Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
200 struggling businesses to open tomorrow in Brooklyn
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 11  12  13  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
This is horrendous. How these police officers are being treated... Putting them in a position where they cannot social distance. Yelling out “go back to Germany!” Disgusting. This is more than just “reopening stores.” And then people say “why is there so much anti-semitism?” I’m horrified.

ReOpenNY store owners need to plan and educate their consumers on how they want the protest to look when the police inevitably arrive. They just let the masses come and then there was a zoo and disobedience instead of peaceful protest. They didn't think it all through. Really sad to watch.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:47 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Being forced to close for likely an even longer period, facing heavy fines, etc...this won't help pay the bills.
I said before, my heart goes out to them. But how did the actions of today help?
Even if they go to court and win the right to reopen, it's not happening in the next week or two. Probably several. And they aren't gonna end up with a cash settlement.

Retail opening is part of stage 3 and that could take awhile. It is hard to say if Cuomo and DeBlassio will work something out with them. What's the chance that these merchants will ever trust another Democrat? If NYC becomes a slum full of boarded up businesses, empty apartments, and failing schools, who will take responsibility for this?
And I personally, also don't have a need to shop at the moment but I see how dire that situation is and if I were brave and stupid enough to shop at Walmart and Target, I could buy plenty of filthy germed up non-essential merchandise and nobody except my whole family would try to stop me.

freilich

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
If the goal was simply to open businesses it wouldn't have been on Fox News and all over the papers and social media. Like someone else said, they would have done like in Williamsburg and quietly opened one by one for customers so as not to get shut down. If I wanted to open my business at this time I would use WhatsApp, email, or maybe even this forum to quietly announce to the frum community appointment only shopping, not arrange for an interview on the television!

If you consider illegally opening stores under lock down orders to be criminal, not a very smart criminal! Its like holding a news conference before robbing a bank to announce you will be robbing a bank.

I want to make it clear that I feel for our local businesses and there should have been a way for them to safely stay open through all of this. I consider every one to be essential - even pizza shops or toy stores. They are more than businesses, they provide a sense of normalcy and even safety.

I felt scared and still do kind of that there won't be "enough" available - enough cream cheese for yom tov, enough toilet paper, enough of our favorite water bottles, clothing for yom tov, etc. The stores being open and available make me feel more confident that the world is still turning and things are available.

I am also scared that half of these restaurants and stores will have closed permanently after all this - stores that serve our community and that have been part of our neighborhood for years.

What makes it ok for Tesla owner Elon Musk to announce his opening up, and not for us small businesses?

This double standards have got to stop. Rules for thee, not for me.

freilich

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:17 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I don't think this was the way to keep them afloat, though.
Sounds like it only made things worse.
Even if they go to court, what do they think is going to happen? It will likely be weeks till that wraps up, and even if they win, it's not like they will get a settlement of money from the government.
My heart goes out to small business owners, but this was a foolish thing to do.

This wasn’t an at the spur of the moment decision. They have proper lawyers ready to represent them. They where open to the fact that this is how it might look in the beginning. But hoping by making noise they might garner support. What they did was make a protest, and take it a step further.

Did they do an illegal act? Probably. But thats what they feel they need to do in order to attract the proper attention. Let’s hope this will end for the good of us all.

CiCi

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:55 pm
freilich wrote:
This wasn’t an at the spur of the moment decision. They have proper lawyers ready to represent them. They where open to the fact that this is how it might look in the beginning. But hoping by making noise they might garner support. What they did was make a protest, and take it a step further.

Did they do an illegal act? Probably. But thats what they feel they need to do in order to attract the proper attention. Let’s hope this will end for the good of us all.

It's not illegal according to the US Constitution. What Coumo is doing is illegal according to the Constitution.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
NYC has no plan of opening up. I can't understand how people are so blinded. The graph for the past two weeks stayed the same despite new hospitalizations dropping significantly. It's pretty obvious that these politicians are abusing their rights and that totally not legal!

Today is May 24. As of this week, all of the state other than NYC, Rockland and Westchester will be at least in phase 1, AIUI. Phase 2 allows retail to open, and much of the state will probably be there in a week.

NYC and the remaining areas are expected to reach Phase 1 no later than mid June. 3 weeks. If all goes well, retail is 2 weeks later, the end of June.

If you want to whine, please whine about accurate facts.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:01 pm
CiCi wrote:
It's not illegal according to the US Constitution. What Coumo is doing is illegal according to the Constitution.

Which article or amendment is he violating?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Today is May 24. As of this week, all of the state other than NYC, Rockland and Westchester will be at least in phase 1, AIUI. Phase 2 allows retail to open, and much of the state will probably be there in a week.

NYC and the remaining areas are expected to reach Phase 1 no later than mid June. 3 weeks. If all goes well, retail is 2 weeks later, the end of June.

If you want to whine, please whine about accurate facts.

No whining “just the facts” as Coumo likes to say.
NYC has been up to par on everything besides hospital beds availability. On any given day without the virus hospitals operate at 80% capacity. That means the way it’s now its at its best point. Maybe by mid June doesn’t mean anything cause we’ve gotten many maybes in the past.

And to quote Cuomo again he mentioned in his Friday briefing that he still has to decide when those regions that are in phase 1 can move to phase 2. The 2 week rule was just a recommendation not something that he will go by.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:06 pm
CiCi wrote:

Please cite care authority in support of your assertion that it is unconstitutional for a state to place restrictions on businesses in a pandemic, to protect the health of citizens.

States have the police power functions to protect the health, safety and welfare of persons within their borders, including the right to use and enforce isolation and quarantine.

You can start by explaining why Gibbons v Ogden (1824) which upheld a state’s right to quarantine is inapplicable. Work your way up from there.

While you’re at it, explain how overturning 2 centuries of Supreme Court precedent fits in with conservative philosophy.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:09 pm
I think that phase 2 is retail curb service and phase 3 is full retail. Does anyone have it who can post it?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:09 pm
freilich wrote:

It’s called impact advocacy. They wanted to attract the police. They wanted their faces in the papers. They want to fight in court, which will take longer than the reopening. If you think this is about stores getting mi he, you’re naive. It’s about the right challenging Cuomo. And they don’t care who gets hurt in the interim

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Please cite care authority in support of your assertion that it is unconstitutional for a state to place restrictions on businesses in a pandemic, to protect the health of citizens.

States have the police power functions to protect the health, safety and welfare of persons within their borders, including the right to use and enforce isolation and quarantine.

You can start by explaining why Gibbons v Ogden (1824) which upheld a state’s right to quarantine is inapplicable. Work your way up from there.

While you’re at it, explain how overturning 2 centuries of Supreme Court precedent fits in with conservative philosophy.

What happened in Wisconsin just now ?

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:14 pm
Ok, I found it. Retail curb service is stage one and full storefront retail is stage 2

SixOfWands

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:21 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I think that phase 2 is retail curb service and phase 3 is full retail. Does anyone have it who can post it?

southernbubby wrote:

No, that’s Phase 1:

Quote:
Phase One includes delivery, curbside, and in-store pickup service only for the following businesses:

Clothing Stores
Direct Selling Establishments
Electronics and Appliance Stores
Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
Furniture and Home Furnishing Stores
Florists
General Merchandise Stores
Health and Personal Care Stores
Jewelry, Luggage, and Leather Goods Stores
Lawn and Garden Equipment and Supplies Stores
Office Supplies, Stationery, and Gift Stores
Used Merchandise Stores
Shoe Stores
Sporting Goods, Hobby, Musical Instrument and Book Stores
Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers

https://forward.ny.gov/industr.....phase

Quote:

Phase Two will allow a wider range of businesses to reopen, including storefront retailers and businesses in the professional services, finance and insurance, administrative support, and real-estate and rental-leasing industries. Under the current guidelines, no region will eligible to begin Phase Two until at least May 30.

https://nymag.com/intelligence......html

Btw, Rockland and Westchester apparently go into phase 1 on Tuesday. And Long Island is expected later this week. Leaving just NYC.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
What happened in Wisconsin just now ?

You’re not an attorney, are you.

The Wisconsin decision was not based on the US Constitution. In fact it was a procedural decision. The court ruled that while the governor possesses emergency powers as governor, and could have imposed the stay at home order, the order was actually effectively imposed by a department of health official, whose discretion as a political appointee is more limited.

In sum (1) no violation of US Constitution; (2) upholds governors’s rights under Wisconsin law; (3) but not right of DOH.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
It’s called impact advocacy. They wanted to attract the police. They wanted their faces in the papers. They want to fight in court, which will take longer than the reopening. If you think this is about stores getting mi he, you’re naive. It’s about the right challenging Cuomo. And they don’t care who gets hurt in the interim

I would think that it's setting the stage for a class action suit against the State of NY because challenging Cuomo won't save their businesses.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/when-will-new-york-reopen-phases-and-full-plan-explained.html

Btw, Rockland and Westchester apparently go into phase 1 on Tuesday. And Long Island is expected later this week. Leaving just NYC.

Thanks! Rockland is really happening!

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:43 pm
Interesting to note BP had protestors outside the stores and Williamsburg had quiet spectators.

For those wondering why so many are there, Wallabout looks like that on any given day.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:49 pm
Florida and Georgia opened retail stores weeks ago - with NO SPIKE in covid cases which continue to drop. It is UnJust that Big Businesses like Walmart are allowed to be open but small businesses cannot.

Big Corporations are Democrats and Small Business owners are Republicans.

Democrats are destroying the competition for Big Business.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:06 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Thanks! Rockland is really happening!

Check me before you get excited. I read mid Hudson not to include Rockland or Westchester, then I read an article saying it does include them.
Page 7 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics