Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yoshon seems so daunting

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:13 pm
I keep wanting to start keeping Yoshon but I read all these websites about it and it seems so impossible.

What about Cheerios? Life cereal? Oreo cookies? Pasta? It seems so insurmountable.

newmommy22

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:32 pm
You get used to it. If you have lots of storage space stock up in July and early August so you don't have to be busy looking at labels throughout the year. I stock up on cereal, pasta, and specific snacks like Oreo in the summer. Throughout the year I generally just buy Jewish brands marked yoshon. It's also easier if you are not makpid on malt. Lots of items aren't a problem then.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 4:56 pm
So many places have yoshon stuff nowadays, most bakeries and pizza stores are yoshon.
If you are on the east coast, most stores have yoshon cereals until almost November.
The main food to stock up are oatmeal, cheerios and life.
The star K has a quick yoshon guide that's very easy to use with the date for most common items! (it's only 3 pages!)
It's confusing at the beginning but it gets much easier with time, once you're used to checking dates!
Hatzlacha!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:47 pm
Also many years there is a cereal brand that will have only used winter wheat which is fine. Or you can use corn based cereals.

Flour has been consistently easy to find made from winter wheat.

avrahamama

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 11:57 pm
I am a member of two yoshom WhatsApp chats and it made a HUGE difference. And the site yoshon.com is amazing. They update it with all the codes etc.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:00 am
Excuse my ignorance
What does yoshon have to do with seasons

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:08 am
The mitzvah of yoshon has everything to do with seasons! Grain which is "chodosh" or grown after Pesach becomes "yoshon" on the second day of the next Pesach when the korban Omer would be brought. There are no products which are never yoshon. Any individual package can be determined to be yoshon or chodosh based on packing codes. You can have a "heimish" box of cereal packed in September which is chodosh and a Post or General Mills cereal packed in July which is yoshon. And after pesach everything is yoshon until the new crops ("summer wheat") hit the market.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
The mitzvah of yoshon has everything to do with seasons! Grain which is "chodosh" or grown after Pesach becomes "yoshon" on the second day of the next Pesach when the korban Omer would be brought. There are no products which are never yoshon. Any individual package can be determined to be yoshon or chodosh based on packing codes. You can have a "heimish" box of cereal packed in September which is chodosh and a Post or General Mills cereal packed in July which is yoshon. And after pesach everything is yoshon until the new crops ("summer wheat") hit the market.

Of course there are products that are never yoshon. Grain can be harvested and stored for years before being used.

The easiest thing to do, if you can't live in Israel, is to buy Israeli products. If it isn't yoshon, it isn't kosher in Israel.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:31 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Of course there are products that are never yoshon. Grain can be harvested and stored for years before being used.

The easiest thing to do, if you can't live in Israel, is to buy Israeli products. If it isn't yoshon, it isn't kosher in Israel.

Once it’s stored for years it’s yoshon...All grain becomes yoshon once pesach passes.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:31 am
Also, be prepared to overbuy. Every year I have oatmeal etc. to pass on to the yoshon exchange/school food bank collection. (Though this year we did sell it due to not knowing what would be in stores after Pesach.)

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:16 am
I thought yoshon just meant a Jewish brand for mezonos. Like a Jewish flour instead of heckers.
Thank you for clarifying.
Still confused, but now I know what yoshon is NOT

seeker

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:15 am
I think I gave up the year that I had an attack of pantry bugs in my stash :-(

But generally it wasn't that bad. You stock up on cereal and pasta usually in late summer, and then buy Jewish brands of bread if available. Then you check the dates list when shopping for flour and optional things. I guess you're in for it if you like things like pretzels and crackers and don't have Jewish stores nearby.

Ayor but my life got way easier when I learned that I could let go of the chumra when eating in others' homes. I'm sure this is not a universal opinion but that was the advice I received from my rabbi.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:43 pm
Okay. I want to try a "soft launch" of yoshon this year, and work my way up to being better at it. I already started buying the Jewish brand flour and barley.

Do I have to worry about rice? Pasta is also included? I usually buy supermarket generic pasta brands, so would they be listed?

What's the yoshon whatsapp groups?

seeker

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:56 pm
Rice is not counted.
Pasta is included, the yoshon guide includes supermarket brands.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay. I want to try a "soft launch" of yoshon this year, and work my way up to being better at it. I already started buying the Jewish brand flour and barley.

Do I have to worry about rice? Pasta is also included? I usually buy supermarket generic pasta brands, so would they be listed?

What's the yoshon whatsapp groups?

Rice isn't from the 5 grains, so yes, pasta.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:03 pm
Go to yoshon.com, there should be a WhatsApp link on there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen