Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Small “learning groups”
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:30 pm
I really want this to remain respectful.
I’m honestly confused and trying to figure this all out where I stand. I feel like I’m being pulled in two directions and I know I’m not the only one. So please tell me your opinion, feelings, but respectfully and back it up if you can.

Minyanim with SD are allowed.
Groups of 10 and less are ok with SD if possible and masks if not. Preferably in open spaces to allow for more air to circulate.
The curve is close to flat (in NYC) and we are literally 2% off in bed numbers to start reopening. IMO, the back and forth and hold ups is all political.

Now, if we have groups of kids from schools, say 5-8 boys (or girls), who are sitting in a large open space (indoor or outdoor), wearing masks and maintaining SD, with a teacher doing the same. For 3-4 hours a day, is it such a big deal?

My kids school wants to start doing that.
Originally I said I’m ok for up to 1-2 hours, once or twice a week, I can’t hold my son back when his teacher is grouping them on the phone and all his friends are there.
Now they made it daily. For 4 hours. Almost complete SD, they’re kids so obviously they’re not perfect. Mask wearing if they’re sitting too close. And for some reason It’s just rubbing me the wrong way. My son is devastated that I don’t want him to go every day and rightfully so, he has been home for 10wreks, homelearning is not for him and mentally/emotionally, I see he needs it.

So what do I do? They’re both wrong choices. I’m so torn. Because on the one hand there’s nothing Wrong with small SD groups and we have to Emerge into society at one point, but it’s all so secretive and sneaky and schools aren’t supposed to be open - so again , wrong vs wrong.

Tell me: am I the only one feeling this way? Because every. Single. Person around me thinks I’m being crazy and should just send him. My daughters school are trying to set up the Same thing and I just can’t take the pressure.

Hit me with it! Help me out here. Banging head

soap suds

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:34 pm
What's the difference if it's twice a week or 4 times a week if it's the same group every day?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:45 pm
Fact is they are not really social distancing...take your son and ask specific questions....

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:48 pm
soap suds wrote:
What's the difference if it's twice a week or 4 times a week if it's the same group every day?

Minimal/limited exposure.

My son said they are socially distancing except if one boy talks to another during the break time then they wear masks.

I think if it’s a couple times a week, especially in the beginning, they’ll stick to it. Over time they’ll be more lax. So that’s reentering society the perfect way - but then I read threads that cps can get involved because school can’t be open? I’m tormented with confusion. TMI

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:51 pm
then ask your dr. and your rov

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:57 pm
I have the same problem.rav says to send. Doctor says stay home.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 7:06 pm
I would send if it’s outdoors. In NJ you can legally gather with 25 people. We’ve been social distancing for such a long time that it became the new normal- it’s hard to break away from it. But things are slowly but surely getting back to normal...look at the States that have opened up and have not had recurring cases.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 7:20 pm
I'm finally ready to send my kids to these small group sessions, only to learn they're back together as a class. Close to 30 kids, + rebbe, in a space tighter than their already none-too-spacious classroom.

And the rebbe admitted the three kids who do show up with masks whip them off sooner rather than later.

This whole situation is ridiculous, but I'm the one that's considered weird.

Hiding

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:14 pm
Indoors is a big problem speaking from the countries ahead of us and their experience so far. If it was groups to the size allowed meeting outdoors only with masks & strict sd, I would think it is okay-ish. But it certainly is not following the rules, the law, exemplifying true Torah honesty in all dealings....
Follow your gut. If it was mine, I would still do what I think, not the school override me.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:29 pm
I’m letting my son go. Max 5 boys outside with rebbe in huge yard.

As a family We are still strictly SD. DH is following all legal rules with minyanim. My son is in 6th grade and the type to listen to me and keep 6 ft distance.

But I think after shavous drs will advise loosening up more. Just a feeling I have. I don’t think we are going to stay like this forever.

(If your rav allows it and dr doesn’t - did you tell your rav that?)

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:36 pm
It's hard to know what doctors really believe.

Doctors must toe the government line or risk losing their license.

There are doctors who don't vax their own kids but vax their patients because
they will lose their license if they don't.

It is a fact that kids are very low risk from covid so I would do it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I would send if it’s outdoors. In NJ you can legally gather with 25 people.s.

Does that apply to groups of school boys as well?

I am also reluctant to send my son to such learning session. Kids are not adults.

soap suds

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Does that apply to groups of school boys as well?

I am also reluctant to send my son to such learning session. Kids are not adults.

True, kids would not SD as well as adults would (if at all), but on the flip side, children are (now) said to be less likely to spread the virus.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:12 pm
Same dilemma! And I'm considered the crazy one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Same dilemma! And I'm considered the crazy one.

Unfortunately I feel like I’ve given in.
I told my son this morning I don’t want him to go today and he was devastated. And I realized I’m putting his emotional/mental health at risk. He can’t take this.
So I took him for an hour and then he came home for lunch and went back for the last hour.
There’s very very little SD if any, my only consolation is that it’s a large large space with open windows, and only 8 people.

I can’t anymore. I can’t be the mean nasty one, I’m literally the only one still fighting and I’m losing my fight. I’ll face consequences I just wish it wasn’t like this.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:59 pm
For me I feel like the goal was to flatten the curve.
I don’t feel like the virus is over.
But I feel like the boys have to live a bit normal in case it ch’v stars agin.
I can’t isolate my boys until a vaccine is found and safe. That’s the only time you can really stop to SD. It could be years.

Hillery

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:12 pm
Coronavirus is all but over in all major heimishe areas. I get the fear, especially at the height of the pandemic, but by now it's just utterly ridiculous. Send him, let him learn, and bez"H he'll be safe.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:13 pm
Hillery wrote:
Coronavirus is all but over in all major heimishe areas. I get the fear, especially at the height of the pandemic, but by now it's just utterly ridiculous. Send him, let him learn, and bez"H he'll be safe.

In the history of pandemics there have always been lulls.
To tell that it’s over is dangerous and spreads false information and makes us look stupid.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unfortunately I feel like I’ve given in.
I told my son this morning I don’t want him to go today and he was devastated. And I realized I’m putting his emotional/mental health at risk. He can’t take this.
So I took him for an hour and then he came home for lunch and went back for the last hour.
There’s very very little SD if any, my only consolation is that it’s a large large space with open windows, and only 8 people.

I can’t anymore. I can’t be the mean nasty one, I’m literally the only one still fighting and I’m losing my fight. I’ll face consequences I just wish it wasn’t like this.

Their mental/emotional health is important. Peer pressure- they shouldn't feel left out.
Only 8 students and outdoor I would send.
My issue is more like 25 students, indoors. I wish I was joking.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:24 pm
It's awful that rebbis/schools are pushing the parents to make these choices.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics