Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
So if there is no camp what will you do? Any novel ideas?
Previous  1  2

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:18 am
Eisheschayil123 wrote:
I wrote about doing a zoom activity camp that my daughter was thinking of doing.I think an arts and crafts activity or baking just to break up the day for kids who can do it independently. A couple of years ago I made camp mommy.My 2 kids at the time helped me plan what they liked to do. We did themes and I had surprises for them, but it was low budget. I signed up for kidsbowlfree.com and got 2 free games at a bowling alley 20 min. Away from my house. We did it 2x a week or more.( I bought them bowling shoes) so it was free and brought our own candy’s/ snacks). We did scavenger hunts in stores. We went to the library often as my kids really enjoyed that.Technically an older child could have fun running a camp for the younger ones.

We can't do any of those activities where I live. You can't bring kids into stores or libraries, bowling alley is closed.

Eisheschayil123

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:51 am
These options may open up over the next few weeks. Hiking and biking are great activities that you can do now. It may pay to go somewhere you would find more open facilities if they don’t open by you!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:10 am
Fir all it's worth if you're considering zoom daycamp, camp rena is going virtual and it looks like a lot of fun:)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:28 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Fir all it's worth if you're considering zoom daycamp, camp rena is going virtual and it looks like a lot of fun:)

Yea, for $2k a kid! Surprised

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:55 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

What ??????

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:55 am
I would def look to either rent or buy a pool if u have space or even better to rent a house somewhere u can drive to. Somehwere with grounds and a pool. U work in morn while kids entertain or take turns entertaining younger ones and swim time every afternoon. Late afternoon is a movie (more work time for you). Dinner and games or crafts in eve. Idealistic I know but maybe some or all cam be done?

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:33 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

According to their website , it’s $775 a whole summer.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:36 am
Wow so many great ideas here!

I second the posters who discourage the idea of summer school unless a kid is the type begging for it and is initiated by the child.

This is a challenging time for adults and children alike.

I would make my choices based on creating and nourishing a healthy happy atmosphere in the home and in the parents and child/children.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:21 am
Libraries might be having remote summer programs. See if your local libraries are and how many you can enroll in.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:46 am
Isn’t day camp allowed to open? Why not send the kids to day camp

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I don't know if it's the greatest idea to force a kid with 'major attitude lately' to do online summer school. Most kids would be super resentful to be forced to do summer school, and forcing a kid who is struggling emotionally to do something nobody wants....well, I would be wary of it.

I can't even see how one could force most junior high kids to do online summer school. It seems to be to be a recipe for ongoing conflict (how will you ensure he connects/listens/does anything?)

That’s one school of thought. The other would be that as adults and parents we can make decisions we think are best after evaluating what we know including that the DC objects. The isolation is very difficult for children so I would consider the attitude to be circumstances.

I have a high school DS. We just started with academics at home recently and it has been really good for him. He is very happy with himself when he solves a difficult problem or can learn more about something he’s personally interested. I bought books on Amazon and found homeschool or free sites. I’ve been flexible with assignments and due dates. He does about 4 hours each day of focused secular learning including standardized testing practice. It was a healthy decision though we were all hesitant. My DS is not getting the full level of academics with Corona.

I couldn’t wait wait on Cuomo to decide about camp before I managed my household.

ETA: art, music, and skills like cooking baking knitting can easily be scheduled daily. Even day camp isn’t the full day. We’ve also added these in.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children