Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Daughter still didnt begin menstruating
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:44 am
nothing to worry about.

4g01o

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:11 am
It usually goes according to when the mother got hers give or take. How old were you? I wouldn't worry. 14 is very normal too.

freilich

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:17 am
Fab4 wrote:
It usually goes according to when the mother got hers give or take. How old were you? I wouldn't worry. 14 is very normal too.

Funny, I actually heard it goes according to the fathers family. Any professionals can chime in?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:34 am
Do not worry. Thin girls menstruate later.

So do women with PCOS.

I got one natural period at age 16 and one at age 23 ... my mother used to cry about it ... I knew I would be fine. Went on bcp (or provera every three months, I alternated sometimes) at age 16 to clear out the uterine lining periodically. Had 4 kids without difficulty. It’s usually PCOS or some variation of that. Maybe it can be improved with diet, exercise, vitamins/minerals and medication? Definitely don’t worry about the fertility. Just the other PCOS symptoms like acne and hirsutism should be treated to prevent a teenager from feeling bad about herself.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:40 am
freilich wrote:
Funny, I actually heard it goes according to the fathers family. Any professionals can chime in?

I was told by a doctor that girls tend to take after their mothers in regards to puberty. And boys after their fathers.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:41 am
freilich wrote:

My father and all his siblings hit puberty pretty early. My mother and all her siblings were late bloomers.
I was a late bloomer.
My brother after me was average.
The next brother was late.
My sister was early.
Next sister was early.
Next sister seems to be late (7th grade, and zero signs)
The next siblings are too young.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:41 am
I was 12 but my Mother in law was 16. I was so happy she told me that because I was completely unworried when my own daughters didn't get theirs until 14. They are still teens and get their periods regularly so no hormonal imbalances (that we know of). They just got their periods a bit late. My next daughter at age 10.5 is just now starting to show signs of puberty beginning so I'm guessing she'll get her period closer to age 12 like I did. (Older ones didnt show and signs till about 12)

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD turned 13 over a month ago. no signs of a period on the horizon. should I be worried?

No, you shouldn't be worried at all...
There is a range from 8 to 16 for the start of the period, so you have a few years before you need to worry...
But, of course, it would be good for her to know what the period is all about and what it might look like in the beginning before it starts...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:07 am
Is your pediatrician on board with melatonin every night?

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:13 am
It was my 13th birthday present! 13 is within average. That means that later is normal too. I’d call the doctor to understand when it would be a concern.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:56 am
My daughter also was delayed and had to have an operation

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:57 am
I was 16 when I got mine

4g01o

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
My daughter also was delayed and had to have an operation

I'm sorry to hear. But OP's daughter only just turned 13! I'd only take her to the dr if she's not had it by 15/16.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:16 am
I got mine when I was 15

tweety1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:22 am
freilich wrote:

Makes sense. I got mine at 12.1. Dh sisters all got between 15.6-16.6. Dd is over 15 and hasnt gotten it yet.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:35 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I was told by a doctor that girls tend to take after their mothers in regards to puberty. And boys after their fathers.

Definitely not true for me and my daughters. But my daughter overall resembles DH so it makes sense that she took after his family in this too....

My youngest looks more like my side of the family, so maybe she'll take after me.

gamanit

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:54 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

That's inaccurate. Girls have two X chromosomes; one from their mother and one from their father. Puberty can follow either. Boys have only one Y chromosome from their father. While they won't necessarily follow the exact same track there isn't one entirely different track for them to follow.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:58 am
I got mine at 10 but I know ppl who got it at 18.
Ny friend who got it at 18 was small and petite.
May have to do w weight

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:01 pm
BTW one of my DD's had a well-visit in the morning, and the doctor said based on signs she has at least a year till she gets her period. she got it that afternoon.

So much for doctors and their predictions. I always tell this to those who think they don't have to prepare their daughters because they are sure they won't get it yet....even a doctor can't tell.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:29 pm
My daughters took melatonin every night not a small dose got their periods at 12.
So early!! I got it at 14 no melatonin. Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children