Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Watching your kids teachers
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Well considering that we only have 1 room that is the living room, dining room and kitchen where do you suggest I go? The bathroom?
Not everyone has the space to give a kid privacy while they learn.

As long as you don’t pop over your child’s shoulder, unmute her mic and say hi, while I’m teaching (true story from yesterday- the kid was sitting and taking notes normally till that point)

Aylat

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:24 am
genius wrote:
Teaching in a classroom and on zoom with mothers watching isn’t the same. Talking from the teacher’s perspective

Zoom teaching is a very different skill. I completely floundered at the beginning and was just starting to get the hang of it when schools reopened What (Israel).

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Speaking as a teacher - if you are watching your kids teachers teach please stop. Just dont. It makes us super uncomfortable.

If I don’t watch my child, you will penalize him for not being on screen, not being in class, etc.
I try not to be on screen though, so teachers don’t know I’m there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:27 am
Totally understand that this is a whole new ballgame for teachers. I was wondering more about experiences like amother Slateblue where you get to see in real time the teachers that your children talk about and it either reinforced what you thought or changed your mind.

I'm a teacher, I teach online so I understand the feeling of discomfort when parents are listening but I learned to block it out

Aylat

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Well considering that we only have 1 room that is the living room, dining room and kitchen where do you suggest I go? The bathroom?

Hehe, lots of my pupils (teens) were in their bedrooms, even sitting in bed sometimes.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:30 am
Aylat wrote:
Hehe, lots of my pupils (teens) were in their bedrooms, even sitting in bed sometimes.

My kids schools have said they should be at a table/desk. My daughter, who just loves pushing buttons, has set up a table/desk in her room. She also doesn’t wear the uniform shirt.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:33 am
Aylat wrote:

I'm sure my kids would love to be in bed, but I doubt they would learn well. Anyway the baby is napping in their room half the day. Literally we have one table that they all sit around for class work.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Totally understand that this is a whole new ballgame for teachers. I was wondering more about experiences like amother Slateblue where you get to see in real time the teachers that your children talk about and it either reinforced what you thought or changed your mind.

I'm a teacher, I teach online so I understand the feeling of discomfort when parents are listening but I learned to block it out

It has given me a lit of clarity regarding dynamics that were not so easy to understand. On the one hand, I am much more aware of my child's learning and attention challenges, what helps and what doesn't. Additionally, I unfortunately see some very disappointing teaching behaviors.

And I'm not talking about zoom difficulties, and the challenges of online teaching. I mean interpersonal skills and the manner is which certain teachers speak to the children which has nothing to do with whether it's online or in person.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:55 am
I have learned that the assistant playgroup Morah is a much better teacher than the main playgroup Morah. She’s also a much better type match for my child.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
As long as you don’t pop over your child’s shoulder, unmute her mic and say hi, while I’m teaching (true story from yesterday- the kid was sitting and taking notes normally till that point)

Ok. Yes. thats bad. I try to keep distractions to a minimum but its hard!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:00 am
My kids' teachers are clearly doing their best with a bad situation. I know this is nothing like what goes on in class, so I really haven't formed an impression other than they the teachers truly are working very hard to make the best of a sucky situation. I do sit with my kids through the lessons, not to watch the teacher, but to watch my kids (they all have ADHD and would never sit through without me being nearby to make sure of it).

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:12 am
Reality wrote:
My opinion has pretty much stayed the same. The teachers and Rebbeim that I thought were great have proved themselves to be wonderful. The teachers and Rebbeim that I thought were out of touch with the kids or too strict are still the same!!

I enjoy hearing the good teachers teach so much! I love listening into the Judaic studies classes and learning while I'm doing housework!

I would say this has been my experience. For the most part the impression that I already had of the teachers from parent-teachers conferences and hearing from my children about them every day has mostly been reinforced by experiencing them teach on zoom. And most are great BH! And the "strict" one still comes across that way and the more "rigid slightly out of touch" one as well.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've only formed more positive impressions.

Same here. One son has a star rebbe, so it was only reconfirmed.

The other rebbe is in his 60's and I was almost skeptical of him. Well, the yiras shamayim and yedius that was flowing incessantly through the phone lines was astounding! I used to eavesdrop to hear the beauty and warmth of his teachings.

I raised the monthly rosh chodesh tip for both of them!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Ok. Yes. thats bad. I try to keep distractions to a minimum but its hard!

and I'm hoping you also don't call your child to come do chores mid-class or start questioning her lunch while she's answering a question in class (even if yes, she's eating chips and salsa at 11:30).
As long as you're not calling your child away from zoom or expecting them to talk to you during class, you're in decent shape.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:25 am
I "hear" what's going on from the next room, and honestly I'm impressed. BH the teachers have been working really hard.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:34 am
Our school has a rule that parents are not allowed to watch.
Teachers are overall doing a great job. I do have a few small complaints (such as the teacher trying to teach on a Chromebook in a park and reception fading in and out), though nothing major.
However, It is difficult for me to see how much my child really struggles behaviorally with school. The school did tell me but I have thought they were exaggerating the number of meltdowns based on inside reports I have received. The only thing I can say is THANK GD FOR THE MUTE OPTION!!

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:52 am
I thought my kids teachers were really good this year and now I think they’re even better and have so much more appreciation to them

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Our school has a rule that parents are not allowed to watch.
Teachers are overall doing a great job. I do have a few small complaints (such as the teacher trying to teach on a Chromebook in a park and reception fading in and out), though nothing major.
However, It is difficult for me to see how much my child really struggles behaviorally with school. The school did tell me but I have thought they were exaggerating the number of meltdowns based on inside reports I have received. The only thing I can say is THANK GD FOR THE MUTE OPTION!!

That's such an odd, and frankly disturbing rule. Why is that?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:20 pm
We have phone conferences - so it’s listening.
My girls’ teachers have patience like I’ve never heard. Their love for the girls really comes through the phone. It is just beautiful to hear.

One of my sons rebbes is also so amazing to hear. The boys misbehave. Press codes. And other shtick. And he is always so calm. And responds so smart. He was once even in the hospital overnight with a child and still did class where he told stories and Nach to his son.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

We have 3 small bedrooms - including mine, and 1 tiny laundry closet. Each area is setup with a 2ft folding table, light, chair and phone.
(Putting the baby in for naps has been hard...)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics