Home

Cuomo Announced Day Camp Can Open!
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


OutofTown Girl




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Thanks for all the recommended destinations! In your experience, which of them would you say tend to be less crowded, and which are usually more popular?


Prospect Park, Marine Park, Coney Island Beach and Rockaway Beach are often crowded, but you can definitely find quieter spots and trails. (At Marine Park, across Ave U there is a beautiful nature reserve with a marsh and nature trails - not usually busy). The marinas down Bedford and near Kings Plaza are not usually as crowded.

Most popular in our family is Prospect Park, of course (but Mom hates the parking there) and then Rockaway Beach (I think it's called something like Riis Park, Gateway National Recreation Center?) which is a little further of a drive.

Our favorite part of any of these trips is getting fresh air, seeing some nice grass and bodies of water, and moving our muscles on bikes and scooters.
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 9:55 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
I asked my son's school to do the same, but they said that it's not legal.
For those who are saying that you don't understand why parents want their kids in day camp so badly, maybe you could offer some coping strategies. I love being home with my kids, but what do you do when you're exhausted, but every time you sit down, you get yanked back up by your hair? How do you handle a nonverbal child crying hysterically for an hour straight? Is it pathetic that I'm looking forward to sending everyone back to school/camp so I could finally fold my laundry? When do you have time to get things done if every second is devoted to your kids?

Please don't feel the need to explain yourself to this haughty poster. We are all allowed to wish for daycamp at this point, whether for selfish reasons or not. We all, collectively, endured enough stress and anxiety in these past months to last a lifetime and genuinely deserve a break, in any shape or form.
Back to top

soap suds




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:04 pm
OutofTown Girl wrote:
Lots of empathy to all long-suffering imas and stir-crazy kids!

Do you have access to a car? All the public school yards/playgrounds in walking distance to my house are closed, but we drive almost daily to parks and walking paths. Here are some of our favorites: Prospect Park, Marine Park, Gerritsen Park, Rockaway Beach (forgot its official name), Coney Island beach, the marina at Beford Ave. & Emmons Ave., Manhattan beach park,the area behind Lowe's next to Kings Plaza where there are benches and a nice long path along the water for scooters and bike riding... We can usually do these round-trip in 1.5 to 2 hours so no bathroom needed. (Diapers for age 3 and down.)

No, we don't have a car. Technically, I can take my kids on the city bus, where they'll be touching the same seets and poles that who knows how many other people touched. But heaven forbid they should touch playground equipment!

I know that the mayor closed off some NYC streets to allow children (and adults) to play while social distancing. Guess how many streets were closed off in Williamsburg, where the child population is extremely high? You guessed it. Zero.

So basically, they're riding their bikes bumper-to-bumper on the sidewalk. But that's ok. The virus only tends to be spread in playgrounds.
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:30 pm
OutofTown Girl wrote:
Lots of empathy to all long-suffering imas and stir-crazy kids!

Do you have access to a car? All the public school yards/playgrounds in walking distance to my house are closed, but we drive almost daily to parks and walking paths. Here are some of our favorites: Prospect Park, Marine Park, Gerritsen Park, Rockaway Beach (forgot its official name), Coney Island beach, the marina at Beford Ave. & Emmons Ave., Manhattan beach park,the area behind Lowe's next to Kings Plaza where there are benches and a nice long path along the water for scooters and bike riding... We can usually do these round-trip in 1.5 to 2 hours so no bathroom needed. (Diapers for age 3 and down.)


What a sweet post!

I moved out of my 2 bedroom on the 6th floor with no porch years ago to move to a more suburban neighborhood. But I haven't forgotten what my life was like then. And I was better off than most of my neighbors. They lived in one bedroom's and didn't have a car. We always had a car because of the nature of my husband's job.

So for someone to lecture from their place of privilege really revolts me. Live one day of trying to fit 3 bikes in an elevator plus a stroller and some people will close their mouths!
Back to top

amother




Wine
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:32 pm
Reality wrote:
What a sweet post!

I moved out of my 2 bedroom on the 6th floor with no porch years ago to move to a more suburban neighborhood. But I haven't forgotten what my life was like then. And I was better off than most of my neighbors. They lived in one bedroom's and didn't have a car. We always had a car because of the nature of my husband's job.

So for someone to lecture from their place of privilege really revolts me. Live one day of trying to fit 3 bikes in an elevator plus a stroller and some people will close their mouths!

This wasn’t a lecture, only a helpful suggestion. I don’t think she deserves a “yelling” for it.
It’s okay to try to be helpful and give suggestions even though it won’t apply to every last mom!
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
This wasn’t a lecture, only a helpful suggestion. I don’t think she deserves a “yelling” for it.
It’s okay to try to be helpful and give suggestions even though it won’t apply to every last mom!


G-d forbid! The amother I quoted was so nice! I didn't mean to lecture her at all! I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I just was trying to explain that I'm not in that position now. I live in a an area now that I have easy access to green spaces. But since I remember what my life was like living in a cramped Brooklyn neighborhood, I would never judge other mothers more limited choices.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue
 

Post  Tue, Jun 02 2020, 10:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Why on earth haven't you been to the park?

People pretentd they've been quarantined, not allowed to leave their homes, for months. They haven't. Parks are open. Go out. Just socially distance.


Do you live on Brooklyn?
(I don’t think you do, so I’ll clue you in.. the local parks are closed)
Back to top

pg




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:23 am
Kids need social interaction with their age period!! Home with 4 little kids, third floor, 2 bedroom apt.. neighbors is almost non-existent since most of them married off their family. And no, I don't drive and my husband works 6 days a week with school at night. I love my children dearly, I played danced colored and painted these last few months. By now, they just stare at the walls with no energy to even get up in the morning! So it's not about me wanting them out of the house! It's about their mental state and happiness! I think people should start looking past their box and open their eyes to have empathy even they aren't in the same shoes.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:37 am
Some people can't afford it though even if their kids are desperate for social interaction. Especially now with the economy.

Probably the post that everyone is getting up in arms about comes from the pain of someone who deep down wishes she could but since she knows she can't having an outlook like this helps her get past it. I have a lot of empathy for someone hurting like that.

Personally I am surprised by so many people here who are absolutely no matter what sending their kids to camp, whether day camp or sleepaway. Because of the cost factor. Especially since it is likely it will cost more than usual. Obviously not everyone is hurting financially. But just judging from the amount of posters angry at the slow opening and citing of the economic factor, I would assume this would be on many people's minds and out of their budgets.
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Some people can't afford it though even if their kids are desperate for social interaction. Especially now with the economy.

Probably the post that everyone is getting up in arms about comes from the pain of someone who deep down wishes she could but since she knows she can't having an outlook like this helps her get past it. I have a lot of empathy for someone hurting like that.

Personally I am surprised by so many people here who are absolutely no matter what sending their kids to camp, whether day camp or sleepaway. Because of the cost factor. Especially since it is likely it will cost more than usual. Obviously not everyone is hurting financially. But just judging from the amount of posters angry at the slow opening and citing of the economic factor, I would assume this would be on many people's minds and out of their budgets.

Sometimes needs trump cost. I can see many families that have kept their kids home in the summer to chill after 9 long months of school, opting now for organized daycamp to make up for lost social interaction. Maybe they will take a loan, maybe they will cut back on other expenses. Summer 2020 is not like any other summer and needs to be viewed in a different light.
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Some people can't afford it though even if their kids are desperate for social interaction. Especially now with the economy.

Probably the post that everyone is getting up in arms about comes from the pain of someone who deep down wishes she could but since she knows she can't having an outlook like this helps her get past it. I have a lot of empathy for someone hurting like that.

Personally I am surprised by so many people here who are absolutely no matter what sending their kids to camp, whether day camp or sleepaway. Because of the cost factor. Especially since it is likely it will cost more than usual. Obviously not everyone is hurting financially. But just judging from the amount of posters angry at the slow opening and citing of the economic factor, I would assume this would be on many people's minds and out of their budgets.


I’m hoping camp opens because I’m one of those teachers who works in camp in the summer. I don’t actually need the pay that camp provides at the moment bH because camp takes all my kids and entertains them as part of my salary. I’m tired of the whining. Of the hitting. Of the constant snacking. Of the boredom. They need friends and space to run and maybe even climb (playgrounds are all closed here and the parks are so full I can’t let them run freely without losing sight of them).

Yes, not everyone can afford it, but the parents who have been struggling to keep their kids entertained while working online and have bosses breathing down their neck to get back to work can, and they need it.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I’m hoping camp opens because I’m one of those teachers who works in camp in the summer. I don’t actually need the pay that camp provides at the moment bH because camp takes all my kids and entertains them as part of my salary. I’m tired of the whining. Of the hitting. Of the constant snacking. Of the boredom. They need friends and space to run and maybe even climb (playgrounds are all closed here and the parks are so full I can’t let them run freely without losing sight of them).

Yes, not everyone can afford it, but the parents who have been struggling to keep their kids entertained while working online and have bosses breathing down their neck to get back to work can, and they need it.

I am not debating any of your points. Just pointing something out that a lot of these angry posts seemed to have overlooked.
As far as needs trumping cost...well, no, sometimes you just don't have the money. What are you going to do, stand on the street corner and beg for money??? I am always surprised by such posts they obviously come from people who have some sort of fall back whether help from family or credit cards etc. Some don't have any.
Back to top

amother




Denim
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I am not debating any of your points. Just pointing something out that a lot of these angry posts seemed to have overlooked.
As far as needs trumping cost...well, no, sometimes you just don't have the money. What are you going to do, stand on the street corner and beg for money??? I am always surprised by such posts they obviously come from people who have some sort of fall back whether help from family or credit cards etc. Some don't have any.

And some people are starving and sleeping on the street. I'm going to give up my lunch because of that now.
Back to top

fleetwood




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Do you live on Brooklyn?
(I don’t think you do, so I’ll clue you in.. the local parks are closed)


No they aren't! Parks are open. Buses are free. Go and enjoy!
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:07 am
fleetwood wrote:
No they aren't! Parks are open. Buses are free. Go and enjoy!


It’s safer to take a kid on a crowded bus then playground equipment? Touching seats and handles 1000s of ppl touched. With no sink to wash hands after

And then when you get to your destination there are no bathrooms for kids?
Is it better to use public bathrooms (if you can find) then local playground equipment?
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
And some people are starving and sleeping on the street. I'm going to give up my lunch because of that now.

Did I say anyone should give up camp? Your knee jerk response is really over the top.
Just maybe have some of that empathy that you expect from others for people who need it. For other reasons.
I am always surprised by people who expect others to feel bad for their tough situation but can't reciprocate. And get angry about it being pointed out.
Back to top

amother




Oak
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 11:19 am
fleetwood wrote:
No they aren't! Parks are open. Buses are free. Go and enjoy!

Well, I live in Williamsburg where the local parks are CLOSED. I don’t know how to post from twitter. But it would be worthwhile to check how Monday while the city was burning, NYPD was busy shooing families out of the parks that where opened (albeit illegally..and that’s a different discussion). So we locals don’t get parks.

Thank you for free buses that make you fold your strollers, hold the newborn in one hand, the toddler in the other, and don’t you dare forget about your face mask!

Thank you very much, but no.
Back to top

amother




Sapphire
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 12:48 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
I asked my son's school to do the same, but they said that it's not legal.
For those who are saying that you don't understand why parents want their kids in day camp so badly, maybe you could offer some coping strategies. I love being home with my kids, but what do you do when you're exhausted, but every time you sit down, you get yanked back up by your hair? How do you handle a nonverbal child crying hysterically for an hour straight? Is it pathetic that I'm looking forward to sending everyone back to school/camp so I could finally fold my laundry? When do you have time to get things done if every second is devoted to your kids?

My son goes to a private school. Maybe they have more wiggle room to make a summer program?
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I am not debating any of your points. Just pointing something out that a lot of these angry posts seemed to have overlooked.
As far as needs trumping cost...well, no, sometimes you just don't have the money. What are you going to do, stand on the street corner and beg for money??? I am always surprised by such posts they obviously come from people who have some sort of fall back whether help from family or credit cards etc. Some don't have any.


I acknowledge that many people have lost jobs and can’t afford camp, but there are many people who are still working bH. Those people need camp in order to keep their jobs. My family isn’t helping financially. We’re not raking up debt bH. I finish work in 2 weeks so it’s not the end of the world if there’s no camp, but if I didn’t, we would have a problem. It would come to a point where I would have to quit my job for my kids. For many working parents, camp is less expensive than quitting their jobs.
Back to top

amother




Chocolate
 

Post  Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:11 pm
We have to acknowledge that there are 2 groups we’re seeing here with very different needs.

One is the group of still bH working mommies who are struggling to keep their kids entertained while still holding down a job. They’re super excited for camp because it’s the solution to all their problems.

The other is the group of mommies who have lost some of their income in whatever form and are struggling to push through with less money while keeping their kids and themselves happy, healthy and sane. Some of them want camp, some love being home with their kids, and some aren’t sure how they feel or ignoring it because they can’t afford camp.

We have to acknowledge that not everyone is going through the same thing now and fargin everything their needs and feelings.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 6 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Anyone know if Jackson spray park is open?
by amother
1 Today at 8:02 am View last post
Places of Interest in or nr New Rochelle, for adults, open
by amother
3 Today at 7:59 am View last post
Camp Tubby 6 Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:13 pm View last post
Camp rayim
by Lakee
48 Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:04 pm View last post
Nu, who's suing to open NY schools full time?
by amother
77 Thu, Jul 09 2020, 1:43 pm View last post

Jump to: