Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help help help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:03 pm
Ok so my son is 2.5 I’ve been training him since pesach and it’s just not working. He knows what to do, when and how just doesn’t care. He had days with absolutely no accidents (ok maybe only 1 day but a few days with 1 accident only) but most days he has 3/4 accidents or more. he just doesn’t seem to care what’s so ever. He wets his pants takes them off puts on new ones and brings the wet ones to me and says I MADE! If I hide his pants he’ll just walk around naked. I tried the treating the punishing the being calm the being not so calm (I know I know I shouldn’t be doing this) anyway nothing worked so far. I’m seriously at my wits end and need help. Any advice what to do from here?
Oh I even tried going back to diapers for a day but he just pulls them off.
Thanks in advance!

mommyla

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:08 pm
He's really young. 2.5 is young for toilet training, especially for boys. You certainly shouldn't punish him! Take a long break from toilet training and revisit it again in a few months. It's turning into a power struggle.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:10 pm
reward him for every 15 minutes that his underwear stays dry...either sticker chart towards a prize or small treat each time. Did u try that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:10 pm
mommyla wrote:
He's really young. 2.5 is young for toilet training, especially for boys. You certainly shouldn't punish him! Take a long break from toilet training and revisit it again in a few months. It's turning into a power struggle.

Thanks for your advice. If he understands what to do and knows how to do it why is he too young. What will make him want to do it more in a half year. Also as I said in my op I did try to put him back in diapers but he refuses and pulls them off.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
reward him for every 15 minutes that his underwear stays dry...either sticker chart towards a prize or small treat each time. Did u try that?

I did not, I will definitely try this! Thank you!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:11 pm
I agree with mommlya I don't train till right before 3, either its a huge struggle when they're not ready or they're ready and its much easier and quicker eta - or maybe he is ready and just needs motivation, you know your child best!

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:12 pm
If he takes care of it himself, changes himself, then consider just letting it go for a week or two and see what happens. He’s enjoying the action of seeing you get upset. He’ll eventually get bored of constantly changing.
If you do want to go back to diapers but him in a onesie on top so he can’t just pull the diaper off.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:14 pm
I have a 2.5 yo who is also capable of going on the toilet, but he's not interested, even for prizes. So I'm leaving it for now. We'll revisit the idea when he's motivated. For your little guy, I would just focus on getting the diaper back on him. Bribe him if need be. And forget about it for a while. 2.5 is young, and anyone who tells you their kid was trained at 1 year and 11 months just ignore them.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:17 pm
mommyla wrote:

I disagree. 2.5 is not too young to toilet train.
But you are right in taking a break and revisiting in a few months. I was very successful using the 'toilet training in a day' method. I tweaked it to my convenience but the basic principal stayed the same. Dry checks every 5 min with positive reinforces. Running back and forth when they have an accident (not 10x more like 4-5x). I did incorporate some old time methods such as sitting on toilet every hr or so. I build it up from every 15 minutes.

I trained a neurotypical kid this way in 2 days (girl) and and a SN child 3.5yo boy on level of 20 month old in a week. Its not easy, but once you believe a child is capable of toileting themselves, convenience on their end shouldn't be the deciding factor.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 3:17 pm
Zehava wrote:
If he takes care of it himself, changes himself, then consider just letting it go for a week or two and see what happens. He’s enjoying the action of seeing you get upset. He’ll eventually get bored of constantly changing.
If you do want to go back to diapers but him in a onesie on top so he can’t just pull the diaper off.

I am letting it go for a few weeks already. I let him take care of himself let him walk around naked if he prefers and just ignore it. I praise him every time he does go which is quit a few times a day and he gets treated I ignore the other times. I did put on the onesie he still manages to either open the snaps or pulls out the diaper from the side and it stays hanging halfway off him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training