Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are all big-box stores in NY really open?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:34 pm
I don't live in NY though I've been following all the discussions here and in the wider media regarding small businesses being closed while all the big-box stores are open.

I keep reading 'if the big-box stores are allowed to open we should be allowed to open to' as if small businesses are being discriminated against.

It mentions that sentiment here too: https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....ures/

But is this really true?

As a comparison, here in UK all the supermarkets like Tesco, Asda etc are obivously open since they sell essential items. Plus all smaller stores that sell some essential items.

But ALL clothes stores etc that don't sell essential items are closed regardless of size, including department stores. And everyone is sticking with it while they have to (though of course finding ways to make it work including deliveries and pickup with easier return policies and sometimes appoinments).

Is Macy's open in NY? What about Kohl's? H&M & Zara?

If not, please can you explain why everyone keep saying that all the big stores are allowed to be open, if it isn't even true?

What can't these small stores discreetly operate by appointment only or with curbside pickup without making a whole brouhaha as if they're being picked on?

Einikel

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't live in NY though I've been following all the discussions here and in the wider media regarding small businesses being closed while all the big-box stores are open.

I keep reading 'if the big-box stores are allowed to open we should be allowed to open to' as if small businesses are being discriminated against.

It mentions that sentiment here too: https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....ures/

But is this really true?

As a comparison, here in UK all the supermarkets like Tesco, Asda etc are obivously open since they sell essential items. Plus all smaller stores that sell some essential items.

But ALL clothes stores etc are closed regardless of size including department stores. And everyone is sticking with it while they have to (though of course finding ways to make it work including deliveries, pickup and sometimes appoinments).

Is Macy's open in NY? What about Kohl's? H&M & Zara?

If not, please can you explain why everyone keep saying that all the big stores are allowed to be open, if it isn't even true?

What can't these stores quietly open by appointment only or with curbside pickup without making a whole brouhaha as if they're being picked on?

I’m not sure how it works in the UK but many big box stores like target Costco and Walmart have food as well as clothing and household items which are non essential. Strictly clothing stores are closed. So stores that sell items sold in big box stores feel this is unfair.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:38 pm
Einikel wrote:
I’m not sure how it works in the UK but many big box stores like target Costco and Walmart have food as well as clothing and household items which are non essential. Strictly clothing stores are closed. So stores that sell items sold in big box stores feel this is unfair.

Yes it's the same here too. We also have Costco plus others like that. If they sell food plus clothes then they can be open.

But there's still plenty of big department stores and clothes stores that don't fit into that category and are therefore closed. So the argument of big box stores vs. small businesses doesn't work.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:46 pm
The department stores aren't open. Most of the time when people here refer to the big box stores they mean the supercenters that have food plus everything else.

Einikel

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes it's the same here too. We also have Costco plus others like that. If they sell food plus clothes then they can be open.

But there's still plenty of big department stores and clothes stores that don't fit into that category and are therefore closed. So the argument of big box stores vs. small businesses doesn't work.

Most department stores already do most of their sales online. So it’s really the small businesses that are suffering most.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The department stores aren't open. Most of the time when people here refer to the big box stores they mean the supercenters that have food plus everything else.

So why is it a valid argument?

They're not being discriminated against if all the large clothes chains etc. aren't open.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:50 pm
Einikel wrote:
Most department stores already do most of their sales online. So it’s really the small businesses that are suffering most.

I hear that they are suffering, of course they are. But I just don't understand why they are making as if small businesses are being discriminated against. They want permission to open, I get that. And I'm sure there are peaceful ways to lobby for it. But why make as if they are being unfairly treated compared to the big stores when that isn't true?

Einikel

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear that they are suffering, of course they are. But I just don't understand why they are making as if small businesses are being discriminated against. They want permission to open, I get that. And I'm sure there are peaceful ways to lobby for it. But why make as if they are being unfairly treated compared to the big stores when that isn't true?

One argument is that only the essential aisles in these stores should be allowed to stay open.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:56 pm
Einikel wrote:
One argument is that only the essential aisles in these stores should be allowed to stay open.

I would hear that argument. But that's not what they're saying. They're saying that there's a double standard being applied here where big chains are allowed to open and small stores aren't. Which just isn't true.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So why is it a valid argument?

They're not being discriminated against if all the large clothes chains etc. aren't open.

People are buying their clothes at Target, Costco and Wal-Mart now. These are people who usually don't purchase clothes at these centers. The other clothing stores are losing out. The supercenters' numbers are up by a lot. They are getting the majority of the business.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I could walk into Costco and pickup new socks. I can't walk into local store an pickup socks.

giselle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What can't these small stores discreetly operate by appointment only or with curbside pickup without making a whole brouhaha as if they're being picked on?

Because it’s illegal (appt only)

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:02 pm
Department stores are closed. May have declared bankruptcy and L&T will not be reopening (other than to liquidate the inventory in the store).
Some of the mom and pops clothing and toy stores near me have moved to a delivery/curbside model.
People just love to scream that things are unfair and they are being persecuted.

itsmeima

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
People are buying their clothes at Target, Costco and Wal-Mart now. These are people who usually don't purchase clothes at these centers. The other clothing stores are losing out. The supercenters' numbers are up by a lot. They are getting the majority of the business.

Right, like people who shop at Mezzo will now show at Target.

itsmeima

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:04 pm
giselle wrote:

And what they're doing now isn't?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:05 pm
giselle wrote:

There are stores that have being doing it discreetly for a while without any issues. Better than illegally opening with all this fanfare.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There are stores that have being doing it discreetly for a while without any issues. Better than illegally opening with all this fanfare.

that's your opinion.

giselle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:08 pm
itsmeima wrote:
And what they're doing now isn't?

What they’re doing now is trying to make a living. Which is a little difficult to do with discreet private appointments.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:11 pm
I live in South FL.
Only Walmart,Target, Costco, Walgreens, Dollar Tree are the only stores open, besides other pharmacys and supermarket, grocery stores
In the beginning (March/April) when you walked into Walmart and Target they corded off clothing area, and you were only allowed to purchase essential items
After a while they opened everything up, but that has been in the last 2 weeks, at least in my area.
I went to Walmart today. It was FULL of ppl like a Sunday afternoon. at the mall. Tons of kids
All adults had masks, few kids had masks, but they were close to their parents in the cart or in strollers. I feel that ppl need to do something so they are taking their kids to Walmart/Target.

Costco is really doing a good job
Only 2 ppl -total- can come in with one membership card, so you can’t really take your family on an outing

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:16 pm
giselle wrote:
What they’re doing now is trying to make a living. Which is a little difficult to do with discreet private appointments.

As I said, I hear all that. There are other ways to sell as well which would encourage customers (deliveries, free return pickups) though of course it makes it much harder to make a living.

Though they can lobby for their needs without crying discrimination and loudly going against regulations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics