Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Candle Lighting Question
Previous  1  2

singleagain

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:34 pm
What about something like this. It's USB, rechargable. And but a flame, but a spark

Candle Lighter, Electric Arc USB Rechargeable Lighter Windproof Flameless Portable Plasma Lighter with Triple Safety Button, No Spark & Smell, Perfect for Kitchen Stove BBQ Camping Fireplace, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085.....DVJB2

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husbands parents hold by rav abba shaul, but my husband is going by rav ovadia since we got married. Also its hard because we moved to a different country and my husbands rebbeim arent here. We really dont have a rav in this country and we don't even have a way to meet anyone b/c of everything closing. Ive been calling the local bais horaah when things come up...

The local bais horaah is great until you find a shul. Let them know you are sefardi and they should be able to answer accordingly.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
The local bais horaah is great until you find a shul. Let them know you are sefardi and they should be able to answer accordingly.

I do and they sometimes tell me they don't know the sefardi halacha. When that happens my husband asks a rav from my hometown that he davened at his shul once before the matzav started. Very frustrating not having anyone here!!

rakcna

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey. I recently got married and feel dumb with some of my "basic" questions. Figured its worth it to post here. I married a sefardi guy so here goes: On friday night before candle lighting, I say the bracha, strike the match (I use long ones) and then begin to light my candles. However, the past two shabbats it got really frustrating because the match would flicker off before I even lit a candle. B/c I said the bracha already, am I not able to strike another match? How could I light shabbos candles if the flame goes out already?
Any suggestions?

You are now Sephardi? We do not take in Shabbat when saying the bracha. Say the bracha, strike the match/light the lighter, light the candles (or olive oil which many of us do). If you need to light the match again, go ahead and do it.

Also, this applies for other melacha as well. You can do melacha after lighting as long as you did not yet accept Shabbat and it isn’t actually Shabbat yet. You should accept Shabbat at least a few minutes prior to shekiya.

Two other things to remember. It is a custom for many of us, once per year (after RH) to say that we are not mekabel Shabbat with the bracha. Also, if you are making early Shabbat, you may need to accept Shabbat with lighting, so ask you LSOR.

In general, you may find the instarabbi app helpful. They are sponsored by GoSephardic, but they have Rabbanim and Dayanim from many paths and backgrounds. Most of the Sephardic Rabbis learned at יחוב דעת or under Rabbi Maxi Sutton.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 1:03 am
rakcna wrote:
You are now Sephardi? We do not take in Shabbat when saying the bracha. Say the bracha, strike the match/light the lighter, light the candles (or olive oil which many of us do). If you need to light the match again, go ahead and do it.

Also, this applies for other melacha as well. You can do melacha after lighting as long as you did not yet accept Shabbat and it isn’t actually Shabbat yet. You should accept Shabbat at least a few minutes prior to shekiya.

Two other things to remember. It is a custom for many of us, once per year (after RH) to say that we are not mekabel Shabbat with the bracha. Also, if you are making early Shabbat, you may need to accept Shabbat with lighting, so ask you LSOR.

In general, you may find the instarabbi app helpful. They are sponsored by GoSephardic, but they have Rabbanim and Dayanim from many paths and backgrounds. Most of the Sephardic Rabbis learned at יחוב דעת or under Rabbi Maxi Sutton.

Thank you! So helpful. I was (am?) sefardi before too, my mother just kept her ashkenaz lighting minhag for some reason.

I never heard about the malacha after lighting thing before. Usually I daven mincha, and then I light by accepting ten mins early.

I heard about the instarabbi app. My husband wants a consistent (yeshivish) rav he can speak to though, I dont think he would want an app... I guess he'll just refill his calling card to call his rebbeim back home :/

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! So helpful. I was (am?) sefardi before too, my mother just kept her ashkenaz lighting minhag for some reason.

I never heard about the malacha after lighting thing before. Usually I daven mincha, and then I light by accepting ten mins early.

I heard about the instarabbi app. My husband wants a consistent (yeshivish) rav he can speak to though, I dont think he would want an app... I guess he'll just refill his calling card to call his rebbeim back home :/

By us (Chassidish/Ashkenazi) we adapt every minug from husband after wedding EXCEPT candle lighting... one mitzvah done like wife's mom. not familiar if sefardim do too, you might want to look into this...
(We make bracha first only on YT when its permissible to light candles)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions