Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are there any Jewish/ yashan brands of instant oatmeal?
1  2  Next

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:00 pm
My husband has recently taken an interest in eating oatmeal for breakfast and we're a bit "undecided" on whether or not we want to keep kemach yashan (we didn't grow up religious). I live in the NY area and am checking the websites of all the kosher grocery stores we normally order from and they don't seem to carry any Jewish brands of oatmeal...

Are there any Jewish/ yashan companies that make instant oatmeal?

Simple1

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:04 pm
I don't know. But it's not the yashan season now - after Pesach till mid/end of summer- so you can have everything for the time being.

Last edited by Simple1 on Tue, May 26 2020, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:07 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I don't know. But it's not the yashan season now - after Pesach till the end of summer- so you can have everything for the time being.

Thanks - what is "the end of summer"?

avrahamama

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:08 pm
I am part of an amazing yashan WhatsApp group. PM me with your phone number and I can send you the invite link.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:08 pm
I don't know the exact dates. It's related to the growing season. Actually sometimes it's mid-August - I edited my post.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:09 pm
do you meen pas yisroel? cuz if so you dont have to get pas yirsoel oats regular ones are fine- just like you can eat granola bars even tho those arent pas yisroel. oats are in a different category

be good

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:11 pm
Yes, all oats are yashan for the next month at least. You can stock up.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
do you meen pas yisroel? cuz if so you dont have to get pas yirsoel oats regular ones are fine- just like you can eat granola bars even tho those arent pas yisroel. oats are in a different category

No, pat yisrael and kemach yashan are completely different. We are very strict on pat yisrael, but not so much about kemach yashan.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:12 pm
be good wrote:
Yes, all oats are yashan for the next month at least. You can stock up.

So, like, if I buy a bunch of non jewish brands of instant oatmeal now, I will even be able to consume them when "yashan season" is over?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:17 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
So, like, if I buy a bunch of non jewish brands of instant oatmeal now, I will even be able to consume them when "yashan season" is over?

Yes. Sign up for the yashan book and it will give you all the dates.

Subscribe for Chodosh updates:
In order to subscribe, please send them an email from your personal email account to
chodosh-subscribe@lists.projectgenesis.org

Downloads:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/y.....3famp

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes. Sign up for the yashan book and it will give you all the dates.

Subscribe for Chodosh updates:
In order to subscribe, please send them an email from your personal email account to
chodosh-subscribe@lists.projectgenesis.org

Downloads:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/y.....3famp

Thanks - I know about the yashan book - not interested - just wanted to know if there are Jewish companies that make instant oatmeal... I'm surprised that it seems there aren't any...

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:24 pm
MrsMalka wrote:

Yes! Anything you buy now is yoshon (from after Pesach till the new crops hit the market). Many people stock up now to last till next Pesach.

That being said, I did notice that B’gan just came out with oatmeal (and farina). I didn’t see instant, but they might have that, too. Also, depending on where you live, some frum stores stock up & will offer yoshon products throughout the yoshon season.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:25 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Yes! Anything you buy now is yoshon (from after Pesach till the new crops hit the market). Many people stock up now to last till next Pesach.

That being said, I did notice that B’gan just came out with oatmeal (and farina). I didn’t see instant, but they might have that, too. Also, depending on where you live, some frum stores stock up & will offer yoshon products throughout the yoshon season.

Thanks - I do all of my grocery shopping online. I wonder if the stores have yashan oatmeal when it's not yashan season, but take it off their websites when it's not yashan season... it just seems odd to me that a place like Evergreen would not have yashan/ Jewish oatmeal, while they carry so many heimishe brands of everything else...

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:27 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Thanks - I know about the yashan book - not interested - just wanted to know if there are Jewish companies that make instant oatmeal... I'm surprised that it seems there aren't any...

If you are seriously considering keeping yoshon, the book is a ‘must have’. Without it, you will end up limiting yourself much more than necessary. I get it via email (free) and keep a digital copy on every device, so I always have it with me for any questions that come up.

avrahamama

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:29 pm
Oats are the hardest to find yashan. It's the one grain you really do need to stock up on.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:30 pm
mamaleh wrote:
If you are seriously considering keeping yoshon, the book is a ‘must have’. Without it, you will end up limiting yourself much more than necessary. I get it via email (free) and keep a digital copy on every device, so I always have it with me for any questions that come up.

We're considering keeping yashan. Not decided yet. Literally nobody else in our community keeps yashan.

We already keep pat yisrael, and nobody, except sort of the rabbi and his family, keep pat yisrael.

We also keep chalav yisrael, and the only other people in our community who keeps that is the rabbi and his family.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:30 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Oats are the hardest to find yashan. It's the one grain you really do need to stock up on.

Why is this? There are plenty of yashan pastas, cereals, etc... why not oatmeal?

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:31 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Thanks - I do all of my grocery shopping online. I wonder if the stores have yashan oatmeal when it's not yashan season, but take it off their websites when it's not yashan season... it just seems odd to me that a place like Evergreen would not have yashan/ Jewish oatmeal, while they carry so many heimishe brands of everything else...

Evergreen is a great store but not the best option for yoshon (my understanding is that most chasidim aren’t makpid on yoshon, so the chasidish owned stores tend to be less ‘invested’ in it). If you are in Lakewood, NPGS usually is well stocked for yoshon. I’m not sure how it works online but I imagine they have some way for you to request.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:33 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Evergreen is a great store but not the best option for yoshon (my understanding is that most chasidim aren’t makpid on yoshon, so the chasidish owned stores tend to be less ‘invested’ in it). If you are in Lakewood, NPGS usually is well stocked for yoshon. I’m not sure how it works online but I imagine they have some way for you to request.

Thanks for this info - like I said, I'm in NY. Lakewood is, however, in NJ.

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:34 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
We're considering keeping yashan. Not decided yet. Literally nobody else in our community keeps yashan.

We already keep pat yisrael, and nobody, except sort of the rabbi and his family, keep pat yisrael.

We also keep chalav yisrael, and the only other people in our community who keeps that is the rabbi and his family.

If you decide to do it, make the decision before August & then start getting the emails (or even start getting them now, ‘just in case’) so you can figure out what to stock up on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen