Home

Amtrak from NYC, New York to Orlando, FL
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:09 pm
Has anyone here gone with Amtrak from New York to Orlando Florida? Is it doable with children? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Disclaimer: I am not asking your opinion if I should go or not. I will report your post If you turns this into a bashing threat.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:12 pm
My parents did it. It takes about 24 hours. I think there are direct trains.
I would absolutely not do it with kids. I don't think it's possible to keep them cooped up in a train for 24 hours. Even for adults it's crazy.
It's a very scenic ride though.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
My parents did it. It takes about 24 hours. I think there are direct trains.
I would absolutely not do it with kids. I don't think it's possible to keep them cooped up in a train for 24 hours. Even for adults it's crazy.
It's a very scenic ride though.


It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.


You have no other form of ID
Back to top

Amelia Bedelia




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:22 pm
cbg wrote:
You have no other form of ID

This. You don't need a passport for domestic flights, just a valid form of ID. I believe that a NY driver's license or NYS ID is acceptable.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.


You don't need a passport to fly domestic.
And driving is shorter than the train and you can make stops. It makes more sense with kids.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:29 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You don't need a passport to fly domestic.
And driving is shorter than the train and you can make stops. It makes more sense with kids.


If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.


It’s either passport or the new licenses. Find out if your license is already a real id
Back to top

amother




Green
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.


That is not in effect yet. You can fly with any form of picture I'd. I believe an expired passport can also work for domestic travel but not 100% sure I remember correctly. Maybe someone else here knows?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
It’s either passport or the new licenses. Find out if your license is already a real id


Nope it's not.
Back to top

BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:38 pm
RealID goes into effect October 2021.
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:53 pm
When you drive, you have more control over your schedule. And if a kid won't stop screaming, ok; not fun, but not disturbing others. Also, a train car sized space for that amount of time seems like the perfect environment to get Covid.
Back to top

cnc




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.


That only goes into effect in October.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 5:59 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll look into the IDs that I have if they are valid.

I would love to hear from somebody that traveled with kids with an Amtrak.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.


When did it expire? You may be able to fly with an expired passport as ID, so long as it is within a relatively short period of time. Check FAA rules and also call the airline. I couldn't find the answer easily, sorry.

DH talks about a relative who was afraid of flying and took the train to Miami. It was so awful, she flew back. This was years ago, though.
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
My parents did it. It takes about 24 hours. I think there are direct trains.
I would absolutely not do it with kids. I don't think it's possible to keep them cooped up in a train for 24 hours. Even for adults it's crazy.
It's a very scenic ride though.

If it’s a scenic ride I don’t see the problem. Kids are used to being cooped up these days (some more than others). Is there room to walk around a little bit? Possible to bring along activities to do on the way? I’d prefer this option over driving.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
If it’s a scenic ride I don’t see the problem. Kids are used to being cooped up these days (some more than others). Is there room to walk around a little bit? Possible to bring along activities to do on the way? I’d prefer this option over driving.


Kids don't care much for scenic. It gets boring very fast. It's a train, not much space to run around. And there might be othes in the car. A 24 hour train ride with kids is recipe for disaster.
Kids are used to being cooped up in a house, not in a train car for 24 hours straight. It's torture.
Back to top

amother




Burlywood
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:07 pm
We drive with adult kids and it’s great
We take the car and then the train ride is overnight so everybody goes to sleep
Make sure to arrive early enough if you want to put your car on and you need to make reservations for every member plus your car
It’s not cheap, but equal to hotel and car rental rental
You arrive early morning and have to wait around an hour until you get your car off and then it’s a short drive
For the kids the inside is similar to being on a plane but since it’s overnight hopefully they should sleep most if the way
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Kids don't care much for scenic. It gets boring very fast. It's a train, not much space to run around. And there might be othes in the car. A 24 hour train ride with kids is recipe for disaster.
Kids are used to being cooped up in a house, not in a train car for 24 hours straight.

I thought Amtraks are more spacious than regular trains. I was thinking a tablecloth on floor with activities like play doh etc... of course it’s not to compare to a house. 18 hours in a car isn’t either. She compared it to driving not flying.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post  Fri, May 22 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I thought Amtraks are more spacious than regular trains. I was thinking a tablecloth on floor with activities like play doh etc... of course it’s not to compare to a house. 18 hours in a car isn’t either. She compared it to driving not flying.


A train is like being on a coach bus for 24 hours. You can't spread a blanket on the floor, there's very little space and you can't block the isle.
In a car you're not cooped up for 18 hours. You stop periodically to stretch your legs and run around.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Recommendation for a place to stop halfway to orlando?
by amother
5 Mon, May 25 2020, 7:25 pm View last post
Why has New York the highest Covid19 death rate per capita? 60 Sun, May 24 2020, 2:09 pm View last post
June weddings in New York
by amother
32 Sun, May 24 2020, 2:07 am View last post
Another Week With No End In Sight In New York
by amother
5 Sat, May 23 2020, 11:44 pm View last post
Open NYC now!
by amother
124 Fri, May 22 2020, 5:20 pm View last post

Jump to: