Home

Can someone clue me in? WHAT CHANGED???
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 8:26 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Us not knowing if there is, doesn't mean that there isn't. The people in BP and Willi are convinced that there is herd immunity.

You really don't see the difference between 1 person spreading it in a world where NOONE is immune, to 1 person spreading it where many, many people are immune?

And round and round the circle we go....


Whut?
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Us not knowing if there is, doesn't mean that there isn't. The people in BP and Willi are convinced that there is herd immunity.

You really don't see the difference between 1 person spreading it in a world where NOONE is immune, to 1 person spreading it where many, many people are immune?

And round and round the circle we go....


If people ARE immune then I understand.
My questions are only if they believe there’s no immunity because of the many strands etc.

But ya, if there IS immunity, I’m pretty sure most people had it by now.
Aside the older ones who were meticulous about opening their mailbox only with gloves that got thrown out right after they set aside the mail in a side room to quarantine for 7 days, like my parents, who washed each tomato that the grocery delivered behind their door with soap after it too quarantined for three days. They didn’t have Covid.
But most people I know had it. I myself had it.
Back to top

Hillery




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 9:42 pm
Simple question:
What specific thing or situation should happen that will make you secure enough to go out and mingle?

If it's zero or close to zero cases, that has already happened in Brooklyn, Lakewood, London and other places.

If it's a vaccine, good luck staying locked up till that materialises.

Anything else, will anyway not happen, so you might as well start mingling now.
Back to top

amother




Powderblue
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 10:13 pm
Hillery wrote:
Simple question:
What specific thing or situation should happen that will make you secure enough to go out and mingle?

If it's zero or close to zero cases, that has already happened in Brooklyn, Lakewood, London and other places.

If it's a vaccine, good luck staying locked up till that materialises.

Anything else, will anyway not happen, so you might as well start mingling now.


Smile Hillery Im also a little paranoid about Covid but I like your posts they’re always refreshing to read Smile
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
This is isuch a selfish attitude. What you do effects other people. If you all go out and crowd together and breath onto each other, you are spreading disease, that effects everyone in the community and outside of it, if someone that caught it ventures out. Normal, to what extent? My children are playing outside with masks. I go out every day, with a mask adn I take it off if nobody is around. Nobody said you have to stop living.

dont you have parents you're worried about? that someone out there will get them sick? I had this converstaion before it started with a relative who said I was nuts. and its all hype. I just told her please dont let your children near your parents.. guess what? one of them died. We all knew this was coming before Purim. Most chose to ignore it, bec. denial seems to be a "go - to" tactic .


You are just repeating everything that Dr. Fauci put out there, that has no basis. If every person that went out had an effect on you, you should care more about the parks that are overloaded with people than a single me.

Like I said, If you believe it is safer to be home, you are more than welcome. I am not obligated to stay home. I take care of my health, and you take care of yours.

You ask if I have parents. Yes, my mom got it while being strictly locked up at home, with no access to anyone. My dad is in a nursing home and tested positive, but I am still not allowed to see him now for over 10 weeks.

So if you believe your relative's children caused their grandfather to die, go ahead. I dont believe that.
Back to top

amother




Burlywood
 

Post  Tue, May 26 2020, 11:37 pm
A poem from shel silverstein

Fear

Barnabus Browning
Was scared of drowning,
So he never would swim
Or get into a boat
Or take a bath
Or cross a moat.
He just sat day and night
With his door locked tight
And the windows nailed down,
Shaking with fear
That a wave might appear,
And cried so many tears
That they filled up the room
And he drowned.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Us not knowing if there is, doesn't mean that there isn't. The people in BP and Willi are convinced that there is herd immunity.

You really don't see the difference between 1 person spreading it in a world where NOONE is immune, to 1 person spreading it where many, many people are immune?

And round and round the circle we go....


Let's do a little math:

There are 5.58 million confirmed cases of covid worldwide. There are 7.8 billion people in the world.

To answer your question - no I don't see a difference between 1 person spreading it in a world where NOONE is immune, to 1 person spreading it where .07% of people are questionably immune.

(And even if you want to say that there were many more cases that were not confirmed - let's be generous and say there are 10 times as many unconfirmed cases, the percentage of "immune" people would still be less than 1%!!)
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let's do a little math:

There are 5.58 million confirmed cases of covid worldwide. There are 7.8 billion people in the world.

To answer your question - no I don't see a difference between 1 person spreading it in a world where NOONE is immune, to 1 person spreading it where .07% of people are questionably immune.

(And even if you want to say that there were many more cases that were not confirmed - let's be generous and say there are 10 times as many unconfirmed cases, the percentage of "immune" people would still be less than 1%!!)

Dividing the total number of cases worldwide by the global population is not a helpful indicator of your risk. Cases aren't spread out homogeneously over the globe.

But putting the issue of immunity aside, we are much more prepared for dealing with this disease now. Here in Israel, there were some local cases, and all the contacts for the identified infected persons were notified and tested. That way infected persons can be isolated and the spread contained.

Also, unlike back in Feb/March, we are taking measures to reduce transmission. Movie theaters and events have seating that is spaced further apart, people wear masks at work and in stores, restaurants have limited seating, etc.

I think this has been explained many times upthread.
Back to top

amother




White
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 12:51 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
The old 2nd wave theory zzzzzzzz


I hope it's not true!
I had corona and tested 0 for antibodies.
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
You are just repeating everything that Dr. Fauci put out there, that has no basis. If every person that went out had an effect on you, you should care more about the parks that are overloaded with people than a single me.

Like I said, If you believe it is safer to be home, you are more than welcome. I am not obligated to stay home. I take care of my health, and you take care of yours.

You ask if I have parents. Yes, my mom got it while being strictly locked up at home, with no access to anyone. My dad is in a nursing home and tested positive, but I am still not allowed to see him now for over 10 weeks.

So if you believe your relative's children caused their grandfather to die, go ahead. I dont believe that.




with apologies for the cheesy image. Best I could do at 1 am.

What are you if you care only for yourself? If you refuse to wear a mask to protect the health of others? If you refuse to socially distance?

What kind of person doesn't care what happens to others?

Is that what we're teaching our children, follow Torah, be ever so careful not to turn on a light even a second after Shabbat. But you really don't have to wear a mask, even if you could potentially be killing others.

Showing a little knee makes you a ho. Declaring that you don't care about the welfare of others makes you a good person.

You wear a sheitel or tichel or hat. Cover your elbows in the heat of summer. Put your daughters in long skirts and your sons in kippot and tzitzit. But a mask, potentially saving the lives or others, is too much.

I fear what has become of Jews. Or at least some here. Not where I live. B"H.

No one has asked you to stay at home. We've asked you to be responsible when you're out.
Back to top

ora_43




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:22 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
But it started with ONE person!
I also don’t get it.

And from one person it went to millions of people incredibly quickly when few if any precautions were being taken.

But OP is talking about outdoor minyans. Shopping with social distancing. That's already a very different story.

Three months ago if one person had it, they might go to shul and infect another 50 people.

Today that same person would only be davening with 9-18 other people, and they'd be standing 2 meters apart, outdoors. It would be unlikely that even a single other person would be infected.

(yes, I'm aware that plenty of people are having shul services indoors. What can you do Can't Believe It but OP asked about outdoor minyans)

And then apply this across the board. The virus is less likely to spread in supermarkets when people are keeping a distance from others in line, it's less likely to spread at the office when the windows are open and people are wearing masks, it's less likely to spread at family dinners if people are eating outdoors and sitting at somewhat of a distance.

Add that all up and you get a virus that's spreading a lot slower. It might still get from one person to millions of people given enough time, but there's a lot more time for people to look around and say 'whoops, everyone's getting sick again' and take (even more) steps to prevent spread.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:33 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:


with apologies for the cheesy image. Best I could do at 1 am.

What are you if you care only for yourself? If you refuse to wear a mask to protect the health of others? If you refuse to socially distance?

What kind of person doesn't care what happens to others?

Is that what we're teaching our children, follow Torah, be ever so careful not to turn on a light even a second after Shabbat. But you really don't have to wear a mask, even if you could potentially be killing others.

Showing a little knee makes you a ho. Declaring that you don't care about the welfare of others makes you a good person.

You wear a sheitel or tichel or hat. Cover your elbows in the heat of summer. Put your daughters in long skirts and your sons in kippot and tzitzit. But a mask, potentially saving the lives or others, is too much.

I fear what has become of Jews. Or at least some here. Not where I live. B"H.

No one has asked you to stay at home. We've asked you to be responsible when you're out.


Op asked about why people are feeling safe to go out. I responded why. The discussion was not about masks. Rolling Eyes

Please don't repeat everything you heard from the media. I've heard it all and know it's half not true.

I dont see how you are intertwining shabbos, tzitzit, kippot, and skirts. Rolling Eyes I wear a mask for society, and I go out. Period.

You should be more concerned that all the non jews are out than picking on a single Jewish Ima - by saying she doesn't care about others. Very wrong of you.
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just a few weeks ago, people were treating each other as if they had the plague. Crossing the street when someone walks by, not eating food made outside your own house, ppl dying alone, ppl not saying kaddish in shul, not getting taharos, crazy situations of ppl making pesach alone. All in the name of sakanas nefashos.

Now I understand the the economy has to reopen. I totally get that. And I get that the government was worried about a healthcare system overload and now the curve has been flattened. But people's risk of getting sick and dying is no less than it was two months ago. The sakanas nefashos factor is still the same.

So I genuinely don't understand why our communities are "reopening"? Why are outdoor minyanim ok now if they weren't two months ago? Why is SD socializing, shopping or learning ok now if just a few weeks ago, the mere suggestion would have you pegged as a grandma-murderer?

What changed?!?!

What changed is that the daily increase of registered cases went down from 25% to about 1%.

There are two aspects to this question: individual health and public health.

You still should quarantine when you have the disease. This has not changed.

You still should self-isolate if you belong to a risk-group. That has not changed.

You still should not expose people belonging to risk-groups. That has not changed.

What has changed is that the health care system, at the moment, is not at risk of being overwhelmed by the load of new cases.

That's why restrictions can be slightly relaxed, not too much...

As long as daily growth rate stays under 5%, or as long as the number of daily new cases stays under a certain value (depending on the number of available beds per day), the health care system can cope.

There are two reasons why measures reducing the risk of infection through unidentified carriers should still be kept in place:

- the less people get infected, the less people die (fatality rate is about 0,4% overall, according to new estimates by epidemiologists)

- abandoning social distancing completely could lead back to a growth rate over 20% per day
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Recent Topics

Page 6 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Baby gift for someone in Israel - today 10 Wed, Jul 01 2020, 2:27 pm View last post
Can someone please explain this to me
by amother
0 Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:16 am View last post
Do you know someone living named Elazar?
by amother
33 Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:58 am View last post
by ROFL
Can someone please help me understand
by amother
33 Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:12 am View last post
Anyone know of someone who can replace cracked ipad screen?
by amother
3 Mon, Jun 15 2020, 9:15 pm View last post

Jump to: