Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me make my Cholent taste better
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:03 am
Please help me out. Also, I put in tons of soup and water and it is usually dry 10 hours later. Thanks

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please help me out. Also, I put in tons of soup and water and it is usually dry 10 hours later. Thanks

- beans need two to three times their volume in water, so this would be your baseline: three glasses of water for one glass of beans... round barley also gobbles a lot of water, two to three times its volume if not more
- It migh be that your liquid is evaporating. So close the lid well. It might also help to put a wet towel where the lid closes so that vapor cannot escape.
- your hotplate might be too hot. I solve the problem by putting a flat metall grid between the plate and the pot over night.
- if you have a pot of hot, boiled water on the same hotplate as the tchulent, you are allowed to transfer water from the waterpot to the tchulent pot on shabbes (shmirat shabbat kehilchata). (but I fare better with the grid under the pot)

Last edited by Ora in town on Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:21 am; edited 5 times in total

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:16 am
You put soup in your cholent?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:20 am
Where do you leave your cholent? In a crockpot? On a blech? In an oven?

lk1234

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:24 am
The more flanken the tastier. Of course you could use cheaper cuts of meat but I find that when I use flanken in my cholent the taste is far richer. I also use a lot of paprika.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:29 am
Do you presoak your beans?

What seasoning do you use?

healthymom1

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:46 am
1 cook beans before hand (bring to boil, lower cover and simmer for 30 mins)
Add spices (salt pepper paprika* garlic* and whatever sauce you like)
Marrow bones + flanken
Cover with water!
Keep on low

Editing - agree with below. A little honey is great!

*a lot!

Last edited by healthymom1 on Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

c k

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 8:48 am
A little honey adds alot of flavor

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:35 am
I add ketchup, soy sauce, honey and bbq sauce. a butt-load of seasoning like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. a log of kishka, unwrapped, flavors it too.

what really guilds the lily is some OIL poured over the top!

turca

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:44 am
Make your own cholesterol* cholent mix. Different beans have different taste. Find out which beans you like the most. I personally don’t like kidney beans.
You also have to play with the spices, to find the ones you like best.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 10:50 am
If you tell us whether you cook it in a pot or a croc pot we may be able to figure out why the liquid is evaporating. Maybe the flame is too high, or the cover doesn't fit well.
Regarding taste: I saute the onions, add meat, add salt, pepper, paprika, either chop my own garlic or just add minced garlic, chili powder and cumin. I also add my rinsed beans (I soak them in a bowl starting the night before). I add ketchup and mix well, then fill up with water.
Over the years I've also done variations with potato, sweet potato, diced tomatoes, a can of beer, barley, a can of beer, pastrami, kishka, etc but the above is my basic go to.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 1:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I add ketchup, soy sauce, honey and bbq sauce. a butt-load of seasoning like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. a log of kishka, unwrapped, flavors it too.

what really guilds the lily is some OIL poured over the top!

When do you add kishke? I find when I put it in straight from the freezer, it melts and becomes mushy and soggy in the cholent. Only when I baked it first in oven did it stay firm, but I don’t want to have to do that. What am I doing wrong?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:23 pm
Hot and spicy duck sauce

lilies

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
When do you add kishke? I find when I put it in straight from the freezer, it melts and becomes mushy and soggy in the cholent. Only when I baked it first in oven did it stay firm, but I don’t want to have to do that. What am I doing wrong?

Is the cholent cooking when you add it? Water needs to be boiling.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 2:55 pm
lilies wrote:
Is the cholent cooking when you add it? Water needs to be boiling.

I usually add it once it’s fully cooked and I’ve transferred it from pot to crock pot and it’s cooking on low. Does it need to be added while it’s actually boiling?

malki2

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:23 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I usually add it once it’s fully cooked and I’ve transferred it from pot to crock pot and it’s cooking on low. Does it need to be added while it’s actually boiling?

I slice the kishke and wrap it very loosely in foil and put it on top of the cholent. The pieces stay whole that way and don’t get soggy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:33 pm
I use a crock pot on low heat and it is usually finished within 10 hours which seems soon for me IMO but it's true.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 5:26 pm
malki2 wrote:
I slice the kishke and wrap it very loosely in foil and put it on top of the cholent. The pieces stay whole that way and don’t get soggy.

You put it on top as soon as you put the cholent ingredients in, or after it’s cooked?

malki2

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
You put it on top as soon as you put the cholent ingredients in, or after it’s cooked?

Usually closer to Shabbos, after it’s cooked a while.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I use a crock pot on low heat and it is usually finished within 10 hours which seems soon for me IMO but it's true.

What size crockpot? How much beans, barley, potatoes, meat? And how much water?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen