Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Train day and night together at the same time??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:36 pm
Dd is old enough to train her soon. For my older kids, I always only trained for waking hours. I would put a diaper on at night or for naps and then switch them to underwear when they woke up.

Some people train all of it at once. Her diaper is pretty wet in the mornings now. For those who have done all of it at once, how do you do it?

My older kids took a long time to learn at night. Thank you.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:47 pm
In my opinion, night has to happen on its own. When kids get daytime training down to pat, it's easier for their bodies to get used to staying dry at night.

Dolly1

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:52 pm
I agree with amother babypink. Night shud happen on its own. Focus on day.

solo

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:53 pm
How do u train for night time actually? I thought it’s just about them being physically ready. I always start potty training for daytime and put a diaper/ pull up on before bed. I stop putting on a nighttime diaper after a few days of them waking to go or waking up dry.
1/4 of my kids woke up dry when they were potty trained.
2/4 started waking at night to go. (1 went to the bathroom on his own. And one used to wake me cuz she needed help getting n n out of bed and into the toilet😭)
And one was potty trained at 2.5 but wet her nighttime diaper until she was 6.5 ( I was actually starting to worry)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:14 am
I am not so good at night training. Some got it at 4-5 years. 2 of my kids are still working on it at older ages.

I hear some people do them at the same time. Since we have a hard time with it, I wanted to open the topic up.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 12:44 am
I agree. There is no way to "train" a child at night.

After potty trained by day, many kids automatically wake up dry - but many kids do not.

Sometimes it takes years. This is usually genetic and runs in families.

If a child is really older, there are methods (alarms to try).

But OP should just concentrate on training by day and see if it carries over to night.

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 1:05 am
I always train at night at the same time. For starters- the toddlers don’t have bottles so that helps a lot. I find that if they are so busy controlling themselves by day then they are still in it at night time too.

mom2mysouls

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 2:20 am
flowerpower wrote:
I always train at night at the same time. For starters- the toddlers don’t have bottles so that helps a lot. I find that if they are so busy controlling themselves by day then they are still in it at night time too.

Same here.

4g01o

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 3:33 am
Do it at once, but wait until she's automatically dry on her own at night. It should happen eventually. It can take a week or so. If it never happens then I'd wait to do nights separately. Good luck

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:10 am
I also did at night the same time as day.
I put my kids in "nighttime underwear" (pull-ups) which of course they could make in, but they didn't know, as I did not ever use them during the day.
Within a week or 2, they were consistent dry through the night and I switched to regular underwear at night.

blessedflower

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:59 am
Night should happen on it's own. Many kids it happens by itself together with day training.
I focused on training my dd by day. It went smooth. I realized that a few days in a row her diaper in morning was dry. Or only very little wet. So I took it of. Made a point of no drinking past bedtime and took her again to bathroom before I went to sleep. And thats it. But it basically came by itself. Many people when they see their kids diapers are dry 3 days in a row, still wanto focuse on day training but that's a mistake because eventually the kid learns it's okay and easier to make in diaper at night and then it takes longer to train at night.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 7:41 am
I potty trained night and day together, my son is actually more reliably dry at night than he is by day. There’s only one way to do it:
1) limit liquids for a few hours before bed.
2) wake up at night to take them to the toilet. You might need to experiment with exactly when to take them, like right before you go to sleep versus closer to the morning. When you accidentally miss a night or two and they’re still dry, they’re done.
It took my son almost no time at all to go from diaper at night to one bathroom stop at night and waking up dry, and about 2-3 months until no bathroom stops at night, waking up dry.
I feel it gets the “pee goes in the toilet” concept across more effectively when you follow the same rule 24/7.
I used the book “Oh Cr*p: Potty Training” it explains it in detail. It’s been a process with my son but the night training has actually been the simplest part.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 8:56 am
None of my kids ever woke up dry til I purposely trained them a year or 2 or 3 after day training. 2 are still even working on it.

I never got what people meant by waking up dry on their own. The three kids that I successfully trained never woke up dry on their own. I had to just train them.

So I guess I coujd try "nighttime underwear" (pull up- I Also never use them)... Is it ok that she's still in a crib?

Any other practical tips how to do this?

About limiting fluids, she drinks at dinner 630-7. Having her use the toilet at 730 won't really be enough, will it?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I guess I coujd try "nighttime underwear" (pull up- I Also never use them)... Is it ok that she's still in a crib?

Any other practical tips how to do this?

About limiting fluids, she drinks at dinner 630-7. Having her use the toilet at 730 won't really be enough, will it?

Being in a crib shouldn’t matter unless she will need to use the bathroom on her own in middle of the night, once she is able to stay dry.

Re drinks, you really want to avoid liquids as much as possible - the author of the book I referred to says to think of liquid intake as an inverted pyramid: drink the most after waking up, then taper off throughout the day. It’s really hard for a kid to control their pee if their bladder is full at bedtime. An hour is likely not enough time for her to process all that liquid.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:28 am
Unpopular opinion. Most kids CAN be night trained and its a myth to say "they wont till they are biologically ready" I remember attempting to night train my 4.5 year old at night and venting to an old friend and she said "Dr shanik (lkwd) says its impossible to do till the kid is ready" I am so happy I trusted my intuition and ignored that advice or she would still be in diapers at night at 6 years old. It took some work but it was well worth it. It was really starting to affect her socially when we went to siblings/siblings in law for shabbos with kids younger than her who wore underwear at night. All the things I did to help her along were very short term till she got the hang of it. No drinks after 4, waking her to go before I went to sleep, charts etc. But within 2 weeks of doing this she got the hang of it on her own.
Yes, I believe there are some kids who aren't biologically ready, but that should not be an excuse not to try bec with a little help most kids CAN do it. Good luck OP

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not so good at night training. Some got it at 4-5 years. 2 of my kids are still working on it at older ages.

I hear some people do them at the same time. Since we have a hard time with it, I wanted to open the topic up.

There is no such thing as night training. When it happens, it happens. My two older boys took till about 9 or 10 years old. My 4 year old still wets at night. My pediatrician says up to twelve is normal for boys. Theres nothing to do about it, just make sure not to make them feel ashamed.

silverlining3

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:39 am
Both of my kids trained on their own for the night. The few times I woke child to go to the bathroom, they stayed up for a while after. I stopped and let it play out on its own. Older one, around a 3/4 year after being trained for by day and the other pretty much together. Though my older one, even after stopping bottles, still wet her diapers. To this day she uses the bathroom more often than others. Every child is different.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:43 am
I train both night and day together. Or almost together. I don't train early in general. I tend to toilet train between ages three and four. All three of my kids trained very easily.... I gave them a choice each night of a diaper, a pull up, and underwear. I left it up to them. Within a week of training day all three of them were wearing underwear at night and BH never had any accidents in their bed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Unpopular opinion. Most kids CAN be night trained and its a myth to say "they wont till they are biologically ready" I remember attempting to night train my 4.5 year old at night and venting to an old friend and she said "Dr shanik (lkwd) says its impossible to do till the kid is ready" I am so happy I trusted my intuition and ignored that advice or she would still be in diapers at night at 6 years old. It took some work but it was well worth it. It was really starting to affect her socially when we went to siblings/siblings in law for shabbos with kids younger than her who wore underwear at night. All the things I did to help her along were very short term till she got the hang of it. No drinks after 4, waking her to go before I went to sleep, charts etc. But within 2 weeks of doing this she got the hang of it on her own.
Yes, I believe there are some kids who aren't biologically ready, but that should not be an excuse not to try bec with a little help most kids CAN do it. Good luck OP

So do I start the same day as day??
Should I wait a couple days and then put on night undies?

I will give her a lot to drink during the day and no liquid after 4 except a tiny bit at dinner which she expects, waking again at 10.

Do you keep up the no liquids after 4 long term?? I don't see that happening.

But, what if dinner is soup? we do that a lot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I train both night and day together. Or almost together. I don't train early in general. I tend to toilet train between ages three and four. All three of my kids trained very easily.... I gave them a choice each night of a diaper, a pull up, and underwear. I left it up to them. Within a week of training day all three of them were wearing underwear at night and BH never had any accidents in their bed.

Thanks!
What else did you do to make it work?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training