Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Bra sizing, minimizing?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:42 am
Hi, I went to s clothing store and the owner was insistent that I was wearing the wrong size bra, and that the clothes would look better in a different bra. She brought me bras to try on.
the clothing DID look better in her bra! Have me more lift, and I was less droopy and hanging out on the sides

But I have some questions.

I was wearing 34Ddd, and she gave me 36dd, said, "see? Your other bra was leaving red masks on your back (which was true) because you're not a 34." Does that make sense?

I wear a padded bra because I don't like my nipples showing through. She said use something called peek? to cover nipple showing.

She asked wear I got my bra, and I said Macy's, and she said that the nonJewish stores always give bigger cups and smaller numbers because that's how they want to look.
I'm confused. Don't we ask want to look good and fit nicely in our clothes? What did she mean???

If the bra doesn't lay against my body in the middle (between the breasts), did that mean it didn't fit? My current bras don't either, because I've never found one that does, but this was even more not centered and separating in the middle. Is that normal?

After I took it off, I saw that tag said, "minimizer". Thoughts?

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:56 am
Quote:
She asked wear I got my bra, and I said Macy's, and she said that the nonJewish stores always give bigger cups and smaller numbers because that's how they want to look. 

This sizing method allows women to think they have a (relatively) slim body, but bigger breasts. It makes people feel good.

I always wear a minimizer. I prefer it. If you like the way this one looks, why worry about the label? Focus in whether or gives you the look you want - and if it still does so in a few months time.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:29 am
Yes. I got a 'fancy' bra in Victoria secret. Not so quick again. The skinnier the waist and the larger the breast the more s3xy. I've got nice size breasts as is.
People wear minimizers all the time. Personally I only use for simchas or dresses I need to fit into.

Or can it be your bra is worn out-stretched?

chanatron1000

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 3:58 am
Vanity sizing is the worst. The whole point of sizing is to be able to get a good fit.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 5:05 am
I used to work at a Jewish bra store, and it's true, we always gave a smaller band size and larger cup size. But not to flatter anyone. It pulls you in at the side and pushes the bust out in front, all-in-all giving a slimmer appearance. At the end of the day, your comfort comes first, so if you feel restricted, go with the larger band size. But if you go with a larger band size, you should drop a cup size. A 34DD is a 36D. That's just how bra sizing works.

Padded bras do not offer much support for larger sizes. I know you want to feel your nipples are concealed, so best to buy a sturdy bra and buy nipple shields, either silicone or padding.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 7:22 am
I had the opposite experience. The Jewish store gave me a smaller cup size, because they said I want a smoother look. I switched to a larger cup size (from a department store) and it was just so much more comfortable and looked better as well. So... it wasn't vanity. I'm not telling anyone if I'm a DD or an E or whatever, but if just felt more comfortable. I think the Jewish stores give smaller cup sizes but why would I try to camouflage my figure? It is what it is.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 7:52 am
Overall I find the Jewish stores are much better at fitting than the non Jewish ones. I have friends who think it’s nerdy to shop for bras at the Jewish stores, but places like VS do not sell good bras.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 8:09 am
There are many reasons why the bra fitter put you in a 36 DD vs a 34DDD/E. Realistically speaking, they are the same size (sister sizes) because they have the same cup capacity. The band is simply longer in the 36 bra.

Take a measuring tape and measure your ribcage (directly underneath your bosom-- if you are larger you might need to lift them out of the way).

The number that you get, without subtracting or adding anything, is your ribcage circumference. So if you measure 36 inches around, your band size is 36. However just because you measure xyz, some bands are simply made differently and you might need to go up or down a band size and cup size. E.g. black bras usually run tighter than other colored bras.

And yes, if your bra doesn't cup each breast underneath supportively, you are wearing it incorrectly. The purpose of the underwire is to go into the intramammary fold as much as possible and support you from below. 90% of your support should come from the wire; only 10% should come from the straps. Note that it can be difficult to find a bra that fits you perfectly underneath depending on your breast shape, so the goal is simply to find bras that fit you as best as possible there. Having the cups simply lay on top does not give you any support at all. It will give you a smooth shape, sure, but zero support.

As annoying as it can be, unpadded bras really are generally better in that each breast can fully fill each cup and not be molded into a different shape. It's more comfortable in the long run. You can use covers or thicker shirt materials to hide anything from peeking though. But honestly after wearing them for almost 10 years, I believe it should be a non-issue. Wearing a properly fitting bra is one of the most tznius things you can do. An ill fitting padded bra (which many are) can cause quadboob or unsightly bulges that are more noticable than poking out a little when it's cold. It's just reality-- sometimes you will poke out, biologically. And anyone looking at you there shouldn't be.

Rappel

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Overall I find the Jewish stores are much better at fitting than the non Jewish ones. I have friends who think it’s nerdy to shop for bras at the Jewish stores, but places like VS do not sell good bras.

Well, VS is infamous for its bad bras. I wouldn't consider it in the same league as a high quality boutique, Jewish or not.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 8:22 am
Rappel wrote:
Well, VS is infamous for its bad bras. I wouldn't consider it in the same league as a high quality boutique, Jewish or not.

Oh I didn’t know that. How are they so successful then?

Rappel

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Oh I didn’t know that. How are they so successful then?

Excellent marketing

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 9:20 am
Thank you, everyone!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 9:21 am
What About the center gore against my chest? Does it really have to be?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It should ideally sit against your chest. If you are uneven, this might be hard or impossible to achieve. Try lifting the straps.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 10:53 am
Nothing like going to an expert fitter for a good bra. Minimizer makes sense. The red marks are because you probably did need a size bigger. It’s worth spending more on a good fit and bra. It makes a huge difference.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Most of the time, yes, but this depends on a few factors. E.g. some women will never get a close gore tack because they are set very close together, or they wear Polish bras which go for a "soft tack."

It should be close to your chest. If not touching firmly, it should at least lightly touch your chest (depending on your shape and brand of bra).

You can achieve a better tack (and fit) by doing the scoop-n-swoop method of putting on a bra.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 28 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
You can achieve a better tack (and fit) by doing the scoop-n-swoop method of putting on a bra.

Which is?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics