Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sleep training

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:36 am
My 18 month old does not sleep through the night. he wakes up many times. to fall asleep he needs me to do something for him. he does fall asleep the first time round on his own, but after one sleep cycle he is up and needs me. (this also happens by nap time.)
Any tips???
I am NOT into any kind of scream it out methods. I am looking for a gentle approach. I am very tired at night and have very limited energy to be up with him.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:45 am
What does he need from you?

If you are putting him down with a bottle, you need to stop. If he's always wet when he wakes up in the middle of the night, it's because he feels damp and uncomfortable. DD never had a bottle in her crib, she slept well, and night trained early.

Make the biggest meal of the day the last meal, and make that the meal with the most carbs in it. Carbs make you sleepy, and take a long time to digest so you won't wake up hungry at 3am.

Try to figure out if anything else might be bothering him. Tangled blanket, PJs too hot or too cold? Does he need a fan in his room for white noise? DD loved her fan.

Does he take a paci? It may be falling out of his mouth and waking him up. Put it back in and hold it for a second, but do not make eye contact, and do not talk to him. That will just make him more alert.

In general, give as little input as possible. Be boring! This lets him know that the middle of the night is not the time to seek out social interaction.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:54 am
Co-sleep?

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:54 am
Thank you for responding!

He wants me to nurse him!
He is not hungry and eats nicely supper time.
It is not the nourishment he needs, it is ME he needs. so when I have energy, I sing to him or stroke his cheek until he falls back to sleep, but I dont always have energy to do this a few time a night for a half an hour. I would like to teach him the skill of falling asleep on his own without needing me at the end of every sleep cycle. He does not take a passy or a bottle.

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:57 am
Ora in town wrote:
Co-sleep?

He loves to be in my bed!
I love him to, but I need my sleep!
when I move him to his crib 50% of the time he wakes up and wants to come back into bed with me.

rivkam

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:11 am
I had dh sleep with the baby and I slept in the other room so that I could night wean. It worked well without needing to do cio. Dh would comfort the baby but obviously not nurse

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:12 am
rivkam wrote:
I had dh sleep with the baby and I slept in the other room so that I could night wean. It worked well without needing to do cio. Dh would comfort the baby but obviously not nurse

I heard that idea before, but it wont work for me.

bsy

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:43 am
Any method will involve crying, even if it's not cio

Goldgold

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:47 am
bsy wrote:
Any method will involve crying, even if it's not cio

of course.
crying is ok. I just want to be there for him when he cries.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:57 am

I found this quite interesting... start at 3:12

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:43 am
I actually just had this with 18m old. He wouldn’t even go to sleep in his own crib. I just kept trying (Husband went to comfort him if he woke up) and now he goes to sleep in his own crib and sleeps the night. Although I think I need Black out curtains because the past couple nights he’s been waking up after only 10-11 hours of sleep. Some say that’s enough because she takes a 2-3 hour nap during the day but it’s way to early although I really shouldn’t complain.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:56 pm
I have an 11 month old who only falls asleep on me or in the rocking chair and she mostly cosleeps with me at night because if I transfer her back to bed she will wake up during the day I push her in the stroller but then she only takes a half hour nap. Any ideas that worked for u?? I will not use the CIO approach my older children always took a pacifier this one will not

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:58 pm
Look up the GENTLE sleep method and get a coach

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 2:09 pm
What is that? And what’s a cosch?

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:37 pm
18 months old are smart. Any method will involve crying.
The only way to get him to sleep through the night is to remove yourself at bedtime (and wakes during the early part of the night). He needs to fall asleep without you there.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:22 pm
My baby is 11 months kah I just used that forum to know if anything worked for them

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:59 pm
Does he have a history of reflux?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics