Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do people afford bungalows?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:57 pm
Also, why and how do the bungalow owners charge 2.5-3k per month for an old bungalow?

I am desperate to go upstate this year. There is no way we can afford it. How do regular frum families have 10k extra each summer? Please help me understand.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 5:58 pm
How do people afford camp? How do people afford to go to Florida? How do people afford tuition? I don’t know.

Radish

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:05 pm
I'd like to know the answers too😝

amother
White

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:06 pm
Who says they can?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:07 pm
I mean either they have more money than you or else they can’t afford it.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:10 pm
Don’t you believe that many people make nice money?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:12 pm
Not to be snarky but I really don't understand these questions as they seem to occur fairly frequently in terms of people buying houses or other relatively expensive stuff.

People have different incomes and different expenses.

People have different priorities.

People might have been gifted the item or experience.

People might be spending way over their means.

Again, not to be snarky, but are people hoping there is some central money tree and some imamother poster will provide them with the Mapquest directions? LOL

Mayflower

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:14 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Again, not to be snarky, but are people hoping there is some central money tree and some imamother poster will provide them with the Mapquest directions? LOL

That would be amazing!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:16 pm
A. They make enough $$
B. Someone else pays
C. They prioritize over other things and budget enough
D. They don't save as much for retirement/future things
E. They have summer jobs upstate
F. Illegal dealings
G. That's all I've got, but I'm sure there are other ways.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:05 pm
My mother always says there are three ways to get something- you earn it, you inherit it, or you steal it Smile

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:32 pm
We use our tax returns for our yearly summer expenses. Whether it’s a bungalow, camp, vacation, etc.

silverlining3

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:33 pm
I know some whose tax return money goes towards country.
And I know some who actually do budget so they can afford it.

Blessing1

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:52 pm
For many people it is a priority and they budget and save year round for this.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:55 pm
Many people have jobs. My friend's parents used to work all year to afford "the country" and then one year her mother got a job in a girls camp where she's been working for nearly 3 decades. She claims that's what saved them. Now instead of paying for summer expenses, they were coming home with money. She earned, kids got free camp. It saved her whole financial situation for life.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:00 pm
We don’t rent yearly we bought ours outright. We only had about half what was needed. We borrowed the money from a relative with a clear cut Plan to pay back within 2 years. Which we did. (Dh knew he had money coming in from a job soon, just didn’t have on hand to pay when money was due at the time of purchase. We wouldn’t have borrowed otherwise. ). We were a small family of 3 kids at the time, only 2 in school, both of us working. Otherwise lived simply, I shopped in target for kids clothing, still went to parents for yt. Didn’t have much expenses, other than mortgage and grocery.

Some people I know their parents bought it for them. Some just had the money. Some saved up, maybe mortgaged. And some rent. Owners need the rent to cover maintenance fees, otherwise it’s not worth it.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:19 pm
I know of people that put away $100 a week in order to not have a big bulk expense before the summer.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also, why and how do the bungalow owners charge 2.5-3k per month for an old bungalow?

I am desperate to go upstate this year. There is no way we can afford it. How do regular frum families have 10k extra each summer? Please help me understand.

I'm desperate to go every summer but stay home because we CAN NOT afford it. I know many people use their tax return money for it

seeker

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 11:48 pm
In addition to some great points made above, I know some families for whom a bungalow is not much more expensive than staying in the city. Generally families with many children who would be paying per person for camp or day camp. Day camps in a bungalow colony tend to cost less so if you have a lot of kids that adds up. Sleepaway camp costs a fortune these days, but if your family is in a bungalow colony then your teens can get jobs as mothers helpers or assistant counselors and earn money instead of spending thousands going to camp. City camps are run much more formally and generally don't have jobs for 13-15 year olds. Bungalows aren't cheap but staying home isn't free either.

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:02 am
We are rich.

Is that what you were looking for?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 4:00 am
I know someone who airbnb's her brooklyn house - she says with the income it comes out cheaper then staying in the city (day camps +sleep away camp for the older kids is a fortune)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics