Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
So if there is no camp what will you do? Any novel ideas?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:31 pm
Where I live school is ending this week. 4 kids were supposed to go to sleep away camp in NY. Still up in the air since no decision has been made. I must work. My husband must work. All but one kid can technically be hone by themselves and oldest could watch younger siblings. DH must be physically present at work but I could mostly work remotely if need be. Anyone have any ideas of something we could do over the summer other then staying put? Would not get one a plane and wouldn’t want to Drive far without my DH but can’t imagine kids being home all day every day the whole summer. What else is there or is this it!!
Only thing I can think of is driving to a neighboring state and renting a house. Not sure what that advantage would be other then spending $.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:30 pm
Buy a pool.

happy chick

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:38 pm
I'm in the same position. No idea what we'll do. One day at a time.
Following...

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:51 pm
Online summer school? I actually found a (free) online summer program thru a local charter school for my middle schooler. I’m in the process of signing my kid up. My husband will be working remotely from home during the summer and will be able to stay home with said child. I’m hoping to sign my kid up for math, science & English classes. My kid will also be doing zoom Bar mitzvah lessons with a tutor this summer.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:59 pm
in my area, the JCC and other places are doing online virtual camp programs and classes. They cost $. But another idea.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:53 pm
Lose your list minds, collectively.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Online summer school? I actually found a (free) online summer program thru a local charter school for my middle schooler. I’m in the process of signing my kid up. My husband will be working remotely from home during the summer and will be able to stay home with said child. I’m hoping to sign my kid up for math, science & English classes. My kid will also be doing zoom Bar mitzvah lessons with a tutor this summer.

Is your kid happy to do this? I’d love for some of my kids to do online summer school but they’d never be okay with it

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:05 am
Do you have a zoo/aquarium/museum/ funplex in your area which offers a family summer pass?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:06 am
Nature parks and day hikes. Teach them map and survival skills, and then let them test them out in a natural setting

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Is your kid happy to do this? I’d love for some of my kids to do online summer school but they’d never be okay with it

No, my middle schooler is mad. But I’m not giving him a choice. He’s struggled some with the transition to online/zoom classes and I’m worried he’s falling behind. Plus he’s been having major attitude lately (started therapy for that too). I think having structure and a regular schedule will be good for him. Plus he’ll still have free time for other fun activities too. The summer class program is independent study with regular check-ins with a teacher, I’m waiting to get more details how it’ll exactly work. But I think this will be a good compromise. He’ll get academic classes, bar mitzvah classes and free time for fun stuff he can pick too. It’s the best solution I think with this pandemic. Plus, it’s the most affordable option too.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 12:57 am
Rappel wrote:
Do you have a zoo/aquarium/museum/ funplex in your area which offers a family summer pass?

These places are open??

soap suds

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 1:06 am
Rappel wrote:
Nature parks and day hikes. Teach them map and survival skills, and then let them test them out in a natural setting
Seems like you missed the part about OP and her DH having to work.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:38 am
Sign the petition letkidscampsafely.org to petition cuomo to open sleepaway camps.

top mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 3:42 am

My kids would kill me Wink

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:05 am
No, my middle schooler is mad. But I’m not giving him a choice. He’s struggled some with the transition to online/zoom classes and I’m worried he’s falling behind. Plus he’s been having major attitude lately (started therapy for that too). I think having structure and a regular schedule will be good for him. Plus he’ll still have free time for other fun activities too. The summer class program is independent study with regular check-ins with a teacher, I’m waiting to get more details how it’ll exactly work. But I think this will be a good compromise. He’ll get academic classes, bar mitzvah classes and free time for fun stuff he can pick too. It’s the best solution I think with this pandemic. Plus, it’s the most affordable option too.

I don't know if it's the greatest idea to force a kid with 'major attitude lately' to do online summer school. Most kids would be super resentful to be forced to do summer school, and forcing a kid who is struggling emotionally to do something nobody wants....well, I would be wary of it.

I can't even see how one could force most junior high kids to do online summer school. It seems to be to be a recipe for ongoing conflict (how will you ensure he connects/listens/does anything?)

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:42 am
I think renting a house in the right location - with access to a swimming pool, nature hikes etc could be a lot of fun. Maybe not for the whole summer but for some of the time. And maybe you and dh can take at least some time off work to enjoy it.

byisrael

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:46 am
It is possible to find nice reasonably priced house on vrbo with a pool, lake/creek, kayaks,fishing ect...

It can be worth it because it gives them activities that they wouldn't have at home
Something like this;
https://www.vrbo.com/4695992ha.....=true
(don't know where you are...)
Then offer to pay the older kids to make a "daycamp" for the younger kids - it doesn't have to be for money, it can be for something they really want...

If they have new activities it will be exciting, and you can bring bikes along ect.
Still will be cheaper then camp

bobeli

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 8:21 am
soap suds wrote:
Seems like you missed the part about OP and her DH having to work.

Or the part where in corona world nothing fun is open or the guidelines take away from the fun

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 9:28 am

I doubt forcing him to do school online in the summer will help the attitude problem.

Eisheschayil123

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:11 am
I wrote about doing a zoom activity camp that my daughter was thinking of doing.I think an arts and crafts activity or baking just to break up the day for kids who can do it independently. A couple of years ago I made camp mommy.My 2 kids at the time helped me plan what they liked to do. We did themes and I had surprises for them, but it was low budget. I signed up for kidsbowlfree.com and got 2 free games at a bowling alley 20 min. Away from my house. We did it 2x a week or more.( I bought them bowling shoes) so it was free and brought our own candy’s/ snacks). We did scavenger hunts in stores. We went to the library often as my kids really enjoyed that.Technically an older child could have fun running a camp for the younger ones.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children