Home

"An Open Letter to the D.C. Right"
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Fox




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:35 pm
Ordinarily I neither start threads nor post wall text. However, I believe this piece by Bruce Bawer that appeared in American Greatness is important. It is, ironically, directed toward conservatives: the Republican Party vanguard and NeverTrumpers. But it hits at the heart of sentiments that various Imamothers have claimed not to understand; have dismissed as the products of simple racism and xenophobia; or have labeled as jingoism. It identifies the elite and explains the pushback of populism. It explains the deep hatred that has developed for journalists and media outlets.

Here is the link, for those who prefer it in that format: American Greatness


Great America
An Open Letter to the D.C. Right


You’ve shrugged off Obama’s culpability. And in doing so, you’ve set yourself against liberty and justice. The scales have fallen from my eyes, and the sight before me is a sorry thing indeed.
__________________________________________

I’m addressing this to several of you whom I know in Washington, D.C. Not all of you, but some of you.

I’ve known you for decades. You’re think-tankers, government officials, political journalists, and pundits. Some of you have been all these things.

For a long while, I thought you were the good guys. You talked about individual liberty. Some of you identified as conservatives, others as libertarians, still others as classical liberals. None of you are outright leftists.

And, once upon a time, you were my friends.

You cheered my books on gay rights. (Many of you are gay.) But when I started writing critically about Islam, you went mum. All of you. You didn’t attack me in public, but you didn’t express support, either.

But that was OK.

Then Donald Trump came along. He spoke of liberty and of putting America First.

Your public rage at him—and his supporters—was instantaneous. It was visceral, full-throated, and constant.

I didn’t remember any of you getting that worked up about Barack Obama. Ever.

For a moment, at the very beginning, I didn’t quite get it. Then I got it. Of course. It was obvious.

Trump represented an existential threat to everything you had—your job security, your social status, your sumptuous lives in places like Chevy Chase, Falls Church, and Georgetown.

You knew—somehow all of you could tell instinctively—that when Trump talked about liberty, he meant it.

A Blinkered View of Liberty

But you? However much you talked about liberty, at bottom you weren’t really about liberty at all—at least not the individual liberty of ordinary Americans.

What were you about? Well, for one thing, you were about the “liberty” of giant American corporations to move their factories abroad, even to Communist countries, without penalty.

For those of you who work at think tanks, this position was understandable: owners of giant corporations paid your hefty salaries.

Yes, over the decades, as a result of policies you advocated, countless working Americans lost their jobs to workers in other countries—some of them children, some of them literally slaves, all of them paid little or nothing.

Such losses, you asserted, were regrettable, but in the end everybody would benefit.

Well, look who’s benefited: The Chinese Communist Party. Carlos Slim. The Silicon Valley Billionaire Boys’ Club.

And, of course, you. Because nobody was exporting your jobs to China or Mexico.

What else were you about? You were about the “liberty” of any and all foreigners to move to the United States at will, hence driving down wages. In short, open borders.

A Blind Eye to Jihad

One of the problems with this position was that millions of those foreigners subscribed to a religion that taught them to hate America and its values and to applaud armed jihad.

But instead of acknowledging the unique dangers of Islam and adjusting your policy prescriptions accordingly, those of you who are think tankers established (or stood by silently while your higher-ups established) “Islam programs” and “Islam projects” and hired “Islam experts” to run them.

Uniformly, these “experts” supported—and some of them had even helped formulate—the Obama Administration’s stratagem of scrubbing the basic facts about the roots of jihad from intelligence briefings, military manuals, and the like.

With the help of these “experts,” your think tanks produced reports, articles, colloquia, etc., that whitewashed the Quran, argued that Islam is eminently compatible with classical liberalism, and maintained that the Islamic world is growing more secular.

To make these ridiculous claims sound even remotely credible, you and your colleagues consistently had to ignore mountains of evidence to the contrary. Your readiness to go along with this mendacity made clear your devotion, not to truth, but to the cause of allaying Americans’ fears of mass Muslim immigration.

(Also, in the case of at least one of your think tanks, it surely reflected your generous funding by at least one authoritarian Middle Eastern government. So much for your love of liberty.)

You claimed to be against “big government.” In fact, you’re all cogs in a sprawling Washington establishment that extends way beyond the constitutionally prescribed president, Congress, and Supreme Court to include agencies, think tanks, lobbying groups, news organizations, and so on, that work together to shape government policies—policies that might or might not accord with the wishes or best interests of most Americans beyond the Beltway.

Bashing Trump, Defending Treason

Anyway, as I say, Trump came along. He made promises. And he kept them.

He took on Chinese tariffs. You screamed about free trade, as if grotesquely lopsided one-way tariff arrangements could be called fair.

He took on job exports. You screamed some more.

And the economy boomed. Jobs came back. Americans began to prosper as never before.

And you hated every minute of it. You made that clear in your articles and TV appearances and social media posts.

When the Democrats tried to sell the patently phony Russian-collusion narrative and impeachment case, some of you joined in the pile-on. Some didn’t: such matters weren’t in your wheelhouse. Besides, at least some of you had to have realized early on that it was all lies.

But none of you blew the whistle on it.

The Obama people were trying to overturn the 2016 election—a reprehensible betrayal of constitutional principles that put the United States through years of hell.

And what did you do? Even if you didn’t explicitly parrot Rachel Maddow, you nonetheless aided and abetted this coup attempt by staying silent about it while continuing to slam Trump over the trivial outrage du jour.

Yet I didn’t take you on personally. I wanted to think we could stay friends despite having different politics.

But as the deep state persisted in its unscrupulous mischief—e.g., perp-walking Roger Stone from his home while tipped-off CNN hacks looked on—it became harder to see things that way.

In recent days, I’ve reached an apotheosis. It was triggered by a thread on one of your Facebook pages.

Some of the commenters were fellow D.C. insiders. But others (I easily discovered) were big machers in Hollywood and on Wall Street.

As it happened, the comments on the thread were written in the hours after the Michael Flynn stuff exploded and it was established that Obama himself was almost certainly behind the effort to frame and dethrone Trump.

But what was striking was that the thread wasn’t about that. There wasn’t a word about Obama’s perfidy or Trump’s innocence.

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing.

Proof of Obama’s crimes had been placed in front of all of you, and you all swept it aside without a moment’s hesitation.

The Patrician Class Defends Its Own

I found myself taken aback. I shouldn’t have been, but I was. None of you cared that Obama and his people were crooks. You didn’t care that this was about the fundamental principles of the American constitutional republic.

You were just that cynical.

I felt almost as if I was seeing all of you clearly and fully for the first time. And in that moment I realized I could no longer view any of this simply as a matter of having different politics.

In the next couple of days, I monitored your social media to see if any of you would respond in any way to all the staggering revelations about the plot against Trump. Nope.

On the contrary, as if nothing whatever had happened, a bunch of you sniped at him about the tone of one of his more insignificant tweets.

One of you called him “the narcissist-in-chief.” (Obama isn’t a narcissist?) Another said that this single tweet made Trump “unfit for any office of trust.”

One of you—a longtime friend of mine—even addressed Trump voters directly, telling us that we should be ashamed to have voted for him and ordering us not to do it again.

Sorry, but as a lifelong freelancer who’s never had to write a word at odds with my own conscience, I don’t like taking orders from people who’ve been paid generously to parrot their paymasters’ opinions.

The sheer refusal to engage with reality was breathtaking.

Get this straight: I’m not angry at you for hating Trump. Hate him all you want. That’s not the point.

I’m angry because you apparently feel no duty whatsoever to the national institutions of which, by virtue of your jobs, you are, for better or worse, the guardians.

But so it is. You’ve shrugged off Obama’s culpability. And in doing so, you’ve set yourself against liberty and justice. You’ve accepted perfidy and treason at the highest levels as part of the rules of the road.

What’s at the core of your being, I see now, is not a sense of principles but your identity as part of the Washington establishment.

You’ve posed as people who take seriously your responsibility to the American republic. In reality, your loyalty has been to the increasingly sprawling D.C. bureaucracy, and its tentacles in New York and L.A.

If you can shrug off the transgressions of Obama and his courtiers so blithely, it’s because you’re all fellow members of the same establishment as Obama, Biden, Brennan, Comey, Clapper, and the Clintons, with the same values and priorities.

Guilt and innocence? Right and wrong? Right and Left? Who cares about such things? That’s for rubes in Flyover Country.

What matters is preserving your privileges as members of the patrician class. What matters is keeping cosa nostra—“our thing”—intact.

For a long time, I didn’t realize—or couldn’t realize, or perhaps even chose not to realize—that this was what I was looking at when I looked at you.

No more. The scales have fallen from my eyes, and the sight before me is a sorry thing indeed.
Back to top

itsmeima




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 27 2020, 1:47 pm
OMG, oh my goodness, you joined the club, you wrote a post!

Welcome!

However, this is wayyyy to long, can you summarize it?
Back to top

yo'ma




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 7:40 am
Fox wrote:
Then Donald Trump came along. He spoke of liberty and of putting America First.

Your public rage at him—and his supporters—was instantaneous. It was visceral, full-throated, and constant.

I didn’t remember any of you getting that worked up about Barack Obama. Ever.

For a moment, at the very beginning, I didn’t quite get it. Then I got it. Of course. It was obvious.

Trump represented an existential threat to everything you had—your job security, your social status, your sumptuous lives in places like Chevy Chase, Falls Church, and Georgetown.

You knew—somehow all of you could tell instinctively—that when Trump talked about liberty, he meant it.

The bolded reminded me of (lehavdil?) why Hitler ym’s wanted to kill the jews, what they represented.

Side note: This guy jewish or is macher now “part” of the english language now? Smile
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 8:50 am
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?
Back to top

fleetwood




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 9:04 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?


When a reporter asked Trump( I watched it live,so it's not fake news) what crime Obama committed. His answer was,that everyone knows, without specifying what the crime was.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 9:36 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?


He's black. He wore a tan suit. Did I mention that he's black?

And a traitor to what? He rescued the economy. Criminal justice reform. Healthcare reform. Killed Bin Laden. And more.

Oh yeah, and he embedded a representative from the US Pandemic Response Team at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to monitor the risk of pandemic. Too bad Trump discontinue the position about 5 months before the first Covid outbreak.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 9:44 am
fleetwood wrote:
When a reporter asked Trump( I watched it live,so it's not fake news) what crime Obama committed. His answer was,that everyone knows, without specifying what the crime was.


Of course he did. That's the way he operates. And his base will lap it up. Look at how its being cited with approval here!
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 9:50 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?


I would assume he's referring to the Michael Flynn debacle.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 9:55 am
Reality wrote:
I would assume he's referring to the Michael Flynn debacle.


Can you name the crime?
Back to top

Mommyg8




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:11 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?


It's not you that's elite, it's the people that write the articles that you read and create the news that you see. That's basically it in a nutshell.

What felonies has he committed - are you keeping up with the Michael Flynn story? There is a lot that would come up if they wouldn't cover it over... and it's obvious that the author of this article understands that.
Back to top

Mommyg8




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:12 am
Thank you Fox, for this most informative article. I forwarded it to family members who will appreciate it.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:50 am
Reality wrote:
I would assume he's referring to the Michael Flynn debacle.


The debacle? You mean the Trump administration electing not to prosecute a confessed felon, because he's a political ally? What does that have to do Obama?
Back to top

fleetwood




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:52 am
SixOfWands wrote:
The debacle? You mean the Trump administration electing not to prosecute a confessed felon, because he's a political ally? What does that have to do Obama?


Exactly? What exactly is Obama's crime? Why won't Trump elaborate?
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:55 am
fleetwood wrote:
Exactly? What exactly is Obama's crime? Why won't Trump elaborate?


Because if he elaborates, a response is possible. Without elaboration, his base believes him, without question. And all he needs to do is double down, again and again.
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 10:59 am
SixOfWands wrote:
The debacle? You mean the Trump administration electing not to prosecute a confessed felon, because he's a political ally? What does that have to do Obama?


Since when is a confession made under duress and threats to go after someone's child considered a valid confession?

Currently, charges haven't been brought against anyone. Because it is a investigation currently unfolding now.

Do I think actual charges will be brought against Obama? I doubt it. I'm sure underlings will take the fall. As usual. But it certainly tarnishes Obama. He certainly had plenty of sketchy things happening in his administration. But if nobody does the work to uncover them they don't exist. If the media would have put in a tenth of the investigative zeal they are using against Trump they would have uncovered plenty!
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 11:05 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

Can we elevate the conversation for 10 minutes and make it about something other than our feelings? This isn't about you; it's about the people -- both conservative and liberal -- who influence conversations.

And if anyone is tempted to respond by saying, "Well, I think for myself; I'm not influenced by anyone"? Sorry, but that's delusional, simple-minded, or sad. Take your pick.

Jeanette wrote:
Can you name the crime?

Attempting to undermine the transition of a newly-elected president. I'm not a Constitutional lawyer, nor is Trump, so I don't know precisely what he could be indicted for. However, the sequence of events connected to the January 5, 2017, meeting and the lies by Obama administration officials and key Democrats regarding the Flynn case place the former President in a very, very difficult position.

Is it possible he isn't personally guilty of attempting to undermine the incoming Trump administration? Perhaps. You can argue that Bawer is overstating the certainty. But that's a laughable complaint given the public lies told over many months by elected officials like Rep. Schiff regarding "proof" of Russian collusion.

SixOfWands wrote:
He's black. He wore a tan suit. Did mention that he's black?

That's it! You guessed it! Everybody, everywhere is racist! All those people who voted for Obama and subsequently voted for Trump? Racists, every one of them!

Like the boy who cried wolf, you are making it harder to address real racism when it occurs. You are making it almost impossible to address the class inequities that increasing transcend race. As quite a few black conservatives suggest, I wonder if the immediate jump to "racist" isn't simply projection.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 11:24 am
Fox wrote:
That's it! You guessed it! Everybody, everywhere is racist! All those people who voted for Obama and subsequently voted for Trump? Racists, every one of them!

Like the boy who cried wolf, you are making it harder to address real racism when it occurs. You are making it almost impossible to address the class inequities that increasing transcend race. As quite a few black conservatives suggest, I wonder if the immediate jump to "racist" isn't simply projection.


Ah yes. And we see it. When a poster has no legitimate response, she calls me a racist.

Mods, please don't remove. I want everyone, forever, to be able to see what kind of person she is.
Back to top

Cheiny




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 11:32 am
Fox wrote:
Ordinarily I neither start threads nor post wall text. However, I believe this piece by Bruce Bawer that appeared in American Greatness is important. It is, ironically, directed toward conservatives: the Republican Party vanguard and NeverTrumpers. But it hits at the heart of sentiments that various Imamothers have claimed not to understand; have dismissed as the products of simple racism and xenophobia; or have labeled as jingoism. It identifies the elite and explains the pushback of populism. It explains the deep hatred that has developed for journalists and media outlets.

Here is the link, for those who prefer it in that format: American Greatness


Great America
An Open Letter to the D.C. Right


You’ve shrugged off Obama’s culpability. And in doing so, you’ve set yourself against liberty and justice. The scales have fallen from my eyes, and the sight before me is a sorry thing indeed.
__________________________________________

I’m addressing this to several of you whom I know in Washington, D.C. Not all of you, but some of you.

I’ve known you for decades. You’re think-tankers, government officials, political journalists, and pundits. Some of you have been all these things.

For a long while, I thought you were the good guys. You talked about individual liberty. Some of you identified as conservatives, others as libertarians, still others as classical liberals. None of you are outright leftists.

And, once upon a time, you were my friends.

You cheered my books on gay rights. (Many of you are gay.) But when I started writing critically about Islam, you went mum. All of you. You didn’t attack me in public, but you didn’t express support, either.

But that was OK.

Then Donald Trump came along. He spoke of liberty and of putting America First.

Your public rage at him—and his supporters—was instantaneous. It was visceral, full-throated, and constant.

I didn’t remember any of you getting that worked up about Barack Obama. Ever.

For a moment, at the very beginning, I didn’t quite get it. Then I got it. Of course. It was obvious.

Trump represented an existential threat to everything you had—your job security, your social status, your sumptuous lives in places like Chevy Chase, Falls Church, and Georgetown.

You knew—somehow all of you could tell instinctively—that when Trump talked about liberty, he meant it.

A Blinkered View of Liberty

But you? However much you talked about liberty, at bottom you weren’t really about liberty at all—at least not the individual liberty of ordinary Americans.

What were you about? Well, for one thing, you were about the “liberty” of giant American corporations to move their factories abroad, even to Communist countries, without penalty.

For those of you who work at think tanks, this position was understandable: owners of giant corporations paid your hefty salaries.

Yes, over the decades, as a result of policies you advocated, countless working Americans lost their jobs to workers in other countries—some of them children, some of them literally slaves, all of them paid little or nothing.

Such losses, you asserted, were regrettable, but in the end everybody would benefit.

Well, look who’s benefited: The Chinese Communist Party. Carlos Slim. The Silicon Valley Billionaire Boys’ Club.

And, of course, you. Because nobody was exporting your jobs to China or Mexico.

What else were you about? You were about the “liberty” of any and all foreigners to move to the United States at will, hence driving down wages. In short, open borders.

A Blind Eye to Jihad

One of the problems with this position was that millions of those foreigners subscribed to a religion that taught them to hate America and its values and to applaud armed jihad.

But instead of acknowledging the unique dangers of Islam and adjusting your policy prescriptions accordingly, those of you who are think tankers established (or stood by silently while your higher-ups established) “Islam programs” and “Islam projects” and hired “Islam experts” to run them.

Uniformly, these “experts” supported—and some of them had even helped formulate—the Obama Administration’s stratagem of scrubbing the basic facts about the roots of jihad from intelligence briefings, military manuals, and the like.

With the help of these “experts,” your think tanks produced reports, articles, colloquia, etc., that whitewashed the Quran, argued that Islam is eminently compatible with classical liberalism, and maintained that the Islamic world is growing more secular.

To make these ridiculous claims sound even remotely credible, you and your colleagues consistently had to ignore mountains of evidence to the contrary. Your readiness to go along with this mendacity made clear your devotion, not to truth, but to the cause of allaying Americans’ fears of mass Muslim immigration.

(Also, in the case of at least one of your think tanks, it surely reflected your generous funding by at least one authoritarian Middle Eastern government. So much for your love of liberty.)

You claimed to be against “big government.” In fact, you’re all cogs in a sprawling Washington establishment that extends way beyond the constitutionally prescribed president, Congress, and Supreme Court to include agencies, think tanks, lobbying groups, news organizations, and so on, that work together to shape government policies—policies that might or might not accord with the wishes or best interests of most Americans beyond the Beltway.

Bashing Trump, Defending Treason

Anyway, as I say, Trump came along. He made promises. And he kept them.

He took on Chinese tariffs. You screamed about free trade, as if grotesquely lopsided one-way tariff arrangements could be called fair.

He took on job exports. You screamed some more.

And the economy boomed. Jobs came back. Americans began to prosper as never before.

And you hated every minute of it. You made that clear in your articles and TV appearances and social media posts.

When the Democrats tried to sell the patently phony Russian-collusion narrative and impeachment case, some of you joined in the pile-on. Some didn’t: such matters weren’t in your wheelhouse. Besides, at least some of you had to have realized early on that it was all lies.

But none of you blew the whistle on it.

The Obama people were trying to overturn the 2016 election—a reprehensible betrayal of constitutional principles that put the United States through years of hell.

And what did you do? Even if you didn’t explicitly parrot Rachel Maddow, you nonetheless aided and abetted this coup attempt by staying silent about it while continuing to slam Trump over the trivial outrage du jour.

Yet I didn’t take you on personally. I wanted to think we could stay friends despite having different politics.

But as the deep state persisted in its unscrupulous mischief—e.g., perp-walking Roger Stone from his home while tipped-off CNN hacks looked on—it became harder to see things that way.

In recent days, I’ve reached an apotheosis. It was triggered by a thread on one of your Facebook pages.

Some of the commenters were fellow D.C. insiders. But others (I easily discovered) were big machers in Hollywood and on Wall Street.

As it happened, the comments on the thread were written in the hours after the Michael Flynn stuff exploded and it was established that Obama himself was almost certainly behind the effort to frame and dethrone Trump.

But what was striking was that the thread wasn’t about that. There wasn’t a word about Obama’s perfidy or Trump’s innocence.

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing.

Proof of Obama’s crimes had been placed in front of all of you, and you all swept it aside without a moment’s hesitation.

The Patrician Class Defends Its Own

I found myself taken aback. I shouldn’t have been, but I was. None of you cared that Obama and his people were crooks. You didn’t care that this was about the fundamental principles of the American constitutional republic.

You were just that cynical.

I felt almost as if I was seeing all of you clearly and fully for the first time. And in that moment I realized I could no longer view any of this simply as a matter of having different politics.

In the next couple of days, I monitored your social media to see if any of you would respond in any way to all the staggering revelations about the plot against Trump. Nope.

On the contrary, as if nothing whatever had happened, a bunch of you sniped at him about the tone of one of his more insignificant tweets.

One of you called him “the narcissist-in-chief.” (Obama isn’t a narcissist?) Another said that this single tweet made Trump “unfit for any office of trust.”

One of you—a longtime friend of mine—even addressed Trump voters directly, telling us that we should be ashamed to have voted for him and ordering us not to do it again.

Sorry, but as a lifelong freelancer who’s never had to write a word at odds with my own conscience, I don’t like taking orders from people who’ve been paid generously to parrot their paymasters’ opinions.

The sheer refusal to engage with reality was breathtaking.

Get this straight: I’m not angry at you for hating Trump. Hate him all you want. That’s not the point.

I’m angry because you apparently feel no duty whatsoever to the national institutions of which, by virtue of your jobs, you are, for better or worse, the guardians.

But so it is. You’ve shrugged off Obama’s culpability. And in doing so, you’ve set yourself against liberty and justice. You’ve accepted perfidy and treason at the highest levels as part of the rules of the road.

What’s at the core of your being, I see now, is not a sense of principles but your identity as part of the Washington establishment.

You’ve posed as people who take seriously your responsibility to the American republic. In reality, your loyalty has been to the increasingly sprawling D.C. bureaucracy, and its tentacles in New York and L.A.

If you can shrug off the transgressions of Obama and his courtiers so blithely, it’s because you’re all fellow members of the same establishment as Obama, Biden, Brennan, Comey, Clapper, and the Clintons, with the same values and priorities.

Guilt and innocence? Right and wrong? Right and Left? Who cares about such things? That’s for rubes in Flyover Country.

What matters is preserving your privileges as members of the patrician class. What matters is keeping cosa nostra—“our thing”—intact.

For a long time, I didn’t realize—or couldn’t realize, or perhaps even chose not to realize—that this was what I was looking at when I looked at you.

No more. The scales have fallen from my eyes, and the sight before me is a sorry thing indeed.


Wow, he is so spot on. But I tend to believe that those who really need to read it will either choose not to, or will shrug it off, thinking it doesn’t pertain to THEM, because THEIR (irrational) reasons for hating Trump make sense (only to them and their fellow Trump-haters) and their (hypocritical) double standards for obama and the left, are all fine and good. That is indeed sad. But the article is a breath of fresh air and truth, every word. Kudos for posting, Fox.


Last edited by Cheiny on Thu, May 28 2020, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Cheiny




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 11:35 am
itsmeima wrote:
OMG, oh my goodness, you joined the club, you wrote a post!

Welcome!

However, this is wayyyy to long, can you summarize it?


Sorry but you should read. You need to read it. It really doesn’t take more than a couple minutes.
Back to top

Cheiny




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, May 28 2020, 11:35 am
Jeanette wrote:
Sorry, I don't identify with this guy at all.

My sumptuous life in Chevy Chase and Georgetown? My social status? ROFL.

You think I criticize Trump because I'm one of the "elite"? I'm still trying to figure out what's elitist about me and my lifestyle. Is it my 2010 minivan?

And paragraphs like these make my eyes roll:

Quote:

Yes, Obama had been unmasked as a felon, a traitor. But you and your pals in the corridors of power in New York, Washington, and Los Angeles just kept on with the usual day-to-day Trump-bashing. 


What felonies has he committed, pray tell?


Just as I feared....

Mommyg8 wrote:
Thank you Fox, for this most informative article. I forwarded it to family members who will appreciate it.


I did the same. Unfortunately it’s wasted on those who can’t/refuse to see how irrational their hatred for the president is.

Mommyg8 wrote:
It's not you that's elite, it's the people that write the articles that you read and create the news that you see. That's basically it in a nutshell.

What felonies has he committed - are you keeping up with the Michael Flynn story? There is a lot that would come up if they wouldn't cover it over... and it's obvious that the author of this article understands that.


Thanks for attempting to explain it, but unfortunately there are none so blind as those who REFUSE to see.


Last edited by Cheiny on Thu, May 28 2020, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Last Letter Name a Place 30 Today at 11:32 pm View last post
Last Letter Last Name 26 Today at 11:19 pm View last post
[ Poll ] Starting the 3 weeks on the right foot 35 Today at 10:06 pm View last post
S/O Last Letter First Name 0 Today at 9:07 pm View last post
Last Letter Food Game 276 Today at 9:06 pm View last post

Jump to: