Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How are the breakfast and lunch pickups changing?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:51 pm
I heard from a friend that the program is changing at the end of the month... That there will be no more pickups just money if your childs school had the lunch program. None of my children are in schools with a lunch program and the lunch pickups have been so helpful to us. Does this mean we will get nothing starting next month?

Goldie613

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:57 pm
This is what I was emailed - I'm putting it here as received, minus the name of my kid's school =

We hope you are enjoying the meals and they are helping reduce the stress and burden you are facing.

Please be advised that a relief program will be announced shortly that will provide additional relief for families whose children attend a school that participates in the National School Lunch Program and that they have met the requirements for Free and REduced meals. Parents may be receiving up to $420 per child. Some of the details are provided below.

Participation in the (@@@@) program will NOT impact your ability to participate in that relief effort. You may continue to accept our Grab & Go Meals while STILL being eligible for this new program

We wanted to share good news for free lunch eligible students and their families whose schools participate in the National School Lunch Program through the New York State Education Department's Office of Child Nutrition. The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance recently announced that many parents are now eligible for food benefits via the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) program (read the announcement here). This program was made possible by the Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020.
This is a very exciting development for eligible families, who will receive approximately $420 per child to buy food in the coming weeks.
We want to clarify which schools and families are eligible for this program, and whether your school needs to take any next steps. Please see below for some answers to Frequently Asked Questions (more FAQs can be found here).
How Does it Work?
Families who generally receive lunches via the National School Lunch Program will receive money on their existing EBT cards or to spend on groceries. If a family doesn't have an EBT card, the family will be notified how to receive the benefit. The maximum a family will receive is $420 per child.
Are My School’s Families Eligible?
If your school participates in the National School Lunch Program – where the school receives federal funding to provide free or reduced-price lunches – then some or all of your families are eligible for P-EBT.
If your school does not participate in the National School Lunch Program, then your families are not eligible.
My School Participates in the National School Lunch Program. Which parents will receive P-EBT benefits?
If your school has enough low-income students and has implemented the NSLP’s Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) then all families regardless of income will receive P-EBT benefits.
If your school participates in the NSLP but has not implemented the NSLP’s Community Eligibility Provision, then only the families who were receiving free or reduced-price lunches will receive P-EBT benefits.
Do Families Need to Enroll or Opt-In?
No. Families who currently have an EBT card will have the P-EBT benefits loaded to their existing cards automatically. Eligible families without an EBT card will receive instructions from the State in the mail how to receive their money.
If your school participates in NSLP, they will provide the state school roster of families eligible to receive NSLP-funded lunches. We expect the State to issue guidance in the coming days and weeks with next steps, if any, that schools need to take.
Can Families Opt-Out?
No. All families will automatically receive the money, much like stimulus checks many have automatically received. P-EBT is intended for you to purchase food and there will be guidelines for uses.
Can P-EBT Families Still Receive Free “Grab and Go” Lunches Through the School District?
Yes. P-EBT food benefits will not affect a curbside meal pick-up or delivery program through the school district. And a family’s participation in that program does not affect eligibility for P-EBT benefits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries