Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
What are the chances?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 3:37 am
I have a set of fraternal twins. When we found out it’s twins we did some research and my grandmother said two of her mothers sisters had twins. That’s pretty much the only genetic connection. Google said fraternal twins are genetic while identical are a ‘coincidence’/‘random’. Not sure how true it is.
Either way, what are the chances of me having twins again? Anyone have more then one set?
Please don’t bring stories of people that have more than one set unless you specifically know that it wasn’t IVF or something similar.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 3:44 am
My brother has 2 sets of fraternal twins. No IVF. I know other families like that, but I can't confirm 100% there was no IVF, but it would seem so, as they either already had other kids with little break in between them and the twins, or it was their first pregnancy, as a young couple.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 3:49 am
Yes I have 2 sets of twins.
No Infertility.
My friend has 2 sets of twins,
absolutely no infertility.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 4:32 am
Following!

I have naturally conceived fraternal twins with no family history, hoping for a second set!

blessedflower

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 4:53 am
My sister has fraternal twins without any family history of twins. No fertility treatment. The twins are still babies so no chance yet for another set. Though she has many kids before the twins

Kiwi13

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 5:01 am
When I had my twins I was told if you have fraternal twins you are 4x more likely to have twins again (than someone who hasn't had twins), but keep in mind that that's 4x a small chance to begin with. So if the chance of twins is 1% for people overall, then your chance would be 4%, (I'm making these numbers up, I don't know the actual chances).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:40 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
My brother has 2 sets of fraternal twins. No IVF. I know other families like that, but I can't confirm 100% there was no IVF, but it would seem so, as they either already had other kids with little break in between them and the twins, or it was their first pregnancy, as a young couple.

Lol.
That's such an assumption.
I know someone who had twins a year and a half after she got married. Via IVF. Of course very few people know they did IVF. They knew they were doing it before they got married and started soon after. Not all the siblings even know about it the IVF
I know others who have children 18 months-2 years apart via IVF.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:48 am
My mom has a friend who is a twin herself and she has two Sets of fraternal twins.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Lol.
I know someone who had twins a year and a half after she got married. Via IVF. Of course very few people know they did IVF. They knew they were doing it before they got married and started soon after. Not all the siblings even know about it the IVF

And not just IVF, Clomid and injectables are given very easily which increase the chance of multiples.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:53 am
My BIL is an identical twin. My sister has two sets of fraternal twins with other singleton births interspersed. No IVF.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:03 pm
My dil has twin brothers.
Her 2 sisters each have a set of twin!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:43 pm
my mother is a fraternal twin. it is my secret wish

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Lol.

True, you never know. But both instances I had in mind, the mothers were in fact twins themselves. So probably genetic. But you never know.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 12:48 pm
Also, at my last birth, I shared the hospital room with a mother of twins. She seemed WAY too comfortable taking care of her twins. I asked if this is her first set of twins. She said "My third set". And she had 7 other singles in addition, K"H. And she looked relatively young. I think it's fair to assume that was not fertility treatments either.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:04 pm
My dh is an identical twin . He has lots of cousins twins on both sides. Recently I miscarriaed what was beleived to be a twin pregnancy. And none of these were ivf.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:07 pm
My cousin has two sets of fraternal twins. It runs in her mother's family.

I have a friend who has identical twin sisters. She herself has in addition to a bunch of singletons, fraternal twins, and triplets made up of fraternal twins and identical twins.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:12 pm
I know a family with a set of triplets and 2 sets of twins

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
My cousin has two sets of fraternal twins. It runs in her mother's family.

I have a friend who has identical twin sisters. She herself has in addition to a bunch of singletons, fraternal twins, and triplets made up of fraternal twins and identical twins.

Wouldn't that be quadruplets?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:37 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

To me it sounds like two were identical and the third was not.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

No. Two are identical and one is not. Which is essentially fraternal and identical twins in one pregnancy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more