Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
For those touting Sweden as an example

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:44 am
Sweden admits it did get it wrong

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sweden admits it did get it wrong

Thank you for posting this.

Aners Tegnell, the Swedish chief epidemiologist was wrong.

He tried to imitate the UK policy - and it went very wrong in UK.

Sweden escaped the catastrophy, probably because it has a much lower population density than UK.

And because the swedish people are socially distanced anyway, it's their culture... Sweden has a very high rate of 1-person-households, they do not hug and kiss, they do a lot of homeoffice anyway...

Travel over Easter weekend was reduced by 90% (as compared to other years) - I.e. the Swedes locked down even without an official lockdown...

He did one thing right: he told people not to go out if they had the slightest symptoms. People followed this recommandation to a point that the flu season was cut short thanks to Corona.

But his motivation to keep the country open was really reckless. he said in an interview in February/March that he followed the british modell, which said: as long as there are not many cases in a country, the population will not understand lockdown measures.

This is really a wrong policy. With a pandemic you should not wait until you have many cases. The sooner social distancing is put in place, the less the spread, the fewer the costs, and of course: the less deaths are to deplore...

This was the result of studies about the spanish flu in 1918-20, and it was confirmed again in 2020. Those countries who reacted rapidly and strongly (Iceland, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Israel, New Zealand) could contain the virus...

If there is an exponatial growth, a few days make a huge difference.

A German study found that germany implemented its measures right at the last minute. Had they done so 1 week earlier, they could have kept their death toll under 1000... Had they reacted a few days later, they would have had the same catastrophy as Italy, France, Spain, UK.

The USA, specially New York, New Jersey, Connecticut are a cautionary tale: they did more or less exactly what one should not do in such a situation...

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:08 am
I was quite outraged when Anders Tegnell, the swedish chief epidemiologist, blamed nursing homes for the outbreaks they had while not taking any responsability with his policy...

It is logical that nurses and personell will bring the virus into homes if the infection rate in the population is hight and there is no testing!!!

He was really reckless.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:40 am
A swedish friend told me that it was really difficult to get tested in Sweden...
So they seem to have artificially low infection rates...

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:38 pm
On the other hand, I think that the Swedish model can be useful for less densely populated regions... and for those countries who reopen after lockdown...

banana123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 4:13 pm
Ora in town wrote:
On the other hand, I think that the Swedish model can be useful for less densely populated regions... and for those countries who reopen after lockdown...

Tegnell says he's interested in seeing how the reopening goes, to learn what needed to be locked down and what didn't.

Not sure I would use his model for anything at this point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics