Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me get my baby to sleep

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:55 am
I am absolutely losing it. I cannot anymore. Someone teach my baby how to sleep, or come adopt him ASAP.
He’s 9 months. He wakes up every hour. I read every sleep training book, tried every method. Moving him into another room made it worse, plus it completely sleep deprives my 3.5yo, who became shleppy and whiney and overtired during the day.
He has a very good schedule during the day. Morning nap from 9:30-11. Afternoon nap from 2:30-4:30.
Bedtime at 7. And then he wakes at 11, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. But I only nurse him if it’s been 3hours since he ate last. He has blackout shades and a noise machine. He eats and plays nicely during the day.
What am I doing wrong??? Help me!!!!!

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:02 am
Don't nurse him at all during the night
Did you try Baby Whisperer Answers all your Q

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:04 am
trixx wrote:
Don't nurse him at all during the night
Did you try Baby Whisperer Answers all your Q

He’ll wake up more and get really worked up if I try that. I tried for 2 nights and gave up.
Baby whisperer did not work.

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He’ll wake up more and get really worked up if I try that. I tried for 2 nights and gave up.
Baby whisperer did not work.

With all due respect to your frustration, something she explicitly addresses in her book is exactly that- parents hopping from technique to technique. Whatever you pick, you have to try for at least 1 week. Ofc he's upset if he's used to being nursed to sleep
But at 9m, that's more disruptive (especially if then poops). He doesn't need the calories.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:09 am
I think you should cut out the afternoon nap. Push the morning nap off by a few hours. My babies never slept that much.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:10 am
trixx wrote:
With all due respect to your frustration, something she explicitly addresses in her book is exactly that- parents hopping from technique to technique. Whatever you pick, you have to try for at least 1 week. Ofc he's upset if he's used to being nursed to sleep
But at 9m, that's more disruptive (especially if then poops). He doesn't need the calories.

This exactly. Pick a method and stick to it for a week. You’ll see results.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:12 am
trixx wrote:

It’s the only thing I stopped within a few days. Everything else I give 7-10 days. Many of the sleep books have similar or the same methods, so that wasn’t too hard to do.
When I nurse him at night, he doesn’t eat a lot at all. Barely anything, really. He latches, suckles for 5 seconds, and then he’s done. Just lays there. He obviously doesn’t need the calories- it’s just for soothing purposes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
This exactly. Pick a method and stick to it for a week. You’ll see results.

He’s 9 months old! That’s enough time to try everything for a week at least. And I did! I’ve been trying for the past 5 months. He is a giant overweight pudegball, pediatrician gave me the ok.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I think you should cut out the afternoon nap. Push the morning nap off by a few hours. My babies never slept that much.

He’s soooo tired at bedtime, though. He won’t stay up more than 3ish hours

camp123

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:39 am
Push his morning nap of until 12pm. And then afternoon nap if he needs only for half an hour.
Is he can't wait until 12 to sleep let him sleep no more than 45 mins until 9.30. My kids could never sleep at night if they had a long afternoon nap.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:49 am
I’m just got my 18/19m old to sleep through the night. He didn’t wake up every hour but at nine months it was every few hours. I tried everything but I guess he just wasn’t ready. I hope you find something that works soon.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:15 am
He doesn’t know if it’s been three hours or not. He knows that when he wakes up sometimes he gets to nurse and sometimes he doesn’t and that’s probably confusing for him. I would do sleep Training that is more consistent where you wake him to nurse or just stop nursing at night, or send in your husband, so nursing isn’t an option. I also had a baby who was a terrible sleeper and it was very hard. I think that sleep training was the best thing for her and for us and she started sleeping through the night around a year and our lives and her mood transformed

jfk92

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:18 am
Hi I would definitely cut the night feeds completely. Would he take to a pacifier? And id probably cut the day naps a bit to see if it helps. At 8 months I started to sleep train my DS who was waking up about 3 times in the middle of the night. I had to stick to a modified cry it out approach for about a week but it did work. Not gonna lie, it was supppeeeeeerr difficult, at times I whimpered but it worked.

rubyred

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:52 pm
Keep him up a little later. Feed him at 8. Play with him/read/bathe him. Put him down at 9. Feed him again before you go to bed and that's it till the morning. Babies sometimes wakeup between sleep cycles every 45 minutes or so, so resist the urge to go him and see if he will calm back down after a couple minutes.

rubyred

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:53 pm
Does he eat solids during the day?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics