Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
One year Israel programs and second wave

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 8:40 am
If your kid is supposed to go to Israel next year from the US or elsewhere, and the program is opening (to my knowledge, they have not closed), are you planning to send? Has your school communicated with you about how they plan to handle the coming year? If you don't want to send, has your kid already deferred college? What will they do?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:22 am
Anyone?

imasinger

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:33 am
We're planning to send. Seminary has sent some instructions, but they'll be updated as the rules shift.

We're expecting a 2 week quarantine at the beginning, and SD rules. Tiyulim might not happen, or might be different.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:44 pm
Are students going to be allowed in the country in August?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 2:17 pm
The truth is that no one really knows. A lot of programs have been in touch with parents of next year's students and told them what they know so far.

Right now, schools can submit a list to the misrad hapnim with the names of students. The school must take responsibility for quarantining them for 14 days. That means each student has separate sleeping, eating and hygiene facilities. Obviously, not every school can provide this level of quarantine, but that's what the law requires. So some kids who left between Purim and Pesach are returning to Israel now.

No one knows how long this rule will be in effect. Should boys come in the middle of Av so they can be ready to start learning on Rosh chodesh Elul? What about girls who plan to come after yom tov?

No one knows when airlines will be flying. It changes from day to day. El Al is still charging hefty change fees for its open ended tickets.

What if there's a second wave? Borders might be closed again. Dorms might need to be reconfigured. Kids might need to stay in every shabbos. Some schools have a protocol in place, some don't.

No program can tell you that they know exactly what's going to happen. If they tell you what contingency plans they are making, that's honest.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 3:36 pm
Personally I wouldn’t send to any seminary who did not give at least a partial refund to girls who went back in March. I don’t know which seminaries did (I just know that the one my family member went to did not) and we were very unhappy. If I had a daughter planning to go next year I would try very hard to convince her to stay in US. It’s definitely taking a chance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics