Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona/NYC/Elderly parents

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:52 pm
Hi,
What is everyone doing about seeing their parents?
If you already had Corona and your family recovered awhile back....Are you seeing your parents
If not, how long are you waiting till fulll reopening ?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 5:56 pm
Not sure they count as elderly but my parents are late 60s. We are early 40s. We all had it (confirmed) in March. But because I’m back at work as an essential worker and my kid is in school (for kids of essential workers we only saw my parents once during all this time (my dad was sitting shiva. We wore masks and kept as much distance as possible) We are considering seeing them again for Father’s Day but have to figure out a way that feels safe for all of us

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:00 pm
When I say elderly , I mean over 70.
I wish there was some kind of guidance for this .
Can someone help me figuire it out .

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:02 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
When I say elderly , I mean over 70.
I wish there was some kind of guidance for this .
Can someone help me figuire it out .

Are there any underlying conditions?

Without underlying conditions, we used to visit outside only. Now more recently we visit indoors but we keep masks on. We sit 8 feet apart. And we rewipe everything touched after. We go inside because my mom wants a little more normalcy after being indoors for so many months. So we try to balance it and still be very careful.

With underlying conditions I would only visit outdoors at least 6 feet apart with masks.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Are there any underlying conditions?

Without underlying conditions, we used to visit outside only. Now more recently we visit indoors but we keep masks on. We sit 8 feet apart. And we rewipe everything touched after. We go inside because my mom wants a little more normalcy after being indoors for so many months. So we try to balance it and still be very careful.

With underlying conditions I would only visit outdoors at least 6 feet apart with masks.

No real underlining conditions, besides BP.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:08 pm
Parents live in an apartment, and I am blessed with a very large backyard. My parents come about once a week, and sit in my backyard for about two hours. They do not come through my house, they walk around the side, there are chairs which are designated just for them, and we sit about 15 to 20 feet away from them. They do not come into my house to use the restroom (their choice) although I do have one which is only for them and my family is not permitted to use in case they want to.

I do get them Instacart,but I do not feed them anything which I have touched or breathed on or near. I do not eat while they're in my backyard, unless they bring something themselves, and they bring their own water bottle, but my mother doesn't drink because she doesn't wanna have to use my bathroom.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Parents live in an apartment, and I am blessed with a very large backyard. My parents come about once a week, and sit in my backyard for about two hours. They do not come through my house, they walk around the side, there are chairs which are designated just for them, and we sit about 15 to 20 feet away from them. They do not come into my house to use the restroom (their choice) although I do have one which is only for them and my family is not permitted to use in case they want to.

I do get them Instacart,but I do not feed them anything which I have touched or breathed on or near. I do not eat while they're in my backyard, unless they bring something themselves, and they bring their own water bottle, but my mother doesn't drink because she doesn't wanna have to use my bathroom.

Interesting 🤔, thank you !!

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:12 pm
So challenging!

Some great suggestions here. You can check with your doctors. I agree it makes sense if possible to visit outside with SD hand sanitizing and the like. Helpful that the weather is summer here as you are in NYC.

you will find a smart way to see them and it is so important

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:13 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
No real underlining conditions, besides BP.

So we started visiting her indoors in her home. We come in masked and with clean hands. We sit 8 feet apart and visit for 2 hours. Then we rewipe with antibacterial wipes.

We do this because my mom wants us to come inside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics