Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Shavuos simple menu

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:45 am
So after not going for Pesach, we were planning on going to DH's parents for shavuos.

Man plans, Gd laughs. DH came down with every single Corona symptom today. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
He is going for a test, but the results will likely not come back before yt. So home it is.

I had no plans on cooking for yt, no menu, no shopping, nothing.
Who can help me with a simple menu that I can cook quickly at night? (working full-time.) Just the two of us and one baby. We only do meat meals.

TIA.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:56 am
make one or two big roasts, one huge pot of soup. try to make big recipes and split it for a few meals. challa and baked goods you can buy. sides you can make on yt.
I'm always home for shavuos but this year I can't get myself to start cooking. so far I have nothing and planned nothing.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:03 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....91726

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:35 pm
I usually make steak and fries with a grilled veggie salad one meal on YT when it’s just us (two kids). Cook fresh right before the meal.

Fave

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:42 pm
If your husband has Corona he likely won’t eat much and won’t have an appetite for heavy stuff. Just saying so that you shouldn’t overwork and then be upset that only you ate.

I would go really simple:

Put up a soup (chicken, vegetable etc,) and put flanken and chicken in it. This will be good for 2 mains.

Baked salmon

Buy cheesecake or use a ready bought pie crust and fill with cheese cake batter.

Fresh fruit for dessert

tante_feige

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:52 pm
Fave wrote:
If your husband has Corona he likely won’t eat much and won’t have an appetite for heavy stuff. Just saying so that you shouldn’t overwork and then be upset that only you ate.

I would go really simple:

Put up a soup (chicken, vegetable etc,) and put flanken and chicken in it. This will be good for 2 mains.

Baked salmon

Buy cheesecake or use a ready bought pie crust and fill with cheese cake batter.

Fresh fruit for dessert

This. Realistically, you're just cooking for yourself and the baby.

Refuah shleimah to your husband!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:58 pm
I'm doing really simple-
1st night is soup, lasagna(sauce from can with grated cheese) and fish (coat salmon with basic spices, touch of oil and cook in oven)
I bought Pickled brisket-it's the easiest to cook-just put it in water and cook in the oven, then slice when cold-mine was enough for 2+ meals. I'm probably going to do that for 1st day and shabbos day. Fri night is my regular fish, soup, basic roast chicken and potatoes.
Sides-Making honey rice or orzo to go with brisket. Kugel for shabbos day.
Bought ice-cream for dessert.
Will make a cheesecake.

I find whenever I make loads, no one is hungry and it doesn't get eaten.

Cheiny

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So after not going for Pesach, we were planning on going to DH's parents for shavuos.

Man plans, Gd laughs. DH came down with every single Corona symptom today. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
He is going for a test, but the results will likely not come back before yt. So home it is.

I had no plans on cooking for yt, no menu, no shopping, nothing.
Who can help me with a simple menu that I can cook quickly at night? (working full-time.) Just the two of us and one baby. We only do meat meals.

TIA.

Fish course: Make some baked salmon with olive oil, lemon juice, spices and corn flake crumbs or bread crumbs, and or/ baked gefilte fish in oven (no pot to clean)-pour salsa over a loaf, cover and bake for 90 minutes.

Meat: any roast, either dry (lots of spices rubbed on top of roast, lay on top of a bed of onions), or with sauce, cover and bake for 3 hours.
A corned beef or tongue boiled, super easy (with sauce or not).
Any type of soup with meat in it. (Split pea, mushroom barley...)
Baked chicken dipped in a mix of mayo and ketchup or bbq sauce and spices, then coated in bread crumbs....

Sides: potato kugel, apple kugel, salad, roasted begetables

For Shabbos: cholent made on friday

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:03 pm
Thanks everyone. This isn't fun. My husband is usually super helpful, but he's totally knocked out now. So it's all one me.

What's the deal with cholent; you prep it before yt and put in on crock-pot Fri afternoon? That's allowed?

Also, what's most frustrating is that I actually love to cook and bake and patchke, and I was always dying to stay home for yt. But not on a 3 day notice. Sad

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. This isn't fun. My husband is usually super helpful, but he's totally knocked out now. So it's all one me.

What's the deal with cholent; you prep it before yt and put in on crock-pot Fri afternoon? That's allowed?

Also, what's most frustrating is that I actually love to cook and bake and patchke, and I was always dying to stay home for yt. But not on a 3 day notice. Sad

You have to make sure to make eiruv tavshilim before YT which allows you to cook in YT for Shabbos. You would have to have the crock pot on from before YT (plugged in) if you want to use it for Shabbos...or leave on a blech
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics