Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anywhere in Europe with good food

loveit

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 7:41 am
DH and I have the opportunity to go anywhere in Europe we want for a week at the end of June. I really want a place with good food.

Paris is our first thought, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any other great cities. I have been to Paris, Rome, Vienna, and Prague so I'm looking for some other ideas. Anyone know anything about Spain?

Since we're traveling with my inlaws, availability of good kosher food is a must.

mimivan

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 7:49 am
I know that Chabad in Venice has a great offering of Kosher food and a restaurant..and hey, who doesn't love Venice?

loveit

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 7:54 am
I would love Venice as well, but I would like a place with multiple restaurants so that we aren't at the same one for every meal...hmmm, maybe we'll just have to stick with Paris

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 7:55 am
I second that. Venice is gorgeous and the chabad restaurant (gam gam) is delicious, and hteyre so nice and accomidating. And you can take a train to florence its only a few hours, there are a couple restaurants there too, and Im pretty sure they had like an ice cream/gelato place in florence that was awesome I THINK it was florence. hope I dont mean rome...

bubby

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 8:19 am
Try Athens...I understand there's a Chabad restaurant there. Also London has lots of different restaurants, but some are your pizza type, while others are fancy. There are many to choose from! My fave is Milk & Honey, but I don't know if it's still there Confused

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 8:29 am
Don't come here. We have one fleishig restaurant with pretty iffy food, one milchig luncheonette and a pizza shop.

loveit

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 8:31 am
lol, sarahd, where are you?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 8:33 am
Few places have many good kosher and glatt restaurants... you always need to compromise with good, or glatt, or even kosher in some places (there are cities with a few kosher eateries, all disgusting - it's even more frustrating because you know it's there...but it's yuck).
Paris yes. London I suppose so, although I don't know if my favorite restaurants there are glatt.

baba

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:52 am
Last time I was in Spain it was very hard to get kosher food. We had to bring our own packaged meals. There werent really any restaurants. Like the rest have already mentioned, good restaurants in Europe are very rare. You might have to settle for not so great food...or make your own if you can.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 4:45 am
I live in Europe and visited many places here...
Some tips:
ROME in Italy was amazing, we were there last november and we had a great choice of restaurants... I really enjoyed the food, the sightseeing and the shopping
South of France: Cannes and Nice- Also has a great choice of kosher restaurants, mainly Fleishig and 1 pizza place, Expensive but amazing place to relax and enjoy the sun
London: has a never ending list of kosher places ...
Paris: The same as London
Switzeland/Swiss mountains: Restaurants are not that great in the cities like Zurich, Basel, Geneva but you have some kosher hotels in the mountains if you like to ski, hike or even enjoy the snow at this time of the year.
Spain is beautiful and hot in summer but not too much kosher- what I know is that from my travelling Madrid has 2 great Fleishig restaurants and a kosher corner in El Corte Ingles shopping department stores
South of Spain: Torremolinos, Malaga, Marbella has 1 each. If you need to be there over shabbos, let me know I can give you the Rav's number. They are very nice. Also you can visit Sevilla and Cordoba, but there you need to take your own food
Sweeden : Stokholm- No kosher at all, we had to take the food with us. Chabad invited us for shabbos. The place is gorgeous though
Prague: has 2 kosher fleishig restaurants - beautiful city apparently.. I am going there next
Austria - Vienna: Also on my list to go this spring. There are a few kosher restaurants and stores to buy some products

I hope this helped you. if you need more details, I will be happy to help you
You can also check www.kosherdelight.com
A happy traveller

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:25 am
Rome has kosher restaurants? I'm happy to hear!! Smile

The kosher cantina that was opened on lunch in Geneva has closed, and it wasn't good at all Sad

I have been told the restaurants in Prague aren't good either, but mil is used to the finest stuff.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:32 am
Rome has a geat choice- La Taverna del Ghetto was amazing

I also heard Prague's restaurants are not the best, however I want to see the city and the Jewish area there. When you go for a long weekend, you can manage with what there is and with what you take along

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:37 am
Of course! it would be sad to limit ourselves for food.

parisienmama

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 6:56 am
Paris has amazing food and about 500 Kosher restaurants

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 6:58 am
you're Parisian??? me too!! is it true?? Very Happy

drumjj

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 8:37 am
london now has the most amazing array of restaurants and yes lots of them are glatt. there are indian sushi israeli types milky ones there are absolutely loads although if u want to go somewhere for nice weather I wont bank on london u could be really adventourous and find a cheap flight or eurostar and also go to paris at the same time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics