Home

ISO milchig challah recipe

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

What type of meals do you eat on Shavous?
All Dairy
 11%  [ 5 ]
All meat- no kiddush or not specifically dairy
 0%  [ 0 ]
All meat meals-dairy kiddush
 25%  [ 11 ]
One dairy meal-remainder (1 or 3 depending on location) meat
 25%  [ 11 ]
Night meal(s) dairy day meal(s) meat
 11%  [ 5 ]
Night meal(s) meat day meals(s) dairy
 4%  [ 2 ]
Dairy course before one meal- remainder (1 or 3) only meat
 6%  [ 3 ]
Dairy course before 2 meals (in chutz la’aretz)
 4%  [ 2 ]
Dairy course before all meals
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43


mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:10 pm
My DH learned that one should have a milchig challah at the beginning of the shavous day meal (and then switch to a fleishig meal so you will need to use 2 challahs). I know some people just have a milchig appetizer so the challah is eaten with milchig, but he learned milchig challah.

I know I could just use butter instead of egg to top any bread recipe, but I’d prefer a milchig dough.

Any suggestions? A small recipe would be great because I only need one challah (I can make some rolls to freeze for after Yom Tov but I have limited milchig oven space/time, so less is better)

Thanks!
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:13 pm
I"m not entirely sure it's halachically permitted to make a milchig challah. But I also don't want to start another one of "those threads"...
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:18 pm
Success10 wrote:
I"m not entirely sure it's halachically permitted to make a milchig challah. But I also don't want to start another one of "those threads"...

This . I’ve heard this too. But maybe it’s allowed if it’s made in a different shape that would identify that it’s dairy. But I too heard that baking dairy challos and rolls are not allowed.
Back to top

Frumme




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:28 pm
Long story short (according to Shulchan Aruch)- you're allowed to make a dairy dough, but there are a few caveats. 1) make it a distinct shape, and or 2) make only enough for one meal (e.g. Shavuos meal).

https://www.ok.org/kosherspiri.....read/

Ok on with OP's question... I would just take a small batch challah dough and sub out the oil for melted butter. Maybe mix in a little cheese and fresh chives. 😊 Wish I had an exact recipe for you!
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:40 pm
Success10 wrote:
I"m not entirely sure it's halachically permitted to make a milchig challah. But I also don't want to start another one of "those threads"...


I appreciate your concern, but as I mentioned my husband learned that one should make a milchig challah for the shavous meal, so I would assume it is permitted to do so.

(We will make it in a distinctive shape to avoid any issues of it getting mistaken for pareve.)


Last edited by mamaleh on Sun, May 24 2020, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

33055




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:42 pm
Make brioche.
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:49 pm
Squishy wrote:
Make brioche.


Any good recipes?

In general, keep in mind that the dough has to be Hamotzi (for ashkenazim). We did ask about dough that uses milk as the liquid and were told that as long as it is bread (as opposed to cake), it is fine.

I always thought of brioche as more of a hybrid of bread & cake (please correct me if I'm wrong). That might not work.
Back to top

Success10




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 1:53 pm
mamaleh wrote:
I appreciate your concern, but as I mentioned my husband learned that one should make a milchig challah for the shavous meal, so I would assume it is permitted to do so.

(We will make it in a distinctive shape to avoid any issues of it getting mistaken for pareve.)


No harm meant. Have a yummy yontiv!
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:20 pm
Frumme wrote:

Ok on with OP's question... I would just take a small batch challah dough and sub out the oil for melted butter. Maybe mix in a little cheese and fresh chives. 😊 Wish I had an exact recipe for you!


Thanks! If I don't find a better option, I'll do something like that.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:23 pm
OP, does the challah itself need to be milchig? Or can you just smear it with cream cheese or butter when you eat it? I would think that would be easier . No additional batch of challah.
Back to top

srbmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:41 pm
Or maybe you can use to butter to make a milchig crumb topping to sprinkle on top of a regular challah.
Back to top

egam




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 2:41 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Any good recipes?

In general, keep in mind that the dough has to be Hamotzi (for ashkenazim). We did ask about dough that uses milk as the liquid and were told that as long as it is bread (as opposed to cake), it is fine.

I always thought of brioche as more of a hybrid of bread & cake (please correct me if I'm wrong). That might not work.


That's a very valid point. Brioche is more of a dessert bread extremely rich in eggs and butter. Amount of eggs, butter and sugar is much higher than amount of liquid, that alone would render brioche a mezonos even when made with water.
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 3:10 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, does the challah itself need to be milchig? Or can you just smear it with cream cheese or butter when you eat it? I would think that would be easier . No additional batch of challah.


Yes, he learned the challah itself has to be milchig. I can use reg dough and just coat it with butter before baking (instead of egg) but I’d like a real milchig bread, if possible.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 4:02 pm
I never heard of a requirement to make milchik challah. if you were to make milchik bread, which is generally frowned upon, you have to make it very visibly different from your regular loaves to prevent the possibility of mistakenly serving it at a fleishik meal. This is halacha, not custom. just coating the crust with butter wouldn't do it. you'd have to make it look completely different. if I were making it, which I wouldn't, I would make it a weird shape and stamp it all over with the letter chet for chalavi. And then I would either make sure it was all eaten up at that meal or store the leftovers in an obviously milchik container.

Ask your dh where he learned about the "requirement" for milchik challah, and then AYLOR. Some people think you "have to" have cheesecake on Shavuos, too.
Back to top

mamaleh




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 4:25 pm
zaq wrote:
I never heard of a requirement to make milchik challah. if you were to make milchik bread, which is generally frowned upon, you have to make it very visibly different from your regular loaves to prevent the possibility of mistakenly serving it at a fleishik meal. This is halacha, not custom. just coating the crust with butter wouldn't do it. you'd have to make it look completely different. if I were making it, which I wouldn't, I would make it a weird shape and stamp it all over with the letter chet for chalavi. And then I would either make sure it was all eaten up at that meal or store the leftovers in an obviously milchik container.

Ask your dh where he learned about the "requirement" for milchik challah, and then AYLOR. Some people think you "have to" have cheesecake on Shavuos, too.


He learned it in a Halacha shiur last year. (ETA I just double checked with him, he showed it to me inside- the Mishna Berura brings it as a minhag. So, while it might not be 'halacha', it is still a recommended practice and definitely not something to be frowned upon.)

I didn’t mean butter would make it identifiable, just that that would qualify it as milchig bread. I said I would make it a distinct shape.


Last edited by mamaleh on Sun, May 24 2020, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 4:31 pm
I always do garlic knots for shavuos. melted butter, crushed garlic and parsley if desired. Brush onto challah. Yum. Very obviously milchig and really good.
Back to top

33055




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 4:44 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Any good recipes?

In general, keep in mind that the dough has to be Hamotzi (for ashkenazim). We did ask about dough that uses milk as the liquid and were told that as long as it is bread (as opposed to cake), it is fine.

I always thought of brioche as more of a hybrid of bread & cake (please correct me if I'm wrong). That might not work.

Brioche is dairy challah which is what you are looking for.
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 7:56 pm
Add shredded cheese into the dough.

What distict shape will you be doing? I once asked my rov about making a milchig bread. He said it has to be clearly distinctive. I had a 2 bread machines at the time. one was on its last legs. And made a cylinder shaped bread. So I used that to make the cheesy bread.
Back to top

icare4eo




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 24 2020, 11:41 pm
Use milk instead of water!
I do that when I make pizza dough its absolutely delicious, and I've done that with dinner rolls
Back to top

fatso gal




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 25 2020, 12:10 pm
mamaleh wrote:
My DH learned that one should have a milchig challah at the beginning of the shavous day meal (and then switch to a fleishig meal so you will need to use 2 challahs). I know some people just have a milchig appetizer so the challah is eaten with milchig, but he learned milchig challah.

I know I could just use butter instead of egg to top any bread recipe, but I’d prefer a milchig dough.

Any suggestions? A small recipe would be great because I only need one challah (I can make some rolls to freeze for after Yom Tov but I have limited milchig oven space/time, so less is better)

Thanks!


Can you please post the source as my husband would like to see this inside.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO best mask for hot weather
by amother
2 Yesterday at 6:49 pm View last post
ISO great warm bais yakov and yeshiva ktana
by bobeli
8 Yesterday at 3:22 pm View last post
ISO honey BBQ chicken nuggets from kids cooking made easy 3 Yesterday at 1:46 pm View last post
ISO Girls Day camp in Monsey
by amother
8 Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:51 pm View last post
ISO Good Blender
by pause
15 Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:59 pm View last post

Jump to: