Home

Is it true the blood type O does not show antibodies?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:19 pm
I was sure I had the virus. I was pregnant at the time and lost completely my sense of taste and smell for a week with overall weakness. No cough or fever. I just had a baby and they tested me in the hospital for antibodies during my stay and they also tested me for COVID. I came back negative on both. No antibodies at all. Told my neighbor about it and she said she heard that blood type O mostly do not show antibodies. Some do but most don't. Any idea if it's true and why?
Back to top

elisheva25




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:21 pm
I don’t know , but I have type O and showed a little bit on antibodies, compared to my husband who showed a lot more .
But truth is, he was a lot sicker than me
So 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Back to top

amother




Ivory
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:36 pm
My dh is Not type O
And hus antibodies came back negative.
Back to top

momomany




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 12:57 pm
I am type O. I have antibodies.
As a rule, if accuracy is important to you, do not believe any info that is gossip or on a .com site and that you do not hear from your doctor or read in a published peer reviewed research article
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:30 pm
I'm type O and have antibodies.
Back to top

happy12




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:30 pm
Hogwash
Back to top

Supermom#1




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I'm type O and have antibodies.


same here
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was sure I had the virus. I was pregnant at the time and lost completely my sense of taste and smell for a week with overall weakness. No cough or fever. I just had a baby and they tested me in the hospital for antibodies during my stay and they also tested me for COVID. I came back negative on both. No antibodies at all. Told my neighbor about it and she said she heard that blood type O mostly do not show antibodies. Some do but most don't. Any idea if it's true and why?


There are so many reasons why, even if you had the virus you may not have antibodies, including:

1. You were pregnant and that means less likely to have had a robust immune response necessary to generate detectable antibodies;
2. You had mild symptoms which likely means a less robust immune response;
3. Our antibody tests are not all very accurate (depends which one you took). They were rushed to market;
4. The antibody tests need to be sensitive enough that they do not confuse all cornavirus antibodies (from other common colds) with SARS-CoV-2 otherwise there would be a high false positive rate. Depending on the level of sensitivity of a test (less sensitive = more false positives which is the case with many nasal swabs | more sensitive = more false negatives) there may be false negatives and positives;
5. We do not know much about antibody response pre and post COVID19 (so when the best time to check for them is, etc.)
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 1:38 pm
DD went to urgent care to have her family tested, & they told her it's mainly for statistical studies. Really doesn't so anything for you (e.g. mean you can go out w/o precautions) because, for one thing, it shows positive for any corona variation (such as common colds). I don't know if hearing this at urgent care means it's accurate.
Back to top

gamzehyaavor




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:03 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
DD went to urgent care to have her family tested, & they told her it's mainly for statistical studies. Really doesn't so anything for you (e.g. mean you can go out w/o precautions) because, for one thing, it shows positive for any corona variation (such as common colds). I don't know if hearing this at urgent care means it's accurate.

Heard this too from a big specialist
(This corona vs other corona accuracy part)
And pediatrician also said this would be mainly for statistical reasoning.
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:06 pm
DH is O type and shows antibodies.
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 2:17 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Heard this too from a big specialist
(This corona vs other corona accuracy part)
And pediatrician also said this would be mainly for statistical reasoning.


sigh. more broken telephone as people repeat what they heard from a doctor, nurse, hatzala member, cousin, brother, uncle, neighbor etc.
fyi, the test I took specifically tested for covid19 and I do have covid19 IGG antibodies (at least in did have them the first week in May)
That said, current medical advice is that rhe testing available is not 100% accurate at all. In addition, covid is so new that NOONE can say for sure who is or is not immune or how long the supposed immunity lasts or if someone is shedding virus. Anyone who says that they know this is spreading false, potentially harmful information and I also cannot wrapy head around why people make health decisions based on what they heard either 2nd hand supoosedly from a dr. or from someone who is not a medical professional. A rabbi can tell you that you should be davening with minyan or going to a shiur, but unless he has a medical degree, this advice ahpuld he accepted as spiritual advice and not medical.
Back to top

gamzehyaavor




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
sigh. more broken telephone as people repeat what they heard from a doctor, nurse, hatzala member, cousin, brother, uncle, neighbor etc.
fyi, the test I took specifically tested for covid19 and I do have covid19 IGG antibodies (at least in did have them the first week in May)
That said, current medical advice is that rhe testing available is not 100% accurate at all. In addition, covid is so new that NOONE can say for sure who is or is not immune or how long the supposed immunity lasts or if someone is shedding virus. Anyone who says that they know this is spreading false, potentially harmful information and I also cannot wrapy head around why people make health decisions based on what they heard either 2nd hand supoosedly from a dr. or from someone who is not a medical professional. A rabbi can tell you that you should be davening with minyan or going to a shiur, but unless he has a medical degree, this advice ahpuld he accepted as spiritual advice and not medical.

Since you’re quoting my post, I’ll assume you mean what I said?
If you’re really doubting me, you can pm me & I can share the email convo
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
50s-60s Bklyn Imas w no antibodies, how careful are you?
by amother
4 Today at 1:30 am View last post
Why WOULDN'T antibodies provide some protection?!
by amother
16 Wed, May 27 2020, 8:13 pm View last post
Antibodies and positive nose swab
by amother
24 Wed, May 27 2020, 1:00 pm View last post
by nchr
Miriam Handler talent show 0 Mon, May 25 2020, 8:10 pm View last post
ISO Tempura fish with a duck sauce type
by yo'ma
3 Sun, May 24 2020, 12:36 am View last post

Jump to: