Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Computers degree vs. Accounting degree - for dd

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:25 pm
Please weigh in, which would you suggest more for a bright frum girl? Pro's/Con's? Please share your opinions.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:30 pm
What does your DD enjoy?

I have a degree in Computer Sciences. I was good at math and liked computer programming (back in the day, my high school actually had an introductory QBASIC course - ancient stuff, but I found it interesting), but I absolutely found accounting to be boring.

My niece, OTOH, likes numbers and detail, and went for her CPA.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:36 pm
Why does she have to decide now? In most colleges, you don't declare a major immediately which gives one the chance to take courses to see what one likes. It also enables one to meet people in different fields and explore options.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:40 pm
Computer science is a very broad field and probably a field that is going to keep expanding. Jobs are well paying and she can find stay at home jobs more easily than accounting, and that's good for when she has kids for example.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 1:57 pm
most teens entering a computer science degree program already have some (if not significant) programming experience.... and they enjoy it. Where does DD stand?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:54 pm
Computer science is quite demanding in math and logics.

In the past 20 years many jobs in computer science were outsourced to low-wage countries, and this is a growing trend. Either you have to travel a lot for the job, because you have to serve clients on site, and if they can do it remote, they will outsource it to India, China, Vietnam...

But perhaps you do not really mean computer science, but other jobs "with computers", then it might be a different situation...

I don't know about accounting...

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 2:59 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Computer science is quite demanding in math and logics.

In the past 20 years many jobs in computer science were outsourced to low-wage countries, and this is a growing trend. Either you have to travel a lot for the job, because you have to serve clients on site, and if they can do it remote, they will outsource it to India, China, Vietnam...

But perhaps you do not really mean computer science, but other jobs "with computers", then it might be a different situation...

I don't know about accounting...

Are you referring to IT support?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
most teens entering a computer science degree program already have some (if not significant) programming experience.... and they enjoy it. Where does DD stand?

I don't think that's accurate nowadays. When I was in college (I graduated a year ago) plenty of programming students had zero background. They just heard about it and thought it may be worth giving it a shot. You don't need to have background; you need to have grit to learn the language.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:33 pm
Ora in town, that doesn't seem quite accurate. Hundreds of job postings for computer programmers in NYC alone...

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:12 pm
Let her take a beginner programming class in the summer at a community college and she’ll know if programming is for her or not.

Choosing a profession based only on wether the hours work for a mom IMO is a recipe for disaster.

Either of these professions can be practiced in frum environments and part time depending on her luck finding jobs.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:30 pm
There are many free or low cost computer programming courses online. My daughter did some code academy courses online in the summers while in high school. If your daughter is stuck at home its the perfect time to try it out.

Probably ditto for accounting, but I don't know anything about that.

She should probably do what she most enjoys but if she enjoys both equally I would definitely look into the one that has better hours.

Non Jewish mothers also want to see their kids btw. As do many Jewish and non Jewish dads. .

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:21 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't think that's accurate nowadays. When I was in college (I graduated a year ago) plenty of programming students had zero background. They just heard about it and thought it may be worth giving it a shot. You don't need to have background; you need to have grit to learn the language.

Mainstream college?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics