Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are the numbers in New York going back up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:17 am
With all the riots going on shouldn’t the numbers in New York be soaring? Are they? If not maybe it’s time to open the world up again...

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:21 am
Give it another half a week. Remember these people in the streets are mostly young. And possibly haven't been to a doctor or would even call a doctor. I feel bad for their grandparents. If they live in multigenerational households ...

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:30 am
The numbers wouldn't be soaring yet even if people did get sick, it's too early. But hopefully they won't be too high even in another couple weeks. Outdoor transmission tends to be slower, especially in summer. And hey, plenty of them were wearing masks - maybe not for SD purposes, but still.

Plus, numbers were going down before this. The lower the number of active cases, the lower the number of new infections.

Hopefully it'll at worst be like it's been in Germany, or Israel, or South Korea, or any of the other countries that have opened up - a few clusters here and there, but not a massive increase.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:35 am
The numbers show 2 weeks later.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 12:32 pm
Many many chadarim are open since pesach, secretly, in basements. Shouldn't we have seen a big increase already?? It's well over 2 weeks

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:04 pm
Not so quickly.
The virus was prob in NY in January. Many ppl have it without knowing and don’t test. Ppl only stared dieing 3 months later. It’s a very slow process.
In Lakewood they are starting to see a small increase both in the frum and other communities
Even small increases are scaring drs due to the longeterm implications.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Not so quickly.
The virus was prob in NY in January. Many ppl have it without knowing and don’t test. Ppl only stared dieing 3 months later. It’s a very slow process.
In Lakewood they are starting to see a small increase both in the frum and other communities
Even small increases are scaring drs due to the longeterm implications.

That's not good news. Why would it be spreading in Lakewood more than in Brooklyn?

Mothers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:45 pm
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The thousands of people protesting the death of George Floyd have a “civic duty” to be tested for the coronavirus and help New York avoid a spike in new cases as it slowly restarts its economy, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.

There’s widespread concern that people packing in tightly for demonstrations, sometimes without faces coverings, could lead to more COVID-19 cases. Cuomo was particularly concerned about daily mass demonstrations in New York City, which is poised to relax some economic restrictions amid an intense, months-long effort to tame the outbreak.

“If you were at a protest, go get a test, please,” Cuomo said at his daily briefing. “The protesters have a civic duty here also. Be responsible, get a test.”

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 4:56 pm
ora_43 wrote:
The numbers wouldn't be soaring yet even if people did get sick, it's too early. But hopefully they won't be too high even in another couple weeks. Outdoor transmission tends to be slower, especially in summer. And hey, plenty of them were wearing masks - maybe not for SD purposes, but still.

Plus, numbers were going down before this. The lower the number of active cases, the lower the number of new infections.

Hopefully it'll at worst be like it's been in Germany, or Israel, or South Korea, or any of the other countries that have opened up - a few clusters here and there, but not a massive increase.

Numbers were going down only because people were staying home and social distancing. Let’s see what will happen as a result of all these protesters standing on top of each other, many unmasked, all ungloved, and the funeral service today For Floyd showed so many kissing and hugging and near each other. They’re putting everyone at risk

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 8:56 pm
Clusters here and there doesn't mean a huge spike.
Also, just because there aren't "crazy" high spikes doesn't mean some people aren't getting sick even if theyre not testing/being admitted to a hospital.

The numbers will go up and down now but hopefully the hospital will not be overloaded and therefore way less deaths.

There are also thoughts that like flu it is dormant now until fall time.

Who knows. I just hope people have learned the basic common sense to STAY HOME IF THEY DON'T FEEL WELL.
(As I say this I know of people who knowingly had COVID and went to work as if it was ok).

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
That's not good news. Why would it be spreading in Lakewood more than in Brooklyn?

I heard it's going up in Brooklyn as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics