Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are Non Jews in NY Still Social Distancing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:40 pm
We heard all opinions from our own. Whether we should or shouldn’t mingle, shop, go to shul, private cheider, make carnivals, open camps, stores, dentists... I’m very curious what’s going on out of our circles. Are they not mingling with friends and neighbors? What on earth are their kids doing all day every day? Are their kids wearing masks outside? Genuinely curious.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We heard all opinions from our own. Whether we should or shouldn’t mingle, shop, go to shul, private cheider, make carnivals, open camps, stores, dentists... I’m very curious what’s going on out of our circles. Are they not mingling with friends and neighbors? What on earth are their kids doing all day every day? Are their kids wearing masks outside? Genuinely curious.

Some are, some aren’t.

Except that I haven’t seen or heard of secret churches or schools, it’s not all that different.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:52 pm
"Non-Jews" aren't some homogeneous group of people. I'm sure there is varying degrees of compliance for different demographic groups, and a broad range of compliance for individuals within each group.

If you want to get a feel for what non-Jews think or do, you should probably ask this on boards where people from those communities actually participate.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Some are, some aren’t.

Except that I haven’t seen or heard of secret churches or schools, it’s not all that different.

Well, they are secret after all Wink

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:36 pm
Some are and some aren’t.
Please make your medical decisions based on what professionals say and not what the neighbors do

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 3:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The non Jews I know were not strictly socially distancing even from the beginning.

ora_43

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:00 am
City, or state?

The non-Jews (and secular Jews, fwiw) I know in NYC and the region are still social distancing.

Keep in mind that social distancing isn't so much about what you do as how you do it. The people I know still shop, but using curbside pickup. Some started seeing friends recently - outdoors, at a 2-meter distance.

Nobody I know is back to life as normal yet.

Yoyo613

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:10 am
They are not. Only 15 percent have masks on at brooklyn nice waterfronts of greenpoint

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 5:08 am
They are people. Just like us. Some follow the rules and some don’t. My two immediate neighbors are not Jewish. one made his annual Memorial Day bbq and the other is still staying home from work alone. Just like one shul in my neighborhood has been closed and another has been open this entire time. NYS not City.
(Don’t derail this thread with the shul thing please. I am bringing it up to prove my point)

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:33 am
Yoyo613 wrote:
They are not. Only 15 percent have masks on at brooklyn nice waterfronts of greenpoint

You don’t need a mask if you socially distance. No idea if that is the case.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:51 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
The non Jews I know were not strictly socially distancing even from the beginning.

My non Jewish friends still are. Then again, so are my Jewish friends.

I see plenty of people in kippahs in the park who are obnoxiously standing on places that make them difficult to get around, without kippot. And plenty of people without kippot doing the same.

I think it’s a chilul Hashem to openly declare your devotion to serving Hashem while at the same time acting in a manner that infringes on others ability to enjoy the outdoors, and violates law. For that reason, it bothers me marginally more to see religious Jews doing it.

But really, it’s not limited to one group.

Reality

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Pretty impossible to practise SD at crowded city parks especially on a holiday weekend.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:56 am
My non-Jewish neighbor hosted a pool party Sunday and the week before on Saturday. 10 cars lined up on the street and another 5 in their driveway. I was happy to see it because it made me not feel bad about our lag b'aomer family gathering.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 6:59 am
Oh, there are definitely secret churches!

Ick.

I de-friended a few people over this.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:32 am
Non-jews are the essential best people in NYS. They follow the rules to the T. As per imamother Twisted Evil
Couldn't resist

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:40 am
SixOfWands wrote:

If you are outdoors and far enough from people a mask is not necessary.
Indoors, in crowded areas, and places with a lot of people - masks are needed.

If a place is truly crowded where you cannot SD I would not go there. I'm especially careful if to be indoors in public areas (stores) for as little time as possible and only go places where I see masks are worn and there is no overcrowding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics