Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How do you make challah crusty?

Catcher

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:05 pm
What is the secret?

I really need that gorgeous crusty shell.

Tell me.

aliavi

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:07 pm
Haha. Usually crusty isn’t a nice description. Do you mean have a firm outside instead of squishy? Egg wash

newbie613

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:10 pm
I put the challah in the oven before Shabbos and it always gets nice and crusty.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:13 pm
If you are asking about dough recipe I can't answer that.
But immediately after removing challos from oven, put them to cool, out of the baking pans on a cooling rack. If you don't have a rack then keep turning them sideways on parchment paper so you never let the heat steam and "sweat" underneath the challah.
Even better, while challos are baking, when they are already fully formed on the outside just not ready yet, take them out of the baking pans and continue baking them directly on the oven racks.
I also prefer to bake challah on large cookie sheets or baking pans so the walls of the pans never touch the challah.
Also after challah cools down store in paper bags rather then plastic. Ok to freeze wrapped well in plastic. If challos were frozen immediately unwrap them completely when removing from freezer until they defrost, and also turn over from time to time. Otherwise the slight water moisture from the freezer can seap into the crust during defrosting and make it soggy.

ez-pass

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:13 pm
I put the challah Ina hot oven (425-450) for a while till the crust is very crusty. Inside is very soft

Surrendered

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:35 pm
Friday afternoon put the challos in the oven for 10-15 minutes in the oven on 350°, it will come out crispy on the outside and soft inside.

lovesshoes

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 9:38 pm
When I bake challahs, I am never been able to achieve the crusty crust Smile of the water challahs that I buy in the store. Is there a special recipe for that? Even when I warm up my challah in the oven right before Shabbos I never get that "water challah crust" even though my recipe contains no eggs. I do use eggwash though.

sarah14

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:24 am
Add to the egg wash a little water and your challah will get a nice crust
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads