Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
A mouse is in my house

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 6:56 am
No, this is not a Dr. Suess book. We have a mouse running around. Any suggestions for how to get rid of this very unwanted visitor?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:04 am
You can import either a cat or an owl (but not both) and let nature take its course.

More prosaically you can buy a mousetrap.

Try enticing it outside with a trail of crumbs - this carries the risk that another mouse will pick up the trail from the other end, and then you'll have two mice - and in a few weeks time an exponential number of mice, so probably not the best idea.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to buy 'mouse treats' which will put it into a nice deep sleep for a very long time... If you have pets or young children this is a bad idea.

If you really cant cope with with it, call an exterminating company. That will cost a lot more than the other options though.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:12 am
Personally I hate regular mouse traps and have always had success with a live mouse trap. It's a little plastic device that you put food inside (peanut butter or sunflower seeds work work well) and once the mouse goes for the bait, the door shuts she's it's stuck inside (it can still breathe). You just carry it a bit aways from your house, open the door, and release the mouse.

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:14 am
Search Amazon's products for a solution.

The "bestseller " products are pretty effective.

We had the same issue, and a bought these-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

..we haven't seen the mouse for a few weeks now, so we're hoping he's gone.

Good luck

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:38 am
You should set traps. If you live in the suburbs chances are you may have a family of them. Put out traps every night until they are empty.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
You should set traps. If you live in the suburbs chances are you may have a family of them. Put out traps every night until they are empty.

The mouse we caught in our traps was gray, not the jet-black we've been seeing.

But the traps we set last night and the previous night were still empty.

That black mouse is still on the loose. Just because the traps are empty doesn't mean he's not there.

Now....if you set traps for a couple weeks and don't manage to catch anything, then maybe the mice really are gone. But don't assume just after a couple of days.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:47 am
Get a cat Smile

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:50 am
I had set traps with no success. I finally had an exterminator come out.. BH that worked

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
The mouse we caught in our traps was gray, not the jet-black we've been seeing.

But the traps we set last night and the previous night were still empty.

That black mouse is still on the loose. Just because the traps are empty doesn't mean he's not there.

Now....if you set traps for a couple weeks and don't manage to catch anything, then maybe the mice really are gone. But don't assume just after a couple of days.

Try better food on your traps

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:03 am
Lots of steel wool to close up any holes. They can come in from any hole that is the size of a dime or larger. We had a massive one behind our gas stove near the pipes and sealed with steel wool and caulked it.

my mama

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:19 am
I had a mouse in the house. I put peanut butter onto the sticky traps. One morning the glue was disturbed but there was nothing on it. The next morning there was a piece of a cardboard box covering the glue and the entire peanut butter was gone. Never caught the mouse like that. After hearing it chattering in the wall for a week I just called an exterminator and that got rid of them.

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:35 am
Only glue traps work. Put peanut butter on them and line them up by all entries so they will inevitably have to walk through them. I caught a whole family this way.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:38 am
I don’t know if this is a bubemeiser or a true segula
They say have a picture of the kerestier rebbe hidden in your house
Can’t hurt
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics