Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Thoughts please

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 11:30 pm
I noticed, that if someone doesn’t like a conversation, sure they have the right to express that they are uncomfortable with the direction the thread is going in, but this is indeed a forum to discuss things. All things. The good. The bad. The ugly.
If one poster (or two) feels personally offended or “fed up” of discussing a certain topic-should they be given that much agency to have the thread locked down? Sure I am aware that ultimately the moderator makes the decision, but what about the freedom to discuss controversial topics in a safe space?

thunderstorm

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 11:41 pm
I agree with you 100%. Sometimes controversial topics need to be raised , for healthy discussion to help another person get answers.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, May 30 2020, 11:51 pm
Today's days people find EVERYTHING offensive. I honestly don't get why adults can't ignore threads they don't like instead of reporting like tattle tales.
In think the only threads that need to be reported is explicit intimacy, suspected troll, bashing, humiliating, and name calling.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I noticed, that if someone doesn’t like a conversation, sure they have the right to express that they are uncomfortable with the direction the thread is going in, but this is indeed a forum to discuss things. All things. The good. The bad. The ugly.
If one poster (or two) feels personally offended or “fed up” of discussing a certain topic-should they be given that much agency to have the thread locked down? Sure I am aware that ultimately the moderator makes the decision, but what about the freedom to discuss controversial topics in a safe space?

I couldn’t agree more. Some people here when they can’t win an argument on the facts just decide to get it shut down and somehow they manage to do it. If you don’t like a thread then move on and allow the rest of us the choice whether we want to continue discussing or not,

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:42 am
There have been plenty of threads where individual posters wanted the thread shut down and the moderators didn't shut it down because no rules had been broken.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 1:51 am
Agreed. We should be able to have respectful conversations.

Aylat

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:18 am
Yes, but.

If an OP asked advice about a situation in her life and posters took her thread in a different direction then I think she has a right to ask that the thread be locked and a spinoff started. And if she feels that the discussion was demeaning to her original post I can understand why she would want it deleted. People can respectfully discuss controversial topics without referring to specific posters' life situations.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:22 am
Unfortunately on this website, civil discourse rarely happens. Inevitably, one poster will say something, which will rule up someone else, then come the personal attacks, the generalizations, the defenses.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I feel the same thing!!!👍❤️

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:23 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I couldn’t agree more. Some people here when they can’t win an argument on the facts just decide to get it shut down and somehow they manage to do it. If you don’t like a thread then move on and allow the rest of us the choice whether we want to continue discussing or not,

So right!!!👍👏❤️

singleagain

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:24 am
But.
. There are also certain topics that are banned bc they are never civil. Topics that go round and round in circles and just get feelings hurt.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 8:24 am
If you're talking about the racist thread, it should have been shut down. Not everything we think needs to be rehashed on a public thread...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 9:11 am
Re the good, the bad, the ugly.
Let the conversation flow, if it doesn't violate laws of lashon hara, rechilus, and ona'as devarim. And with no ad hominem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics