Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potatoe kugel
1  2  Next

smile

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 2:32 pm
I have seen many potatoe kugel recipe with hot oil or seltzer.
What difference does these make?
I use normal cold oil.

Also if putting zucchini in the kugel what does it do to it (because my family doesn't like zucchini)

Frumme

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:02 pm
Hot oil, the way I've used it, makes for a crispy crust on the kugel. For example, when you heat your pan greased with oil in the oven right before sliding in the batter before reinserting it into the hot oven.

Hot oil right into the batter I imagine would cook the eggs too fast and make for an unappetizing texture.

Seltzer I haven't tried, but I don't think it would do much (same with seltzer in challah dough).

Metukah

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:06 pm
I use cold oil. I've tried hot oil, didn't see a huge difference.
I put seltzer. I've tried without out. It makes a huge difference.
The zucchini makes it yummy and creamy. Non zucchini eaters would never know.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:13 pm
Zucchini is just to make it a drop more healthy. I put 1 small one or a half large one and you can’t tell the difference.

Edit- I realize there is nothing healthy about kugel but it’s good to fool yourself sometimes into thinking it’s ok because there is a small amount of zucchini in it...

thanks

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:30 pm
I put in hot water. I think it keeps it from getting gray since it starts off hot already.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 5:37 pm
I use cold oil in the batter but preheat a little in a pan and then pour half of that in the already mixed batter. Not sure why but that's what my mom does haha After pouring the batter into pan with little oil, stir, so the oil from the bottom gets everywhere. Otherwise the sides will be fluffy while the center fallen in and hardish. I use water not seltzer. My Kugel is YUM! I don't put zucchini

Edit-I see now the poster above of mentioned that she puts hot water and thinks it prevents Kugel from turning grey. Thinking now, maybe that's the reason of putting in a little of the preheated oil... Come to think of it

tweety1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:47 pm
thanks wrote:
I put in hot water. I think it keeps it from getting gray since it starts off hot already.

To keep it from getting from becoming gray I put in a tiny scoop of vitamin c powder. My kugel is Stark white.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 10:34 pm
It is 1:30 am by me on Wednesday (I guess technically Thursday) and now all I can think about is that I want to eat potato kugel.
Thanks guys

smile

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 3:20 am
My recipe is actually without water. Just potatoes, oil, spices, eggs and matzo meal.
Maybe I once try with zucchini when family is not looking

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:53 am
We prefer our potato kugel with hot oil. I add it right into the food processor.

As far as water, that's for a diet kugel. In my opinion, it makes the kugel taste like FEET. I'd rather not eat kugel if it's made like that!!!

whewpy

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:15 pm
What exactly does the seltzer do?

Bruria

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:37 pm
whewpy wrote:
What exactly does the seltzer do?

Following!

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:39 pm
I’ve done seltzer and water interchangeably and saw no difference in the end result. Tried once hot oil instead of the regular temperature oil and no difference either. Don’t look for extra work.

shmosmom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:39 pm
I don't make kugel often, but whenever I do I try to put in a zucchini. I blend it with the S blade, so only I know about it. I also put a half cup of seltzer if I have on hand, and I preheat the oil but I'm always kind of scared of the Pyrex cracking when I do it.
Kugel recipes aren't set in stone. If you do want a set recipe, I suggest the one from @schugspiceamdeverythingrice.
Enjoy Smile

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:42 pm
To prevent from turning grey add the water, oil and eggs instantly and mix. The longer the grated potatoes sit the darker it will turn.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:42 pm
Water-seltzer suppose to make it fluffy, not so heavy

Bruria

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:46 pm
Surplus wrote:
To prevent from turning grey add the water, oil and eggs instantly and mix. The longer the grated potatoes sit the darker it will turn.

Thanks! What's the proportion?

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:49 pm
Bruria wrote:
Thanks! What's the proportion?

We’ve been making this recipe for years:

10 potatoes
10 eggs
3/4 cup seltzer
3/4 cup oil
Salt & pepper
Onion optional

I now do 5 potatoes, 5 eggs, 3/4 cup oil & bake in Betty Crocker it’s beyond delicious! Between a Latka and kugel and ready in no time!

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:51 pm
Also, I mix the eggs, oil, salt before grating the potatoes and pour the potatoes into the mixture so color stays nice

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:52 pm
This is really interesting. I've never used water of any sort in my kugel, not hot, cold, or seltzer. No flour, matza meal, or potato starch, either.
I work quickly and have never had an issue with the potatoes turning grey. I don't use any additives to avoid it.

I preheat the oil in the pan and pour half of it into the kugel mixture. I stir as I pour it and it doesn't cook the eggs at all. Then I pour the batter into the rest of the hot oil. It makes the edges really nice and crispy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes