitting N95 mask.
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Yes. Whats your point?

Two totally different things.

1) Spread of the virus

2) Deaths

you need to address both. You can't just look at number deaths, and ignore infection rate, which you did in your OP.

That's true because there is a lag of 2-3 weeks between infection rates and death rates.
But that's even worse news: because it Covid-19 death rate is still rising in New York... But they are already far over France, Haut-Rhin, UK, London, Belgium, Spain, Italy, etc...
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
One reason is because for the last few months no one in NY has died of heart disease or cancer or stroke or lung or kidney or alzheimers, only covid19. There is your politics at work.

I read 4500 is the average monthly death rate in NYC in a regular time. I am not sure how accurate that is or how it compares.

That's simply not true..
One google was enough to find out that Cancers deaths 2020 in New York were estimated at 34'710 as of today.
https://cancerstatisticscenter.cancer.org/#!/state/New%20York
Do your research, befor you just write or repeat things that can be disproven so easily.[b]
Back to top

amother




Jade
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:58 pm
Ora in town wrote:
That's simply not true..
One google was enough to find out that Cancers deaths 2020 in New York were estimated at 34'710 as of today.
https://cancerstatisticscenter.cancer.org/#!/state/New%20York
Do your research, befor you just write or repeat things that can be disproven so easily.[b]


Do your research. Mine comes straight from those who are filling in the lines on the forms and are very po to claim so many that they do not beleive is true.
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Do your research. Mine comes straight from those who are filling in the lines on the forms and are very po to claim so many that they do not beleive is true.

For the time being, Covid-19-deaths tend to be underreported, not overreported.
It could happen that in a later phase, overreporting could happen.

In the province of Bergamo, Italy, a study just showed that Covid-Deaths were vastly underreported...
https://www.france24.com/en/20.....orted
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
One reason is because for the last few months no one in NY has died of heart disease or cancer or stroke or lung or kidney or alzheimers, only covid19. There is your politics at work.

I read 4500 is the average monthly death rate in NYC in a regular time. I am not sure how accurate that is or how it compares.


I'm re-posting this from another thread.
I see this line of reasoning repeated on here often. It is incorrect.

Excess mortality rates are the most accurate tool we have to calculate the true death toll from Covid-19.
The baseline average number of deaths in NYC for the period of March 11 - May 2 is 7935 deaths. This is the average number of deaths during this time period over the last 5 years.

This year, a total of 32 107 deaths were recorded in this time period.
13 831 laboratory confirmed Covid-19 deaths.
5 048 probable Covid-19 deaths.

If you crunch the numbers total deaths: 32 107
- covid deaths:13 831
- prob. covid: 5 048
- baseline avg: 7935

We actually end up with: 5 298 unaccounted for excess deaths.

The numbers are unfortunately not inflated. The opposite is sadly true.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum.....5.htm
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What’s the going rate to rent a house for shabbos?
by amother
37 Today at 1:59 am View last post
Camp Lavi - Inspector tests positive to COVID19
by amother
8 Yesterday at 10:21 am View last post
Going rate for freelance bookkeeping - Lakewood
by amother
14 Tue, Jul 07 2020, 6:31 pm View last post
Going rate for high school age babysitters
by amother
2 Fri, Jul 03 2020, 2:02 am View last post
Going rate in Lakewood
by amother
4 Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:35 pm View last post

Jump to: